View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #1
Boosted87Supra
Stock

Boosted87Supra is on a distinguished road
Question Another Oil Pressure Gauge Thread, but not what you'd think

ALREADY SEARCHED

So I've had my '87 Supra for a few months now and the oil pressure gauge has never functioned. I've searched many a forum, but haven't managed to find anyone with quite the same symptoms as me. A little back ground, before I bought the car the HG was replaced w/ an HKS metal and ARP studs were installed. No problems there, though the speedo cable was damaged, I replaced it, though the OP gauge didn't work, even before I pulled the cluster.

What I've done:
  • Installed new USDM style oil pressure sensor (as the engine is still the factory 7MGTE)
  • Checked the wire leading to the switch, found it to be chaffed. Performed a wire repair.
After the sensor was replaced the gauge acted like it wanted to read, not showing 4-6 psi at idle, but the needle was not resting on the bump stop. Though as soon as I went to go drive the car it quit reading again.

After fixing the wiring issue the same thing as what happened after the sensor replacement occurred.

So the gauge isn't completely dead, but if you mess with any of its inputs under the hood it will act like it is going to work for a bit, but then doesn't.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Boosted87Supra is offline   Reply With Quote