View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo View Post
It is not possible at all to run back the odometer. I really hope that your are not wanting to run it back, not only can it not be done but is illegal. Mileage is important to help show the cars health and use of all components including suspension not just the engine. 60 or 100k?? That is a big difference.

It is unlikely that the head will crack but could warp from overheating but nothin a little machine work and a thicker headgasket wouldn't fix. The block will not crack it is built from a really strong Cast Iron.

There are still a few things that could cause the car to pressurize the radiator.
It's not easy to run back the odometer I agree - HOWEVER it is possible to disable the odometer for a time, thereby accumulating zero mileage while driving. One could also swap in another odometer from a different car. Clearly this would be illegal, but it is possible nonetheless.

Although an aluminum head won't crack, detonation can blow chips of metal out of it... I've seen this damage first hand, and know for certain that it is not only possible - it is likely to happen if you run too much boost with too little octane. Yes, this could cause combustion pressure to leak into the cooling system.

Also, it's quite unlikely that the aluminum head is warped unless something really stupid was done (eg. run the engine without any coolant). However, I strongly disagree that machining and a thicker headgasket would fix a warped head. Try this and the cams won't spin in the journals.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.