Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
2000gts2000
Stock

2000gts2000 is on a distinguished road
Default lookin for some constructive criticisms on an idea

Hi, I'm the proud own of a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S. Reciently i was thinking about swapping out my 2zzge engine and putting in a 2jz twin turbo supra motor in. now, i know that something like this isn't cheap and i would need lots of customization work. but i would like to get your guys opinions on this. Do you guys think something like this is possible? if so, where would be a good place to get a manual 2jz motor from? and how much do you think the custom work would cost to get it all done? any and all criticisms would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
2000gts2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

well first off, with money anything is possible, only if you got enough. second off, i think that is a sweet idea! you would blow everything away. i mean those cars arent all that heavy are they? and then with the 2jz puttin out 300+hp...wow. love the idea... you cant really say how much the work or labor would cost. the motor itself will more than likely put you back some $$. i just did a quick search and came up with 2750 for the turbo model and 1350 for the na
Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
88Supraboy
3" Exhaust

88Supraboy is on a distinguished road

its a cool idea, a 2JZ is the greatest engine, and i'd put it everything i own, if i could. but remember that you'd need to convert to RWD also. not impossiable, but another set back.
88Supraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
2000gts2000
Stock

2000gts2000 is on a distinguished road

another thing i wanted to ask was if anybody knew of any good performance garages in PA. I Live in the small town of Berwick in North East PA and there's nothing for a hundred miles in each direction, so i'm willin to travel a little, no further than Phili. any of you guys got the contact info for any good garages? phone number, website, anything? and please, keep the info comin, i'm lookin for all the info i can get. thanks.
2000gts2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
supratech
Stock

supratech is on a distinguished road

i've always thought that the celica is a female supra, however, celica's are great cars, and if you did an engine swap that severe, you'd be in the magazines in no time
supratech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratech
i've always thought that the celica is a female supra, however, celica's are great cars, and if you did an engine swap that severe, you'd be in the magazines in no time
The Supra is a pissed off Celica. You might have a problem with fitment. The rear turbo might not clear the firewall. And im pretty sure you'd have to bang out the tranny tunnel as the 6 speed tranny is pretty beefy.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default Celica

Did you just make that word up; "fitment". Anyway, it was a good "fitment" for the sentence.
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road
Default great idea

as everybody knows the celica is the big brother of the supra that got outgrown

but the swap with the 2jz is a brilliant idea i even thought of putting the 2jz on my first car a cadillac catera, i know somebody that has done this already and it involved a lot of money, i dunno how much exactly but be sure u r ready for this and not using your car as a daily driver right now cuz if u r, u betta get a rent-a-car to go places cuz it might take sum time,, now u r gonna do some mods with the engine mount, the trans mounts, even where your shifter is bcoz its not in the same place not by much tho, and u r gonna have to mod your firewall since the 2jz is a lil muscular , this is only the few details that i kno because he is kinda a bitch about it not telling anybody

one piece of advice tho , if u r planning to hit the scene hard,,, If you are succesfull with the swap

DO NOT TELL,SHOW,EXPRESS,BRAG,or even put any decals that u r running with more than 300 horses and u got a jz on ur supra,, believe me it will b easier to lure suckers in
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:47 AM   #9
TRAFIK
3" Exhaust

TRAFIK is on a distinguished road
Smile

The first problem you are going to run into is finding a USDM 2jzgte + tranny ( 6speed even harder to find and way more $$$$$) if you decide to get a JDM be ready to get a automatic thats has been taken out from an ARISTO ( but wayyy cheaper ). The setup you want would be a USDM 2jz-gte + 6speed Getrag with all the goodies and wires. Thats hard to find and usually runs about $5500++ depending on the condition. You will have numerous fitment problem, tranny shaft, firewall,turbos , a lot of custom work and mounts ( mostly enlarging ) then along the way you will have to something with fwd to rwh and thats a pain in da BOOTy too. I dont know how the diff and the axels are gonna be set up. It would be VERY interesting to see how this is done and welll.. see it DONE> With a LOT of money and TIME> this would be fun project, but then again after estimating the costs you really have to be dedicated, or rich to actually do it.

I, my friend are neather, thats why I cant spell. : )

--===Give me 2jz-Gte or give me death!===--

Last edited by TRAFIK; 04-24-2006 at 02:49 AM.
TRAFIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

I'd go 3S-GTE instead...way cheaper, way lighter, already set up for FWD would have plenty of power potential for your application. I really don't think you are really grasping what you are thinking of doing. There is a reason nobody else has done this swap. Not even one of the big budget tuner shops or anything. It's just not practical. I see this as a project that you start to try and accomplish and it just doesn't ever get done and hopefully you haven't completely ruined your car in the process or you are out all the money invested and a perfectly good Celica GT-S.

There is no way a 2JZ will fit in the engine compartment of a Celica w/o completely rebuilding an all new engine complartment. Then you'd practically have to cut the underside of the car out so you can make a new trans tunnel that will support a RWD transmission and driveshaft. Find a donor RWD setup that will not require a complete fabrication job to install in your car (chances: slim to none). Plus when you are done, you won't have anything remotely resembling a factory car or a daily driver I suspect.

Not only will you be going into uncharted territory, meaning you will have to trial and error so many aspects of this swap. That means more money invested in things that might not even work, which means more money spent on finding a new solution that will work. I'd stick w/ something that has already been done and has a well documented installation and troubleshooting and a strong base of support in others who have done the swap themselves.

I mean, I could try and install a BMW V12 into my MkIII but why would I want to try something like that when I can install a 1JZ which has already been done and I can turn to people and posts on the internet to help me accomplish my goal and I am almost certainly going to finish what I started. All of the issues have already been worked out and I know what to expect.

I hope this at least helps you start to actually think about what it is you are thinking of doing. If you are still dead set on it, by all means go for it. I'd love to see it done. When and if you do it, feel free to bring it to New Mexico if only to say "Told ya so!!!" But my money is on, if you aren't the owner of a super successful tuner shop w/ unlimited project car budget (if you were, you wouldn't be on this forum asking questions about it). You probably will find if VERRY hard to see this idea through.

Just my .35 cents.

-Troy
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote