View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzrs180 View Post
I will definitely be purchasing a U.S.TT, and with fuel, can you explain why I have an option? I just figured since it's a high performance engine 93 was the way to go, although I've heard people using fuel flex b4 but don't know enough about it, other than, it's somehow programed with the ecu.. But you're saying if I use the oem twins that I'm not producing enough air to match my fuel intake with higher boost, causing detonation, or basically that my air/fuel ratio is too lean? If so how do I create a perfect ratio, does it depend on my boost?...
The fuel's octane requirement has almost nothing to do with air:fuel ratio (that's taken care of by the oem maf and/or Turbo Pressure Sensor, together with the oem ecu).

The fuel's octane requirement has everything to do with the increased cylinder pressures and temperatures associated with increased boost. If you raise the boost without sufficient octane, the fuel will detonate, blowing holes in the expensive 2jz-gte internals. Please forget about lean and rich, and start thinking about more octane for more boost.
Quote:
...Also can you please explain the adjustable exhaust cam gear, in relation with TDC and if that will help prevent pre-ignition or detonation?...
The adjustable cam gears have almost nothing to do with detonation (that's boost and octane - see above). The adjustable cam gears allow you to re-tune the peak power/efficiency point of the engine so that you can squeeze out a bit more hp at higher rpms.
Quote:
...And I read somewhere that the Paxton fuel system was popular among Supra owners that why i mentioned it....
Wow - crazy. Please forget this, because it's terribly irrelevant. Paxton makes superchargers. If by some weird coincidence they have actually begun making a fuel system for the Mkiv Supra Turbo, please trust that it would be a very rare and unpopular component - at least in the US. Also, they're so d@mn proud of it that it isn't promoted anywhere on their web site.
I've been upgrading (directly and indirectly) literally hundreds of Mkiv Supra Turbos since the mid '90s and I've never heard of it. If it ends up that you need a fuel system, I'll get you pointed in the right direction - there are several good choices.
Quote:
...The thermometer I mentioned because I read that increasing hp past 500 hp would require an upgrade to the whole fuel system, including the water pump and thermometer etc...
Sorry, now you have me even more confused. What does "hp past 500" have to do with a thermometer????
Quote:
...Also can you explain the difference between the 4 speed auto ECT to the 4 speed ECTi? I read it was optional on the autos, but don't know when n why it became an option, 93-98? Thanks! Love Supra's and want to know everything I can so to approach my ideal specs.
I believe that the "i" stands for "with intelligence". It's the same marketing term that Toyota uses for it's VVTi technology.

Again:
1) US-spec Mkiv TT, right? Auto or 6spd?
2) What kind of fuel do you plan to run? If you limit yourself to 93 octane ((R+M)/2), then you'll be limiting yourself to about 15psi of boost with the oem twins and the oem ecu.
7) ...What did you mean by "thermometer" in bundle#2, point 2.?
...and to add to that:
8) What is your horsepower goal? 800rwhp? If so, that definitely ain't happenin' on pump gas lol. You'll need a full fuel system too (but not a "Paxton").
9) Do you intend to stay with the oem twins or go to a single turbo? About 450rwhp is max (6spd) with the stock twins, so I guess they're out. Right?
10) What is your application (roadracing, daily driving, drifting, drag racing, autocross, top speed, etc.)?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-27-2012 at 02:36 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote