Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
sausa
Stock

sausa is on a distinguished road
Question turbo or not ??? That's the question ...

Hi everybody, i'm new on this forum.
I come from France, so sorry for my aproximated english!
I have a question : i went to buy a supra MKIV in england (it have no one in France!!!) but the models without turbo is cheaper than the twin and i don't have a lot of money (because the homologation is very expensive) :-(
So my question is : can't i buy this car without turbo and instal a turbo, or a twin turbo like a hks... ?

Thanks
sausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
redmaro
walbro fp

redmaro is on a distinguished road

Dont know much on the Mk4, but yes you can make it turbo. Aftermarket single turbo will be your best bet. But you'll also have to upgrade other basics to make the turbo work for your Mk4.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
sausa
Stock

Thanks, so i can make it a single turbo, but a twin one ?
It is possible ?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausa
Thanks, so i can make it a single turbo, but a twin one ?
It is possible ?
  1. Yes, it IS possible, but it would be VERY difficult. It would also be much, much more expensive than a single turbo...unless you know how to weld and you're willing to put a LOT of your own time into the project (I'd estimate 200 hours+++). For example, that HKS Twin Turbo kit you mentioned will NOT fit or bolt up to the non-turbo Mkiv Supra cylinder head...not even close. In other words, for a twin turbo on a non-turbo Mkiv Supra, the entire turbocharging system would have to be completely custom-fabricated (in addition to changes to the engine, to deal with the higher compression ratio of the 2jz-ge).
  2. Why do you think you want to have a twin turbo? The ONLY advantage to a twin turbo for an inline-6 engine is if you can have the two turbos operate sequentially (as they do with the oem setup). All aftermarket twin turbo kits (including the HKS twin turbo kit you mentioned) do not operate sequentially, and therefore perform almost identically to a large single turbo.
  3. For the same reason that the HKS Twin turbo kit would not fit, you also can not install the Mkiv Supra Turbo's oem (sequential) twin turbos (from the 2jz-gte) onto the Mkiv Supra non-turbo engine (2jz-ge), because (again) the cylinder head is a very different configuration (when compared with the turbo Mkiv Supra engine).
  4. Your easiest and most cost-effective alternative is to go with one of the many plug-and-play / bolt-on single turbo kits for the non-turbo Mkiv Supra...such as this one:
    http://www.boostlogic.com/parts/supr...oKitStage2.htm
  5. Lastly, note that if you do turbocharge a non-turbo Mkiv Supra, the unfortunate news is that you still won't have anywhere near the overall level of GT sportscar that the Mkiv Supra Turbo is. There are many, many other very significant differences between the two cars, such as the transmissions, the differentials, the ignition system, the entire braking system, etc., etc. In other words, if what you really want is an Mkiv Supra Turbo, then (fow what little my opinion might be worth) I'd strongly suggest you save your $ for a longer period of time, and then purchase the car you really want.
P.S. What did you mean when you said "homologation"? Did you mean the customs & import fees to legally import the car from the UK to France? If so, would these fees be different for an Mkiv Supra Turbo vs. an Mkiv Supra non-turbo?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-27-2007 at 11:16 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
sausa
Stock

Thanks pwpanas for your answer.
It s very complete !
It s difficult for me to have documentation about MKIV because in France when you go to toyota for have informations everybody don't know what is it!!
And i don't know this type of engine because is not the same conseption than european !!! So it s new for me and my garagist (it a friend), we always work on 2.2L or 3L gasoil !!! or 2.0 V6 volwagen sometimes !!
I ll buy it in 2 months normaly, after homologation (2-6 months !!!), i ll start the work, and i ll returns to this forum for adress or things like that!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks pwpanas for your answer.
It s very complete !...
Of course, you're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.
Quote:
...And i don't know this type of engine because is not the same conseption than european !!!...
I don't know what you mean here. The 3L 2jz-gte is available in both the Aristo and the Mkiv Supra, both of which were sold in Europe, right? Also, the non-turbo 2jz-ge was also sold in several Lexus models including the GS300, IS300 and SC300, all of which (I believe) were sold in Europe too. ...or do you mean "not the same conseption than" France? Please explain what you mean...

Quote:
...I ll buy it in 2 months normaly, after homologation (2-6 months !!!)...
Again, what do you mean by homologation? Is that what you call France's import & customs procedures for automobiles?

Quote:
...i ll start the work, and i ll returns to this forum for adress or things like that!
Good luck...I hope it works out well.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-29-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
sausa
Stock

the homologation is what i call France's import & customs procedures for automobiles.

In france, toyota sold nearly 90 toyota supra, it's the same for Honda with the NSX , it's impossible to drive a skyline because you can have procedures when you import it.

In france the most fast cars are germans cars! Nobody have modified car with 700 or 800 hp. Tuners often have small engine. Everythiks it's different. Do you ever see the Paris Tuning Show ? you may understand what i need !!! It's the best in France and i thinks a small meeting in the USA will be more interesting !!!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:22 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...In france the most fast cars are germans cars! Nobody have modified car with 700 or 800 hp. Tuners often have small engine. Everythiks it's different.
In the usa, where large-displacement v8s are common, a 3L inline six is considered to be a small engine too...

Quote:
...Do you ever see the Paris Tuning Show ?
Unfortunately, no.

Quote:
...you may understand what i need !!!
Since I haven't seen it, I'm not sure...but if I base it on some of the other auto shows I have seen, I'm guessing you're wanting a sweet ride that performs well, looks great, and has an awesome a/v system?

Quote:
...i thinks a small meeting in the USA will be more interesting !!!
Are you planning to visit the USA for a car show, or for a Supra meet?