Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/off-topic-forum/)
-   -   General banter from that MKIII owner's age thread. (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/off-topic-forum/19810-general-banter-from-that-mkiii-owners-age-thread.html)

SURFERDAVE 10-12-2011 03:11 PM

General banter from that MKIII owner's age thread.

So I pulled into an auto parts store and parked next to a newish 300 zx that needed a paint job. Went in and dumped some cash and came out to see a guy walking around my 88t. Nice new paint, red but darker than stock with steel blue stripes down the middle. So the guy looks at me and asks me, as I was unlocking my door, if it was mine. " Dude I have been running this since '88" was my answer. So I had to light em up and let em hear my 2.5" no cat, free flow exhaust upon exiting, just to let em know this 46 year old guy drives this car the way it should be driven. My 10 year loves to be in the car when I drift or do dounuts, so I know when he is old enough he will continue to run this car hard.

Ranma 10-12-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURFERDAVE (Post 98627)
So I pulled into an auto parts store and parked next to a newish 300 zx that needed a paint job. Went in and dumped some cash and came out to see a guy walking around my 88t. Nice new paint, red but darker than stock with steel blue stripes down the middle. So the guy looks at me and asks me, as I was unlocking my door, if it was mine. " Dude I have been running this since '88" was my answer. So I had to light em up and let em hear my 2.5" no cat, free flow exhaust upon exiting, just to let em know this 46 year old guy drives this car the way it should be driven. My 10 year loves to be in the car when I drift or do dounuts, so I know when he is old enough he will continue to run this car hard.

Dude, you are going to get arrested. Disturbing the peace, reckless driving to name two quick violations. One of these days you will do it in front of an off duty officer with no sense of humor. Oh and feds have no sense of humor. I hate people drifting or doing donuts in public parking lots. Doing them in private lots can be "disturbing the peace".

87hilux7mge 10-12-2011 08:10 PM

opinions are like a pucker hole. everyone has one, most of them stink. in my mind if he wants to do that, he can, but when shit happens, hell have to take care of it.

Ranma 10-12-2011 08:27 PM

it is against the law

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98635)
opinions are like a pucker hole. everyone has one, most of them stink. in my mind if he wants to do that, he can, but when shit happens, hell have to take care of it.

Yea if we catch him on Federal Property, he is going to JAIL. Not a threat to all of you drifters. Do it on a track, be legal, be safe or do time. Your "shit happens" often means someone dying. It is not going to happen on our watch dudes. If I spot them in the street always call 911. Dudes you fun is going to kill someone. Please used your brains before engaging clutch.

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/1899...type=&town_id=

SURFERDAVE 10-13-2011 08:01 PM

If WE catch you. Who are YOU ? Friggin McGruff the crime dog. I guess I shouldnt tell you that I was in a school zone going past a school bus dropping off elem. school kids, in front of a crossing gaurd that happened to be a NUN. Get off your box dude. You have no idea where I was do you? Or are you the one who is stalking me? Never street raced and never will. Dont talk to me.

Ranma 10-14-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURFERDAVE (Post 98655)
If WE catch you. Who are YOU ? Friggin McGruff the crime dog. I guess I shouldnt tell you that I was in a school zone going past a school bus dropping off elem. school kids, in front of a crossing gaurd that happened to be a NUN. Get off your box dude. You have no idea where I was do you? Or are you the one who is stalking me? Never street raced and never will. Dont talk to me.

Ah but I detect guilt, you know being a member of the federal government has its obligations and hate PUNKS. About the other have almost been hit by children racing in the street. So where do you race? You never go into a parking lot and do your drifting? Go into the mall parking lot and do donuts?
I am on my soap box for a reason. I do not like PUNKS. So you do all of your stuff on a track? am not stupid enough to believe you. I predict you will be arrested and soon. Add endangering a minor to reckless driving. Little boy I will talk to you anytime it strikes my fancy.
Oh punk, running without the CAT is a federal crime.

SURFERDAVE 10-14-2011 02:42 AM

Ya, Umm, OK dude, See Ya

Ranma 10-14-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURFERDAVE (Post 98662)
Ya, Umm, OK dude, See Ya

Yea I have know a lot of PUNKS like you, have you finished high school? Do you even have a drivers license? It is not me you have to worry about little boy. Laughs would call this a guilty pleasure but do not feel guilty.

SURFERDAVE 10-14-2011 03:55 AM

ok, nice talkin to ya, yall have a good day

Ranma 10-17-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbeast1989 (Post 98699)
I am 44. I bought my Supra when I was 34. I will pass it on to my son. If he behaves.

buy him a camaro to destroy, they lose value quickly

Ranma 10-17-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98709)
i dont really agree with the attitude here. im not going to get into an argument here, but comments like this dont belong here i believe.

Tell you why, they still make Cameros unlike Supras. There are no more being made, why i saw a 3 year old Mustang for 11.5 k. If the kids kill all of the Supras, there will be no need for a forum. Second this forum is all about speed and drifting. Not about restoring the cars to proper operation. Down to the interior now. He is looking fine, will post some pictures soon.
I do not race due to a medical condition from being wounded in Iraq. However there is more than life with my daily a Honda civic. Do you understand where I am coming from?

Grandavi 10-17-2011 03:39 AM

rofl.. some people need chill pills.

Firstly.. as a poster (a couple above me mentioned).. my car will be my son's as well, but not until I die.. :)

He is waiting patiently.

Secondly.. I have the occasionaly street race.. and do the occasional burn out. Ragging on a guy who makes a "comment" about doing a burn out is beyond insane.. lol. If you dont do the odd thing wrong in your life.. your pretty boring.

There's a difference between driving fast and driving stupid. Those who remark about "bad choices" probably dont know the difference. As I said.. 48 years old.. have done lots of "stupid" things in a car.. and because I had.. I managed to save 6 people in my car when someone did a "stupid" thing. Never hurt a person with my vehicle.. probably never will. But I will enjoy it how I see fit.

'nuff said.

87hilux7mge 10-17-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma (Post 98711)
Tell you why, they still make Cameros unlike Supras. There are no more being made, why i saw a 3 year old Mustang for 11.5 k. If the kids kill all of the Supras, there will be no need for a forum. Second this forum is all about speed and drifting. Not about restoring the cars to proper operation. Down to the interior now. He is looking fine, will post some pictures soon.
I do not race due to a medical condition from being wounded in Iraq. However there is more than life with my daily a Honda civic. Do you understand where I am coming from?

regardless of whether or not they still make camaros or not vs supras, bottom line, cars come and go.

they dont make 67-69 camaros anymore, what about that? and frankly, there are plenty of discussions on this forum due to reconditioning and restoration of the supra. yes there are alot of hp and drivetrain threads, but thats to be expected.

how about a model T? they dont make those anymore, havent for about 80 YEARS. guess what, theres a crap ton of forums for them. and alot of the guys take them and turn them into rat rods, that they could have restored to original.

and mostly, no i dont understand where your coming from. ive seen more than one thread where you have made some pretty stretched assumptions and rash accusations. coming down on someone repeatedly for choosing to race in their supra is wrong. IT IS A SPORTS CAR. meant to be driven.

ive already stated that i dont agree with street racing completely either, but your skewing a fine line here.

Ranma 10-17-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98713)
regardless of whether or not they still make camaros or not vs supras, bottom line, cars come and go.

they dont make 67-69 camaros anymore, what about that? and frankly, there are plenty of discussions on this forum due to reconditioning and restoration of the supra. yes there are alot of hp and drivetrain threads, but thats to be expected.

how about a model T? they dont make those anymore, havent for about 80 YEARS. guess what, theres a crap ton of forums for them. and alot of the guys take them and turn them into rat rods, that they could have restored to original.

and mostly, no i dont understand where your coming from. ive seen more than one thread where you have made some pretty stretched assumptions and rash accusations. coming down on someone repeatedly for choosing to race in their supra is wrong. IT IS A SPORTS CAR. meant to be driven.

ive already stated that i dont agree with street racing completely either, but your skewing a fine line here.

Driven is not wrecked, have you tried to find a first generation heartbreak of America? I am having a very hard time finding parts for my guy and it is only going to get worse. The difference between you and me is you live in the present without thinking of the future, while my mind is on the future.
You know kiddo, I have seen my "assumptions" in the past and will again in the future.
Well my soap box is doing things right, not destroying the very material of this blog, Toyota Supras and no street or parking lot racing.
Think our trouble communication is one from being in different generations.

