View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

ok... here in New Zealand we have a very large variety of mk3 bodies but here is how you can tell the differences on them regardless of what year the registration ticket says it is
(just as a sidenote these body differences may not apply to northern hemisphere, most of what is shown here is what japan sent to the southern hemisphere )

86 supra bodies....

aerial in back windscreen

body moulding looks like this on jdm models (usa used 87 moulding from 86-88)

windscreen washer jets are small stubby ones like this

86's also have a parklight switch whereas in nz in 87 they got changed for a coin slot (in the usa i believe they still have parklight switches)

86 supras are also narrow body (flat sides, guards aren't flared out etc)
here's a pic of a narrow body & widebody... you can see the yellow one has wider front guards than the white one

also as shown above... the white supra is an 86 but had the 89 bumper and spoiler conversion done... so 86-88 = yellow bumper, 89-92 = white bumper (if you look at the turn signals you will notice that they are exactly the same as the yellow ones.. 86-88 turn signals)

taillights look like this

factory 86 spoiler shown above

87 bodies...

87 moulding is exclusive, it is not on any other year... you will never mistake an 87 unless someone went through the trouble of changing it all (which i doubt someone would go through the trouble with)
87 moulding comes in 3 colours... burgundy, gray & blue

87 moulding pic

windscreen washer jets change for 89 to longer nice looking ones

as shown previous... widebody & narrowbody
all 87 supras are widebody from the factory
the yellow one is an 87

taillights and spoiler are still the same as 86

87's also came with seatbelt holders which the 86's didn't come with (in the USA only 89+ got seatbelt holders)

87's had a coin slot in replacement of the parklight switch (in nz, not sure of other countries, USA 87's did not come with coin slots factory)

88 bodies...

back to narrow body style
still retains coin slot
no seat belt holders in 88's
still have the newer style windscreen washer jets
still have 86 style taillights and spoiler
back to 86 style moulding

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!

Last edited by suprra_girl; 10-06-2006 at 06:59 AM.
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote