Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
94TT
Stock

94TT is on a distinguished road
Default Leaking Oil

[img]images/icons/icon1.gif[/img] Leaking Oil?
My 94 Supra TT has been leaking a little oil at the Valve cover for some time.

When I took off the valve covers to replace the gaskets around 130,000 miles I discovered the valve covers where just loose on the inside corner nuts.

I replaced the gaskets anyway and put it all back together. Be sure and order new valve cover breather (crossover) hoses before you start because they are usually brittle and your local Toyota dealer does not stock them. Try Champion Toyota 800-327-2087 ask for Jeff.
94TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94TT
[img]images/icons/icon1.gif[/img] Leaking Oil?
My 94 Supra TT has been leaking a little oil at the Valve cover for some time.

When I took off the valve covers to replace the gaskets around 130,000 miles I discovered the valve covers where just loose on the inside corner nuts.

I replaced the gaskets anyway and put it all back together. Be sure and order new valve cover breather (crossover) hoses before you start because they are usually brittle and your local Toyota dealer does not stock them. Try Champion Toyota 800-327-2087 ask for Jeff.
If you don't mind me asking, did you use fipg when you reassembled, as per the tsrm procedure? Also, did you replace all of the grommets that seal each bolt & stud+nut?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-04-2006 at 12:36 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
94TT
Stock

Default Yes

Yes, I used fipg and replaced the grommets
Old 12-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yes, I used fipg and replaced the grommets
Is it still leaking?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #5
94TT
Stock

Default Not a drop

It's been 4 months and not a drop has leaked out
Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
It's been 4 months and not a drop has leaked out
Good to hear.

Note that this problem is somewhat common on high mileage MKIV TTs, due to the heat generated in the head area. The rubber in the valve/cam cover gaskets and the grommets gets hard, and cracks. Since the valve cover bolts & nuts are spec'd at a relatively low foot-lbs, the first signs of hardening & cracking will usually create a leak. Also (for the other readers of this thread) note that some owners panic when they see their sparkplug hole soaked in oil (if the leak is on that side of the valve/cam cover), thinking it might be a serious problem with the head.

Again, (fwiw) I'm glad you got the problem corrected. Thanks for posting the info!

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-13-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
seanheather
Stock

seanheather is on a distinguished road

i have a 94 Toyota supra 2jz gte 3.0 and its leaking oil from the top of motorhow much will it cost to fix and is it a easy fix
seanheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanheather View Post
i have a 94 Toyota supra 2jz gte 3.0 and its leaking oil from the top of motor - how much will it cost to fix and is it a easy fix
Overall, the fix is quite easy, and it is relatively inexpensive.

The least expensive part is replacing the cam cover gaskets - you'll need to use Toyota's form-in-place gasket (aka 'FIPG') to seal at the front corners where the gasket loops over the bearing. Most likely you'll need to replace the PCV hoses too.

Although some regard it as optional, I'd recommend you replace all of the metal+rubber washers on all the cam cover bolts. The rubber inside these washers often get old and brittle too, and won't properly seal unless they are replaced. Although each one of these metal+rubber washers is inexpensive, there are quite a few of them...so the price does add up to replace them all. If you would prefer to avoid this expenditure, a thin layer of FIPG around each bolt, at the corner where it meets the rubber washer *may* work to keep the oil sealed in, instead of all new washers...but this alternative process also may make the next valve cover removal quite difficult. You could also skip this and use the old washers and hope for the best.

Lastly, you may notice that your wiring harness' coil pack connectors are brittle when you remove them. Although it has nothing to do with the oil leak, you may need to replace one or more of these as well...which can also be done quite easily. Please let us know if you need the Toyota part number for this.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-30-2014 at 10:08 AM.