Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Show n Tell

Old 07-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

mkiiisupra is on a distinguished road
Default 90' Supra Turbo A/T Build

Been here for awhile... And never really started one of these... Wish i had lol So here goes. Going to start with what im working on currently and back track from there....

I purchased a 1990 toyota supra turbo A/T w/ every extra you could imagine (expect a CD player ) for 4100$, yes way more than i should of spent...

Clean body, Clean interior.... perhaps if i hadnt of driven 6 hours after a 10 hour work shift i would of been cohearant enough to notice the mechanical problems... But i wasnt so after purchasing a supra with a blown head and starting my 6 hour trip home to make it to work in the morning it breaks down about 50 miles down the road. Throwing a rod in the bottom end, making me abandon the vehicle on the side of the road 5 hours from anyone i know.... lol

Tidewater of Virginia was the car dealship that sold it to me, Thanks guys....

So i find a friend with a truck, rent a uhal and set off to get my vehicle that weekend. When i get it back i take it to a local garage, Cotton's Garage. where they informed me i needed a new engine...

Orderd one from Welcome to Osaka Official Webite who sent me a engine with a blown head. lol... refunded me 400$... So now i had to pay this shop an extra 1200 on top of the 1400 i just gave them to put the engine in to put a new head on a vehicle i just bought .... Alota cases much worse than mine wish i had visited this site before i orderd Don't buy from Osaka motors

Anyways thats how it all started. Sure mostly stupidity on my part, shouldnt purchase a car after being up for 24 hours and pressed for time lol... Shouldnt of bought the cheapest engine i could find on the net... But that is what i did lol...

So about 4 months after buying my car i got to drive it, since then ive known it was all worth it.... Although my wife was not so understanding at first.... Now she loves the car as much as i do though.

..... More to come later about my trials w/ Claire (my cars name)

Basically stock photos( well earliest i have)

After getting my car back from Cottons Garage it ran pretty well for a few months when one day after my wife was late to work... And as a result sped down the street my car never felt the same for along time.

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 07-20-2008 at 05:57 AM.
mkiiisupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

After getting the opinions of several shops as well as toyota(btw completly useless) I was told i needed to replace/rebuild my turbo. Wish i had known then what i have learned here and other places. Droped my turbo off to Turbochargers.com experts in turbos, superchargers, dyno tuning, turbo manufacturing, and rebuilt turbos. and i am still not completly satisfied with the turbo i got back from them. Worksman ship just seemed that no car was actually taken, recieved turbo back missing some of the exhaust studs. Which none where replaced and all the rust was left on it.... Not cleaned or anything... not really what i expected for 700+ dollars. Wish i had met driftmotion before hand heh.

Put the new rebuilt turbo on my car and pull off my old one. After some inspection the turbo was in perfect working condition, I was told my waste gate was stuck open so i couldnt hold boost.... This was not even close to the case and the shaft had very minimal play in it. Went ahead and put on the new turbo since i did have the compressor wheel upgraded(which still unsure if they did or not but w/e)

Well guess what. this did not fix the problem at all with feeling a complete lack of power... Toyota of Sumter had no idea... Cottons couldnt figure it out... Another "Toyota Expert" in columbia where all wrong.... All pointed at the turbo and said broken...

This was about the time i got on here and other places and looked around for information... Found out i could do a self diagnostic so i did.. Found a few codes which lead me to finding out a TPS was busted and i needed to reqwire my knock sensor...

After fixing both of these things my car felt brand new... It had its power back... Te turbo actually gave it more power instead of nothing...

From that day on i never let anyone else fix my car. Why is it 3 + mechanics all come to false conclusions of the problem have me fix random things along the way that DONT FIX IT. And in the end the computer tells me someone with no previous mechanical knowledge what the problem is...

Why is it that a person with no mechanical knowledge and the internet can fix something (pretty damn simple) 3 certified mechanics working on toyotas for over 20 years scratched thier heads over.

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 07-20-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

This is the point i got some money together and did my first major upgrade on the car. It started with a hose techniques vacumm replacement kit.

I think the first major upgrade for me was the BIC Performance DDP. Very high quality peice. This was the first time i attempted to remove the Turbo by myself (first time my dad helped because i was down in Texas celebrating my recent marriage ) so i felt a little over my head. Orginally it took me and my dad 4hours + to swap turbos this time i had mine off w/ elbow removed in under 2. So all went well, i have Bishop's 92T Supra Page to thank for the guidence i found on his page.

Car felt alot stronger after this, also alot louder heh.

From there i moved on to the Cooleze IC hard pipe kit, the new HKS SSQV and LIPP valley cover/ filter adapter and a AEM Dry Flow Filter

Reviews of the products can be found here:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...w-l-i-p-p.html
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...eze-pipes.html
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...-hks-ssqv.html
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ter-3-5-a.html

Updated engine bay pic

Definantly noticed gains from this over my old drop in K&N and didnt have to worry about oil damaging my AFM when i went to eventually clean it.

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 07-20-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

reserved for future posts3
Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Currently working on a upgrade to my coolant system. This includes all new lines for everything.

After alot of looking around decided to go with the HASTE aluminum radiator 3 row design from 935motorsports... Mainly becuase the price on the PWR radiator jumped up on me 100bucks and 300 was alot more appealing than 500. Ill post pictures and a review of it once it gets here. Still waiting on a shipping date from 935.

Also ordered alot of my other parts from summitracing including the following:

AER-FBM1012 6an straight hose ends X 4 @ 6.95 ea
AER-FBM2013 Straight 6an to 1/2 NPT fitting X 6 @ 4.95 ea
AER-FBM2246 12mmX1.5 to 6an fitting X 2 @ 9.95 ea
AER-FBM4032 90 degree hose end 6an X 4 @ 19.88 ea
AER-FCA0620 -6an 20ft steel braided hose X 1 @ 99.95 ea
BMM-70266 Trans Cooler 11"X8"X1.5" X 1 @ 75.95 ea
PRM-1070 Remote oil thermostat X 1 @ 41.88 ea

Hope fully that will be all i need for my Transmission cooling system Pretty sure the hard lines for the tranny that screw into the Transmission are 12mm and i went with B&M Trans cooler due to the Stacked plate design. The Permacool thermostat and All aeromotive fittings/hoses.

Also orderd some of the parts i needed for the Motor Oil cooling system, not all cuase i need wait to get paid again

PRM-111 Oil Filter Spin on X1 @ 10.95 ea
PRM-1221 Dual Filter Mount X1 @ 31.95 ea

Thats it for now i will post pics of everything soon as it gets here as well as installation pics but with everything else i still need will be 3-4wks before i can start

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 07-20-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Also read somewhere about using a mkII lower radiator hose instead of MKIII becuase it takes a much more direct route. If anyone has any more info or pics of this id appreciate it becuase im probably going to go this route
Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Well had problems getting the HASTE radiator from 935motorsports aparntly he could not get ahold of the distributor at all for a whole month so i went ahead and cancled my order.

Going to go ahead and spend the extra coin on the PWR radiator should be ordering it thursday along with the rest of the AN fittings and lines ill need
Old 08-29-2008, 03:44 AM   #8
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Default New Order

Finished order'n the rest of the parts i needed to do redo all my cooling systems. New stainless steel braided lines for turbo/tranny/oil all Aeroquip lines/fittings. Hopefully i have everything i need probably spent about 1600-1800 total.

Decided to go with the PRM-19113 13" fan rated at about 2600cfm. I wanted the 14" but its sold out everywhere i looked untill october. Also ordered a PWR Radiator 500 after shipping from hpf.

Once i get it all in i will post up some pics
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Thats what 1600 in cooling system parts looks like... Sadly about to spend another 300ish for AN line wrenches/ Extra gallon of tranny fluid/ Another 13" fan and some wire'n took hook 2nd fan to tempetaure switch. Some T Bolt clamps and other misc. stuff that seems to add up way faster than it should

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 08-22-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
mkiiisupra
Lexus & 550's

Function before form.

I will definantly get it repainted, perhaps a darker blue. No body rust. No dings dents or anything else. A body kit will never touch my car.

But wont be for awhile and will probably end up costing from 2000-3000 plan on getting it done right which also means ill need to take it out of this state lol...

Anyways alot to do this coming week so ill have more pictures

Delete the rest of the A/C system to make room for Oil/Tranny cooler
Find a good mounting point for:
Trans Oil Filter
Engine Oil Thermostat
Engine Oil dual filter
Engine/Tranny Coolers
Figure out routing and measure out the SS lines
PS Line replace w/ SS line from driftmotion.com