View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The CT-26 does see some cooling from the oil. You can run one without the coolant lines for a long time without issue... How long depends on several factors including how resistant the oil is to coking and the viscosity of the oil used (directly related to the volume of oil moved through in any period of time). The CT-26 isn't designed to cool solely with oil though so it's not what I'd call ideal, there are differences. The water cooling addition really does significantly extend the turbo's life just as oil cooling (on top of the regular water cooling) increases the life of your engine.

Depending on how long it's been since last cleaned and depending on the volume found the turbo could possibly be fine. The oil seal in the turbo sacrifices small amounts of oil to hold back the greater volume; It's always leaking very minute quantities of oil into the intake... so small that on a completely fresh turbo it's *almost* impossible to measure in a short period of time.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote