View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question replacement of dash bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-mk3-B View Post
Thanks 907mge for the video, really helpful! So i pulled the dash earlier today and switched the bulbs with just some Eiko bulbs. And they worked just a tad bit better than what i had before, but im still not getting an efficient amount of light to the numbers. So im wondering is my problem probably just a matter of getting stronger/brighter bulbs(maybe some LEDs)? And I don`t know if im just trippin, but it seems like my MPH gauge is a little laggy? Is there suppose to be a certain cord for the speedometer or is it just all the cords that you have to remove and reinsert? Thank you to everyone!
Hi! Still belive you have a resistance problem , dim bulbs are due to a drop in available voltage ( that's what dimmers do ) OR - you have a problem with a poor earth (ground ) return . Can I suggest you invest in a voltmeter and carry out a thorough voltage check throughout the curcuit - and bench test the dimmer , start at the battery ,, check across the posts -12 volts minimum , THEN check across the ( -/+ ) posts to ( + /- ) battery connectors - this will give you a reading of the most voltage available in the loom and work through the list , battery connector -body , battery connector -engine , loom points-earth -etc . I had a problem with the earth post of a battery / connector once -cleaned with nylon pad and refitted - ok now.Also it could be a good idea to carry out a continuity check of the earth ( ground ) cables to body .Imagine trying to get a starter motor to turn if the earth ( ground ) cable is extremely corroded . high voltage drop - similar to a nearly flat battery .

Last edited by interested!; 11-09-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: extra info .
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote