Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   Non-Generation Specific Questions (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/non-generation-specific-questions/)
-   -   Bad Water Pump? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/non-generation-specific-questions/6888-bad-water-pump.html)

scruffboy 11-24-2006 01:13 PM

Bad Water Pump?

This summer I had a new water pump installed with a one year warranty. The other day we had a torrential rain, I mean it came down in buckets. I had to drive through a rather deep puddle, but nothing I haven't done before when necessary (There was a Semi behind me and one in front). I mean, it didn't come in through the doors or anything. I drive home and everything seems fine. I even used a blow dryer on any electrical connection I could find. I don't know if this would have any bearing on my problem, but it did seem to be a bit of a coincidence. So then I decide to take it for a longer test drive. I start to overheat. I take it home and it seems to be leaking from the water pump. I take it to my new mechanic and he says its the water pump. I go to the guy who initially installed it and he says he'll look at it but starts hemming and hawing about how the water pump is connected to the timing belt and it could be all types of other things. My new mechanic said he'd install a new water pump for $175. I'm afraid if I take it to the original mechanic, he'll mess something up just to get out of honoring the warranty, (and hitting me up for fixing a new problem that never existed). I mean, I can see it leaking from the water pump. Should'nt the original mechanic just put one in for me? Any thoughts or help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Scruffboy

P.S. Can I get help from one of you guys who really know what they are talking about, like Mr.nickleye or someone of his knowledge. I don't want to walk into this guys garage with "guesses". thanks.

Bill UK 11-24-2006 05:52 PM

The crank pulley drives the water pump by a conventional type pulley belt that also rotates the radiator-cooling fan, not the timing belt. It’s not that difficult to change the pump probably 1 hrs work if that. Price for a new Toyota pump is $194 .00 but you can buy a non-Toyota pump for $67.00. (Converted from GB pounds if purchased in the UK) The only thing that could happen when driving through deep water is the drive belt to the pump would start slipping due to getting wet, but that wouldn’t cause it to leak. The only thing I can think of is that the pump you had fitted wasn’t a new one and the internal seals have started to wear or it wasn’t fitted correctly and the gasket needs to be replace, depends where its leaking from. The pumps are normally very reliable the only part that wears is the impellors due to high mileage.
pic`s below to give you some idea of what's inside.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/cirgriff/3.jpgInserted

scruffboy 11-24-2006 06:16 PM

More info

The rain finally stopped and I am able to see where the coolant is coming from and going to. It is coming out of the exact center of the pump, behind the pully where the fan connects. It is not leaking from the bolts that attach it to the motor. Does that help you in your diagnoses?

Thanks,

Scruff

Bill UK 11-24-2006 07:19 PM

Sounds like the inner seals have gone, this doesn’t seem to be related to driving through a deep puddle, you will need to replace the pump.Do you know if the pump you had replaced was a supplied by Toyota ?

scruffboy 11-25-2006 12:35 AM

Thanks

I appreciate the help Bill. I had a feeling this guy was trying to get out of honoring the warranty. I think it just sucks that people treat each other the way they do. It deeply saddens me.

By the way, I spent 2 weeks in England when I was in the Marine Corps. Spent most of my time on the Isle of Wight. What a magical place.

Scruffboy

mrnickleye 11-25-2006 12:42 AM

You can do it

All the info here is good. Except...as you can see by the photos, the impellor does not wear out, as they are metal.
(I have seen some plastic ones on VWs.)

What wears out is the shaft bushing/bearing, and the seal.

You could replace the pump yourself, as it is just one of those 'get in and do it' jobs.

Get a stiff wire brush (toothbrush style) to help clean off the gasket surfaces. Get a tube of silicone gasket sealer for the gasket.

mrnickleye 11-25-2006 12:52 AM

Use just a little

By the way, the picture reveals that the old Toyota pump appears to have been put on with TOO MUCH silicone gasket sealer. See how there is strips of it 'inside' the pump.

When ever I use the sealer, I put it on my thumb and finger, then apply it to both sides of the gasket at one time. Drawing it along, coating the entire surfaces, 'thinly'.

You are only using it to fill in any slight variations in the mating surfaces.

j3pz 11-25-2006 06:41 PM

good advise as always^

i changed my water pump about a year ago, leaked from the same place. the most difficult part is the bolts holding the pulley on, as it likes to turn when you are trying to undo them. i used a screwdriver between two to keep the pulley from rotating and had someone else use a ratchet to loosen the bolts, after that its pretty easy

scruffboy 11-25-2006 07:45 PM

Thank You Fellas

I went back to the original mechanic with your posts in hand and diagrams from the TSRM and stood my ground. He will replace the water pump on Tuesday. I told him I wanted it done right then and there as it would only take an hour. He wouldn't budge on that so I let it slide. But thank you for letting me sound informed and allowing me to walk in there tall like I wasn't about to take sh*t. This time he was the one doing the stuttering, felt good man!

Thanks Bill and Mr.Nick

Scruffboy

Bill UK 11-25-2006 09:22 PM

Thanks for that scruffboy I'm sure Mr Nick appreciates that also, he is very knowledgeable guy any problems let us know, and j3pz your right that's exactly what I did.