Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
YUSOSLOW
Stock

YUSOSLOW is on a distinguished road
Default 2jz non turbo and 2zj turbo same engine?

Me and a buddy got to thinking, is the non turbo and the turbo versions of the 2jz the same engine just minus the turbos? internals and everything the same or different?
YUSOSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUSOSLOW View Post
Me and a buddy got to thinking, is the non turbo and the turbo versions of the 2jz the same engine just minus the turbos? internals and everything the same or different?
No. Not even close.
  • The *only* part I believe is exactly the same is the crankshaft.
  • The cast iron short-block is very similar, but the turbo (2jz-gTe) block has oil squirters to keep the pistons cool.
  • The pistons are different because the compression ratio is different, and because the n/a pistons have no channel in the bottom for oil squirted on them from the block.
  • I believe the connecting rods are different (due to the different pistons and the different power requirements), but I'm not 100% sure about that.
  • The part that's the most different is the entire head.
    • For example, the port layout is radically different on the exhaust side. The non-turbo engine (2jz-ge) has the exhaust ports evenly spaced, whereas the 2jz-gte has ports 1&3 angled towards the front turbo, and ports 4&6 angled towards the rear turbo.
    • The port sizes and shapes are different too on both the intake and the exhaust.
    • The valve covers on the 2jz-ge have an indent for the intake and thottle body, which are routed over the top of the engine. The 2jz-gte intake and throttle body are on the left side of the engine only.
    • Of course, these differences in the head mean that the intake and exhaust manifolds are radically different too.
    • The 2jz-ge has a hole in the head for a mechanical distributor, whereas the 2jz-gte has no distributor hole because it has a fully electronic ignition system.
  • The 2jz-ge has a single coil, whereas I know 100% for sure that the 2jz-gte has six coils (one per sparkplug).
  • The cams are significantly different (eg. probably different lift & duration specs). Also, one of the 2jz-ge cams must have a gear for the distributor...which you won't find on the 2jz-gte cams.
  • The injectors are a different size.
  • Any other members deeply familiar with the 2jz-ge please chime in. I know the 2jz-gte like the back of my hand, but I haven't really studied the 2jz-ge in depth.
Those are just a few examples of how the engine is different. Don't even get me started on the dozens of other major components that are night-and-day different between the two vehicles (transmission, differential, abs system/brakes, suspension, etc., etc., etc.). To make a long story short: if you want a Supra Turbo and/or you want to go fast, save your $ and buy an Mkiv Supra Turbo. If you don't care about performance and you just want to look good, buy an n/a Mkiv Supra...and then (of course) never race it. You probably shouldn't or open the hood either, except to change the oil when no one else is around (and hope no one notices your sucky brake calipers).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-18-2013 at 10:18 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
YUSOSLOW
Stock

YUSOSLOW is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Much appreciated.
YUSOSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote