Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   Non-Generation Specific Questions (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/non-generation-specific-questions/)
-   -   Not a Supra, but could act like one. Need advise. (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/non-generation-specific-questions/7672-not-a-supra-but-could-act-like-one-need-advise.html)

blaze the chemi 02-22-2007 03:45 PM

Not a Supra, but could act like one. Need advise.

I'm beginning a research idea for a co-worker. He owns a '95 Lexus SC300. I told him he could probably modify his engine and invest in upgrades rather than buying a new car. I told him that his engine is similar to the Supra engine.

What things are different between the 2JZ-GE and the supra? His lexus is also an automatic. Would you have any advise for him.

I'm personally big into Hondas, but have known others to have fun with their toyotas. Thanks.

damdog05 02-22-2007 10:28 PM

93-98 supras have the 2jz-ge or the 2jz-gte in the. the only difference between those is the first one isnt turbo and the second one is. so if he has the 2jz-ge engine he already has the supra engine.

pwpanas 02-23-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
I'm beginning a research idea for a co-worker. He owns a '95 Lexus SC300. I told him he could probably modify his engine and invest in upgrades rather than buying a new car. I told him that his engine is similar to the Supra engine.

What things are different between the 2JZ-GE and the supra?...

As damdog05 said, the 2jz-ge is the same engine that's in the normally-aspirated (non-turbo) Supra. However, there are many differences between the 2jz-ge and the engine that is in the Mkiv Supra Turbo, the 2jz-gTe...

Quote:

...His lexus is also an automatic.

Would you have any advise for him...

Several 'na-t' kits exist, from companies like BoostLogic. He could simply slap on one of these kits and enjoy a lot more power.

damdog05 02-23-2007 04:25 PM

is there really a big difference? i mean besides the stuff needed for it to be turbo(i.e. intercooler stuff, turbos, etc.)

pwpanas 02-23-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damdog05
is there really a big difference? i mean besides the stuff needed for it to be turbo(i.e. intercooler stuff, turbos, etc.)

Yes, there really are big differences. For example, the head is completely different, and so is the ignition system, the intake & throttle body, injectors, ecu, compression ratio, pistons, oil squirters in the block, etc., etc.

If you want your buddy to be really happy, with the least amount of frustration and inconvenience, steer him towards a complete 'na-t' kit from a company like BoostLogic. Look at all of the stuff in their kit...I'd strongly advise you not to try to piece-meal all of that together by yourself. These kits are plug-and-play, and include everything you need so that your co-worker can safely make the additional power without blowing up his engine.

blaze the chemi 03-01-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas
Yes, there really are big differences. For example, the head is completely different, and so is the ignition system, the intake & throttle body, injectors, ecu, compression ratio, pistons, oil squirters in the block, etc., etc.

If you want your buddy to be really happy, with the least amount of frustration and inconvenience, steer him towards a complete 'na-t' kit from a company like BoostLogic. Look at all of the stuff in their kit...I'd strongly advise you not to try to piece-meal all of that together by yourself. These kits are plug-and-play, and include everything you need so that your co-worker can safely make the additional power without blowing up his engine.

Thanks for the information. We are still searching ideas. I had no idea that much was different. I would have figured cam profiles and pistons, but not some of the other minor things. Thanks.

pwpanas 03-01-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the information. We are still searching ideas. I had no idea that much was different. I would have figured cam profiles and pistons, but not some of the other minor things. Thanks.

Glad to help...

Again, note that the construction, layout, and port design of the entire 2jz-ge cylinder head is very different than the 2jz-gte's head. Those differences in the head design, together with, the oil squirters cooling the 2jz-gte pistons, and the 2jz-gte's computer-controlled distributorless ignition system, all work together to make a huge difference in horsepower potential. Fwiw, I wouldn't call those items "minor". ;)