Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
onesicsupra
Stock

onesicsupra is on a distinguished road
Default true twin turbo mod

hey does anyone know how much boost the true twin conversion puts out without a boost controller? i have a boost gauge but its broken. i have the heavy duty intercooler boots for deisels and they keep slipping off so i need to know how much boost it is putting out. please let me know guys thanks
onesicsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesicsupra
hey does anyone know how much boost the true twin conversion puts out without a boost controller? i have a boost gauge but its broken. i have the heavy duty intercooler boots for deisels and they keep slipping off so i need to know how much boost it is putting out. please let me know guys thanks
Both true twin, and (oem) sequential mode, put out about the same boost level without a boost controller (approx 11.5psi without a downpipe, and about 13psi - 14psi with a downpipe)...also depending on mileage & 'health' of your engine & turbos.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-13-2006 at 12:12 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
onesicsupra
Stock

i just bought the motor it had 47000 miles on it i know this because i bought it jdm and saw the car before it was taken out. i have a greddy fmic and downpipe with 3.5 inch exaust all the way back. i also have another problem with the ttc. first gear does fine but after that it starts popping like its not getting enough fuel.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i just bought the motor it had 47000 miles on it i know this because i bought it jdm and saw the car before it was taken out. i have a greddy fmic and downpipe with 3.5 inch exaust all the way back. i also have another problem with the ttc. first gear does fine but after that it starts popping like its not getting enough fuel.
How many miles since you have changed the spark plugs?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
onesicsupra
Stock

I havn't done it since i bought the engine about 8 months ago so i will try it, do you know what kind are the best for a supra?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I havn't done it since i bought the engine about 8 months ago so i will try it, do you know what kind are the best for a supra?
If you want plugs that don't need to be changed very often, just get stock plugs (platinum) and gap them down to about .032". Note: be VERY careful about damaging the tiny center electrode while gapping platinum plugs...the slightest scratch, scuff, or 'nick' on the edge of the electrode, will radically reduce the service life of the plug.

If you want copper plugs that need to be changed about every oil change, NGK 6097's are ideal for a 'bpu' Mkiv tt, imho...also gap them down to about .032" (depending on the max boost you plan to run, how old your coilpacks are, and whether you have an ignition amplifier (eg. HKS DLI)). Note that copper plugs are MUCH easier to gap than platinum.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-23-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
onesicsupra
Stock

i changed my plugs and i got the platinums and it didnt change at all, i think i may need a fuel pressure regulator, what do you guys think? my old plugs were disscolored and i looked at the chart and it said that i was running too lean.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i changed my plugs and i got the platinums and it didnt change at all, i think i may need a fuel pressure regulator, what do you guys think? my old plugs were disscolored and i looked at the chart and it said that i was running too lean.
Are you using a us-spec ecu or a jdm ecu?

Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #9
onesicsupra
Stock

u.s. at the moment i have a jdm 5 speed turbo but i need a clutch pedal assembly to use it because im auto
Old 09-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
u.s. at the moment i have a jdm 5 speed turbo but i need a clutch pedal assembly to use it because im auto
Is there such thing as a jdm 5 speed turbo? Afaik, the 2jz-gte only came with the 6spd.

Also, why are you changing to the jdm engine? Is there something wrong with your current engine? ...or are you only swapping ecu's and if so, why?

You said "...first gear does fine but after that it starts popping like its not getting enough fuel...". Does it also do that when you put it back to oem sequential mode?

Please fill us in on all of the details of the Supra you're currently driving with the "popping" problem', including all of the modifications.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-25-2006 at 11:26 AM.