Grandavi 10-17-2011 03:44 PM

Whats a first genereation heartbreak of America?

Ranma 10-17-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandavi (Post 98721)
Whats a first genereation heartbreak of America?

It is a first generation Camero or Firebird. They really had a lot of problems. The engineering and quality control needed a bit of help.
From Chevy ad "The heartbeat of America", my last three GM or government motors cars sucked. My friends 04 Sun Chicken had its clear coat peeling within 2 years. "Sorry, it is not covered by warranty" Thus it is "The heart break of America"
Anyhow it is another reason to use American hot rods to drift, race, etc.
Compare the engineering that went into our Supras to a GM? Do you get the picture?

Grandavi 10-17-2011 05:16 PM

Ah, I knew it sounded familiar, but I ignore American built cars so much that I couldn't recall where I heard it.. lol. It was bugging me.

I love the looks of the Camaro and Firebird, but having driven a 78 Z28 and a 81 T/A, I steer away from them. Would love to get a 57-69 muscle car, but unfortunately the initial costs steer me away. I had to choose between going with a Corvette or a MKIII (MKIV is too european looking for my tastes) and I am glad I chose the MKIII. I dont drive it much (maybe 1000-2000 km per year), but I can stand and look at it. Thats all it takes.. lol.

Definitely different engineering though considering that a 70's Cutlass would roll if you took a high speed corner wrong.. at least the Japanese were a little more forgiving for mistakes on the roadway.

Im a MKIII guy. The cost to fix doesnt bother me and never really will because I have owned new, old, foreign and domestic. I think in the "get-what-you-pay-for" area.. Supra pretty well has it covered.

Too many people doing hack jobs though, which is why I can pick em up really cheap when I get the itch. :)

87hilux7mge 10-17-2011 06:32 PM

so far, i have seen two threads about ppl wrecking their supras on here. one was due to a tire blowout on the freeway, the other was a faulty wheel bearing. neither of them was due to racing or intentional abuse.

and yes, i have tried, found and once owned a 67 camaro. it was almost completely shot. i replaced the floorpans, trunk, cowl and blasted the body down. then the project became too much for a final year HS student, so i had to sell it.

maybe where you are, you cannot find parts (im still curious of which parts you are trying to find as well, some rare OEM stuff??) cuz around here, i have no trouble finding mk3 parts for little to no cost. i picked up an 88 turbo 3 months ago for peanuts (i.e.-i went and hauled it off for him.) got the parts i needed of it and sold the rest of it to a mk3 enthusiast here.

i just dont understand what you could have so much trouble finding, considering it can all be bought here from either a parts chain or dealer or online. i have called about several trim pieces for various years of supras and had no trouble locating them for my freind in orofino.

from what youve said, u feel like noone under 25 should be allowed to own a mk3 supra. they should all be saved, locked away for your generation (more importantly, you)

and kiddo? is everyone on this board who doesnt agree with you a child? we may be from different generations, but i can see i have a better attitude and outlook for things. and i do look to the future, as well as learn from the past. you seem to be stuck in the past.

87hilux7mge 10-17-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma (Post 98711)

and on this note, i appreciate your service, but there are several vets that are racing, with ONE LIMB. several british soldiers with limbs missing are competing in the dakar rally. where there is a will, theres a way. if you wanted to and tried, you could do it.

Ranma 10-17-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98725)
[so far, i have seen two threads about ppl wrecking their supras on here. one was due to a tire blowout on the freeway, the other was a faulty wheel bearing. neither of them was due to racing or intentional abuse.

Not on this board but there is a lot of stuff out there on the internet.

Quote:

and yes, i have tried, found and once owned a 67 camaro. it was almost completely shot. i replaced the floorpans, trunk, cowl and blasted the body down. then the project became too much for a final year HS student, so i had to sell it.

I had a 69 Camaro convertible and it was too expensive for me to restore. This was in 76 so he was not too old. However it was rusted out, the systems were junk, etc. He did run ok but when I was at Army training, my dad junked it because he would not start.

Quote:

maybe where you are, you cannot find parts (im still curious of which parts you are trying to find as well, some rare OEM stuff??) cuz around here, i have no trouble finding mk3 parts for little to no cost. i picked up an 88 turbo 3 months ago for peanuts (i.e.-i went and hauled it off for him.) got the parts i needed of it and sold the rest of it to a mk3 enthusiast here.

Well I need make pretty parts, am missing the front grill, trim pieces, though he paint them and they look great. Need interior parts, a new dash, etc. Being 25 years old means another cars dash boards are trash too.

Quote:

i just dont understand what you could have so much trouble finding, considering it can all be bought here from either a parts chain or dealer or online. i have called about several trim pieces for various years of supras and had no trouble locating them for my freind in orofino.
from what youve said, u feel like noone under 25 should be allowed to own a mk3 supra. they should all be saved, locked away for your generation (more importantly, you)

Well, as long as they do not wreck them. My friend in college had a 57 Chevy Bel Air. Was driving with him and all of a sudden he was running over all of the side markers on the road and started to sideswipe telephone poles. He stalled and I made it out the window to safety. I ran out into the Arizona desert. Well he left and I started to walk toward Douglas Arizona. So torn clothes from the escape and cuts from glass went limping down the road until given a ride to hospital. Hey I was alright just looked bad. Anyhow genius tried to take out a pole directly. The result was telephone pole 7, punk 0. Anyhow I have no trouble with younger drivers having as long as they do not do the STUPID.

Quote:

and kiddo? is everyone on this board who doesnt agree with you a child?

Means I am being "playful", you can call me a kid anytime you like. I do not feel my age or act like it. Age to a big extent is a state of mind.

Ranma 10-17-2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98726)
and on this note, i appreciate your service, but there are several vets that are racing, with ONE LIMB. several british soldiers with limbs missing are competing in the dakar rally. where there is a will, theres a way. if you wanted to and tried, you could do it.

No I got TBI from a IED and have not been the same. I got up too quickly and passed out. Spent 3 days in the VA hospital. So g forces an me are not a good thing. However I am not ready to give up my guy.

Ranma 10-18-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87supra7mgte (Post 98743)
first off i would like to say to ranma, i feel for you, im in afghanistan right now, have been here for 3 months and already have had guys with TBI. i personally have not gotten blown up yet so i cannot say i know what your going through with that. thank you for serving this country, even with all the BS that happens out here. Hope things get better for you.

second, im 22, bought my 87 when i was 21 and plan to bring her back to a little better than stock no matter how long it takes to do the body work properly, this car is going to be my baby and will pass it on to my kids hoping to inspire them to learn how to do atleast basic maintenance on cars.

I thank you for serving our country as well. I wonder if KBR is in charge of the mess halls in Afghanistan? At FOB Falcon, Baghdad you could tell the day of the week by what was served. Friday was "steak and lobster". Not sure about the other but it was NOT beef! Being in a combat zone in my late 40's stunk. Then again the fobs stank!
About the tbi will live to enjoy life but sometimes write the silliest of things. Will look back over some of it with disbelief.
About our cars they are not replaceable. Once they are gone they are gone. So many people get them for their kids as a cheap ride and after a few years get junked. Just try and find the first muscle cars. They are mostly gone, and kids (no disrespect) try and be good. I know it is hard, it is hard for me too. There are times in the morning, on freeways encountering the foxtrot alpha.... Oh I am 52 :p

SURFERDAVE 10-24-2011 03:29 PM

Smells like rubber burning

WOW. I light my tires up and tell my age and it gets moved to another topic. Wasnt trying to start a firestorm but its good to hear other 40 somethings like to drive their cars hard. Good to hear you younger guys are keeping these hot cars looking good. I have been lucky enough to drive this car since 1988 and my son will drive this also when he is old enough and earns it. Probably when he turns 30, hopefully he will get sick of waiting and go buy his own. Then we will see who can slide the best. Smoke em if you can.

Grandavi 10-24-2011 06:28 PM

It wasn't really about your post.. it was just that the other thread started sliding sideways.. lol.

