Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
supraman623
Intake

supraman623 is on a distinguished road
Default 5 speed to a 6 speed

I have a N/A 95 supra so it has the 5 speed tranny. i plan on re building the entire car from the ground up so i will be replacing the entire motore with the 2jzgte and the 6 speed tranny with it. i am wondering how hard it is to make everything work in my car with that tranny ect shift linkage and such?
supraman623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman623 View Post
I have a N/A 95 supra so it has the 5 speed tranny. i plan on re building the entire car from the ground up so i will be replacing the entire motore with the 2jzgte and the 6 speed tranny with it. i am wondering how hard it is to make everything work in my car with that tranny ect shift linkage and such?
The tranny swap will be a piece of cake. However, the engine swap will require far more than just the engine - for starters, you'll need a 2jz-gte primary wiring harness, a 2jz-gte ecu, an ignitor and a resistor pack - there's much more to it than motor-only.

What will you be doing for brakes and diff? You can't reliably stop a TT powered chassis with n/a brakes. Also, the n/a diff is much weaker than the TT diff.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
supraman623
Intake

i plan on rebuilding the car from the ground up. probably going to go with the diff from a tt supra and the breaks with be project mu. for everything with the motor i have a friend with a 2jz-gte motor with all the goodies with it. i have heard the engine in a tt sits like and inch and a half higher becasue of the intercooler. is this true?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i plan on rebuilding the car from the ground up. probably going to go with the diff from a tt supra and the breaks with be project mu.
Although bigger calipers will help, note that the ABS ecu and ABS control system in the TT has significantly more features than the n/a ABS system (especially for roadracing applications).

Quote:
for everything with the motor i have a friend with a 2jz-gte motor with all the goodies with it.
What are goodies?

Quote:
i have heard the engine in a tt sits like and inch and a half higher becasue of the intercooler. is this true?
Not true. The intercooler is by the bumper (not in the engine bay).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
supraman623
Intake

ya i definitly see what you are saying about the brakes. as for the motor my friend took the motor out of a tt supra that was had been totald but all of the engine components and engine itself was saved. including the ecu and wiring harness.
so the motor mounts in the tt and the n/a are the same and i wont have any trouble with putting the motor itself in?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...so the motor mounts in the tt and the n/a are the same and i wont have any trouble with putting the motor itself in?
Correct. In fact, the 2jz-gte and 2jz-ge blocks are identical other than the internal oil-squirters.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
supraman623
Intake

okay well i talked to my friend again about the 2jzgte and he said he can not find the ecu or anything for the motore. so now all i have is the block and all the mechanical stuff, tranny, intake exahaust manifolds, turbos and such. where is the best place to get an ecu for that motor. also i know you said something about the diffs, i know i need stronger ones, do you have any suggestions on where to get them, and with the 2jzgte ecu will that give me the same fuctions for the brakes as comes on the tt? and besides the actual motor and tranny and ecu what else do i need to make this work. i want to get everything at on time so i can get a deal and so im not going back and forth
Old 10-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
okay well i talked to my friend again about the 2jzgte and he said he can not find the ecu or anything for the motore. so now all i have is the block and all the mechanical stuff, tranny, intake exahaust manifolds, turbos and such. where is the best place to get an ecu for that motor. also i know you said something about the diffs, i know i need stronger ones, do you have any suggestions on where to get them, and with the 2jzgte ecu will that give me the same fuctions for the brakes as comes on the tt? and besides the actual motor and tranny and ecu what else do i need to make this work. i want to get everything at on time so i can get a deal and so im not going back and forth
You can get an ecu either from Toyota, or possibly on ebay.
The n/a diff will probably handle a bone-stock 2jz-gte just fine. If you're going to upgrade the 2jz-gte with a single turbo, that's when you'll run into trouble.
You'll need to replace the abs ecu and the abs control valve mechanism in order to duplicate the TT brake functionality.
Honestly, by the time you upgrade the entire braking system, and the entire powertrain, you'll have spent more $ than starting off with a full TT Mkiv Supra in the first place...

Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
supraman623
Intake

ya i have been told that a million times. and i completely agree but this car is kinda special to me becasue of who i got it from and i want to make everything on the car a reflection of myself and costomize everything to my driving habits. its just to hard to find a tt supra nowadays that is completely bone stock
Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
supraman623
Intake

this is one of the things i need right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories