Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   Non-Generation Specific Questions (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/non-generation-specific-questions/)
-   -   Auto or Manual? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/non-generation-specific-questions/4767-auto-or-manual.html)

BIGDOM 05-24-2006 10:09 PM

Auto or Manual?

Hello, I wonder if any of you guys could help me?!
Im currently looking to buy a twin turbo supra mk4. My budget is around 6000 pounds and i am so eager to hand over cash. BUT im torn between an auto which there are plenty of, or a 6speed which are rarer and a little more pricey.
I dont like autos but they are so much cheaper and I dont want to regret it in 6 months time.
Which do you think is better?

Supra2NR 05-24-2006 10:38 PM

personally i'd perfer a stick (manual),

1) youll get more power
2) its actually better with gas (big thing in america right now)
3) youll get more respect if u decide to go racing

i dunno maybe its jus me , but to me a stick is a man's car thats jus how it is here i guess

theWeezL 05-24-2006 11:40 PM

I wont even look at a car if its an automatic. To me it takes half the fun out of driving.

There is nothing more satisfying than a proper heal/toe maneuver, blipping the throttle on a down shift while at the same time mashing down on the binders, as you carve your way to the apex of a nice tight corner...getting that perfect mesh of guts and gears and growl...forget priceless...its epic.

Tell me again why you are even thinking about an automatic?

j3pz 05-25-2006 12:47 AM

dont the mk4 also come in 5spds?

scruffboy 05-25-2006 02:39 PM

Auto or Stick

Go with the manaul tranny, its much more fun to drive. It will be worth the extra money. Like someone else here said, I wouldn't even look at a sports car with an automatic. I feel they shouldn't even make them.

Scruff

pwpanas 05-25-2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGDOM
Hello, I wonder if any of you guys could help me?!
Im currently looking to buy a twin turbo supra mk4. My budget is around 6000 pounds and i am so eager to hand over cash. BUT im torn between an auto which there are plenty of, or a 6speed which are rarer and a little more pricey.
I dont like autos but they are so much cheaper and I dont want to regret it in 6 months time.
Which do you think is better?

Do you plan to drag race? Road race?

BIGDOM 05-25-2006 07:31 PM

hi, cheers guys for that, ill stick to a manual i like the sound of that!

To pwpanas well i love going up the strip, at the mo i got a 2ltr clio williams with 50 jet nos that runs 13.82@ 104mph. althow i like drifting and 1/4 mile sprints when i get me supra it have to stick to the road it will probably run me pockets dry!!

pwpanas 05-26-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGDOM
hi, cheers guys for that, ill stick to a manual i like the sound of that!

To pwpanas well i love going up the strip, at the mo i got a 2ltr clio williams with 50 jet nos that runs 13.82@ 104mph. althow i like drifting and 1/4 mile sprints when i get me supra it have to stick to the road it will probably run me pockets dry!!

An auto is faster and more consistent at the dragstrip, so that may be your best choice.

Of course a 6spd is better for drifting, so you'll have to pick which application that you want your vehicle to shine the most at.

theWeezL 05-26-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas
An auto is faster and more consistent at the dragstrip, so that may be your best choice.

More consistent yes
Faster? who says..where do you get this idea? Im curious to know what your reasoning is.

BIGDOM 05-26-2006 07:29 PM

yer i supose i have seen more autos go up the strip, thanks 4 your help guys!

pwpanas 05-27-2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theWeezL
More consistent yes
Faster? who says..where do you get this idea? Im curious to know what your reasoning is.

It's not really reasoning, it's based empirical results (mostly from my experience with the Mk4 Supra Turbo). It's VERY hard to get a bpu++++ 6spd Mkiv Supra tt in the 11s, but to get a bpu++++ auto Mkiv Supra tt in the 11s is no problem. Also, take any 10 second, 800rwhp+ Mkiv Supra Turbo 6spd, and then swap in a 'built' oem auto or a TH400 in it, and (with no other changes) suddenly it becomes a 9 second Mkiv Supra Turbo. On average, an auto will shave over half a second off an Mkiv Supra's 1/4 mile time.

Perhaps this might not be generally true for cars running the 1/4 in 16s ... but for fast, higher horsepower cars, no human can shift as fast as a built auto. I don't mean to be immodest, but I can shift a manual extremely fast...however I've ridden in Mkiv's with a built auto and there is no pause at all when they shift - the car is just instantly in the next gear before you can blink, with absolutely smooth/constant acceleration. Generally, I'm a fan of manual tranny's...they're much more fun to drive...and they're superior for roadracing. On the dragstrip though, they're the wrong tool for the job (edit: in a MK4 Supra) if you want to win.

theWeezL 05-27-2006 01:10 AM

Well, yes but your refering to an extremely high horsepower car using a built automatic. I could reference Pro-Stock drag racers who dont use automatics almost to the man. They use 4 spd clutchless transmission sure, but I hope you see the point.

Take a stock mk4 6 speed and a stock auto to the track...put a good driver behind the wheel of both...and I'll put my money on the stick.

But, regardless of who's opinion is more valid, when it comes to daily driving...Stick VS auto is purely a subjective and personal thing.

pwpanas 05-27-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Well, yes but your refering to an extremely high horsepower car using a built automatic...

Actually my first example was an (approximate) 400rwhp bpu++++ Mkiv Supra with stock tt's AND with a stock auto tranny. Maybe it's not low horsepower example, but imo it's certainly not "extremely high" (relative to the 1000hp+ Mk4s that are almost commonplace these days)...

Quote:

...I could reference Pro-Stock drag racers who dont use automatics almost to the man. They use 4 spd clutchless transmission sure, but I hope you see the point...

...Keeping this whole discussion in context, I don't know of any Pro-Stock Mk4 Supras that are using clutchless 4spds (especially street-driven ones). Also, based on how much BIGDOM likes cornering too, I doubt he's is looking to convert the "twin turbo Mk4 Supra" he's planning to get into a Pro-Stock car with a clutchless 4spd. ...I hope you see my point as well.

Quote:

...Take a stock mk4 6 speed and a stock auto to the track...put a good driver behind the wheel of both...and I'll put my money on the stick...

I agree that, since the 6spd gets a little more horsepower to the ground than the auto, a bone-stock MK4 6spd may have a very slight edge with a great driver...but put a simple bleeder-T, downpipe, a BCC, and average drivers in both cars... and (ime) the auto wins consistently.

Quote:

...But, ...when it comes to daily driving...Stick VS auto is purely a subjective and personal thing.

Agreed. Fwiw, that's why I first clarified BIGDOM's exact application before advising him on transmission selection.

BIGDOM 05-27-2006 07:27 PM

I think ill stick to manual guys, cos i intend to keep it when i get one.
Im currently chatting to a guy at southhampton import center uk. Hes really helpfull and say he can soures an avarege condition an milage one for me for about 6k all incluesive from japan! althow i have wonderd about getting one from the the u.s?

theWeezL 05-28-2006 12:14 AM

I am the first to admit Im not exactly a drag racing guy, but, even though your arguements for an Automatic on the strip "seem" valid on the surface, I remain skeptical.

I'll put my mostly stock mk3 n/a 5spd up against the same with an automatic on the strip anytime.

as for the reference to pro stock supra's...never heard of one...I was referencing the real "pro" pro-stockers, commonly refered to as door slammers.

But its a moot point and hardly worth bickering over...I only posted here to voice what "I" would buy...and I'll leave it at that

Supra2NR 05-28-2006 03:06 AM

yo jus look at it this way , think this is the most simple way of describing how overwhelmed autos are

a 4 cylinder manual can beat a 6 cylinder atuomatic in a 1/4 mile

considering all other aspects of the car are stock k?

pwpanas 05-29-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra2NR
...a 4 cylinder manual can beat a 6 cylinder atuomatic in a 1/4 mile

considering all other aspects of the car are stock k?

I don't know of any stock Mk4 Supra 4 cylinder manuals ;) ... and that is what BIGDOM was asking about, right?

As long as BIGDOM knows he'll probably be slower in the 1/4 with his Mkiv 6spd, that's the only point of my posts (fwiw, I agree with the WeezL that this isn't worth bickering over). When you're talking about the Mk4 Supra Turbo, the tranny choice is a tradeoff: auto=optimal 1/4 mile times vs. 6spd=roadracing/drifting/fun.

BIGDOM 05-29-2006 08:39 PM

It was a 6 cylender that i am after i dont know of any 4 cyl ones!?!, Just so long as it is quiker than me old clio williams 13.8 @104mph ill bee happy Lol.

Fkatz 06-09-2006 05:14 AM

allright i'm new here and kinda of have the same question lk this so i'm going to revive this thread i love drag racing it is proven that the manual is faster than the automatic (Pro stock) but i grew up at the track and no1 running in the 9's has a manual trans the automatics are more consistent and hold up better in the higher horsepower setups give me a break there is no way you are going to get through 6 gears in the quarter mile unless you lay down a 16 if you like drag racing i think built auto w/good torque conver is better overall then manual but would the 5spd be a good choice for drag racing a supra that runs in the 12's or would auto be better choice i know 5spds are cheaper

when i find supra that is the number i want to hit 12's

pwpanas 06-15-2006 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fkatz
allright i'm new here and kinda of have the same question lk this so i'm going to revive this thread i love drag racing it is proven that the manual is faster than the automatic (Pro stock) but i grew up at the track and no1 running in the 9's has a manual trans the automatics are more consistent and hold up better in the higher horsepower setups give me a break there is no way you are going to get through 6 gears in the quarter mile unless you lay down a 16 if you like drag racing i think built auto w/good torque conver is better overall then manual but would the 5spd be a good choice for drag racing a supra that runs in the 12's or would auto be better choice i know 5spds are cheaper

when i find supra that is the number i want to hit 12's

Auto is a better choice than 5spd, mainly because you can't get a 5spd in a tt, and an n/a won't hit 12s (unless you use a big shot of nos)...

Supra2NR 06-15-2006 04:17 AM

Quote:

Auto is a better choice than 5spd, mainly because you can't get a 5spd in a tt, and an n/a won't hit 12s (unless you use a big shot of nos)...
wrong!! i know a lot that can make 12 seconds passes with the n/a engine

pwpanas 07-07-2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supra2NR
wrong!! i know a lot that can make 12 seconds passes with the n/a engine

Can you post some details to back this up?