I think CRE is equipped with ABS

87hilux7mge 10-24-2011 08:47 PM

dave, its no big deal. i got a lil out of hand after saying "im not going to argue about this here" haha.

im 24 years old, dont have the supra anymore, but im putting a 7m in my truck. i generally drive pretty mundanely, but i have my bouts of "spirited driving".

i just finished putting on a CAI on my buddies 96 taurus SHO last night, and had a lil run around the block. i dont think its at all wrong to drive fast or anything, but a time a place is available for it. frankly on the road, as long as you are safe and not endangering anyone, then i dont see a huge issue. some ppl dont agree with that, and thats fine. its a world full of different ppl and opinions.

anyway, enjoy driving however you see fit, and dont let anyone tell you what you should or should not do with your car!

cheers peeps.

ferrie killer 10-25-2011 12:05 AM

Ranma you must be stupid running with no cat is a crime shit my 89 supra is straight piped its called safty only learn about it befor you sound stupid 89 and back is safty only next year it will be 90 and back

SURFERDAVE 10-25-2011 01:58 AM

felt it also

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandavi (Post 98894)
It wasn't really about your post.. it was just that the other thread started sliding sideways.. lol.

Ya I felt the slide too. If the Dude needs to spout then who am I but I was trying not to fuel his rage, very tempted cause it looked easy. Thanks and good job.

SURFERDAVE 10-25-2011 02:04 AM

No worries

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge (Post 98898)
dave, its no big deal. i got a lil out of hand after saying "im not going to argue about this here" haha.

im 24 years old, dont have the supra anymore, but im putting a 7m in my truck. i generally drive pretty mundanely, but i have my bouts of "spirited driving".

i just finished putting on a CAI on my buddies 96 taurus SHO last night, and had a lil run around the block. i dont think its at all wrong to drive fast or anything, but a time a place is available for it. frankly on the road, as long as you are safe and not endangering anyone, then i dont see a huge issue. some ppl dont agree with that, and thats fine. its a world full of different ppl and opinions.

anyway, enjoy driving however you see fit, and dont let anyone tell you what you should or should not do with your car!

cheers peeps.

Thanks for the thumbs up. Good luck with the truck, what a good idea. It should rip. But go EASY. DOUBLE CAT AND MUFFLE THAT THING. Sorry bout that, save the cats for an Oldsmobile. How can the heavens hear you coming with mufflers?

87hilux7mge 10-25-2011 02:41 AM

yea, i plan on it being pretty quick. especially once i get the S/C on it. trying to figure this durafix stuff out, i think i need a hotter torch. just wait till i get the stroker/twin charged one rolling :naughty:

whats a muffler? i thought cats were pets??

Grandavi 10-25-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrie killer (Post 98905)
Ranma you must be stupid running with no cat is a crime shit my 89 supra is straight piped its called safty only learn about it befor you sound stupid 89 and back is safty only next year it will be 90 and back

Its legal to run without a cat in my province.. lol.

cre 10-26-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandavi

I have no idea on Earth what that means... So I'll take it as a compliment. :cool:

I'm not generally very active on here these days (well, I've been bored the last week but I'm not planning on making a habit of it)... I'm still an admin and do still care about the forum so I help out if I think it's needed. As one of the quieter sites it's easy for things to get missed as the staff doesn't need to be as vigilant.

It is against Federal law (and California law) to remove ANY factory equipped emissions component in the US without replacing it with a functional and DOT certified replacement... this even includes the gas cap. Even if your area doesn't require emissions testing Federal compliance is not thrown out the window and if you get pulled over they may still check for it AND ticket you; If you piss off an officer or he's just having a bad day and they know the law (I know, not a common event)... but well, sucks to be you. Know the law, it helps. ;)

Grandavi 10-27-2011 05:39 AM

lol.. what I meant about ABS was kinda open..

Thread going sideways.. ABS kicks in.. all under control now..
or.. Anti-bullshit...

you pick :D

Bru 12-29-2012 11:24 PM

Just for the record, I bought my 1987 Supra turbo when I was 39. The car was 8 years old then. Now 17 years later, the car is 25 years old and I am 56. I Don't plan on stopping driving it anytime soon as I've just put on a new timing belt and water pump.
I overhauled the drivetrain in 1995 at 238,000 miles. Now it has 267,000 and shooting for 300,000 plus. The key is to replace parts when needed and keep up the maintanance.
I paid $5,200 when I bought it. Probably an equal amount in parts and maintance over the years. That works out to $611 per year. I did all the work my self except for tire changes and wheel alignment.