Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   Help! check engine light alwasy come up in cold (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/18345-help-check-engine-light-alwasy-come-up-in-cold.html)

2JZDU 12-24-2010 04:04 PM

Help! check engine light alwasy come up in cold

dear all,
I just bought a 93 tt supra which has a very weird problem.

Every time I want start the car in a cold morning, the check engine light will come up, the max RPM I can only rev up to 2000rpm then it will go straight down to idle even I am holding the accelerate pedal, felt like car couldn't suck in any air, also petrol smell will become very stronge,
the radiator fan will work even the car was just started.

At first I was trying to ignore it, but car has no power at all, and it does unbelievable shake if I drive it.

however, if the sun comes out, these will all go away.
I have took it to a garage to get a diagnostic code, but they told me car is all good, has no problem, This almost drives me crazy.

can somebody tell me what wrong is it?
I am very appreciated.

pwpanas 12-24-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 90952)
dear all,
I just bought a 93 tt supra which has a very weird problem.

Every time I want start the car in a cold morning, the check engine light will come up, the max RPM I can only rev up to 2000rpm then it will go straight down to idle even I am holding the accelerate pedal, felt like car couldn't suck in any air, also petrol smell will become very stronge,
the radiator fan will work even the car was just started.

At first I was trying to ignore it, but car has no power at all, and it does unbelievable shake if I drive it.

however, if the sun comes out, these will all go away.
I have took it to a garage to get a diagnostic code, but they told me car is all good, has no problem, This almost drives me crazy.

can somebody tell me what wrong is it?
I am very appreciated.

1) The garage you took it to sucks. If the check-engine linght comes on, there will be a code stored in your ecu.
2) What you've described seems to be a tough problem to diagnose. Perhaps a sticking idle-air control valve?

I'd suggest starting by reading your own codes:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd2_codes.html

I'd suggest you should also check for boost/vacuum leaks by pressurizing your charge-air system.

2JZDU 12-25-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 90954)
1) The garage you took it to sucks. If the check-engine linght comes on, there will be a code stored in your ecu.
2) What you've described seems to be a tough problem to diagnose. Perhaps a sticking idle-air control valve?

I'd suggest starting by reading your own codes:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd2_codes.html

I'd suggest you should also check for boost/vacuum leaks by pressurizing your charge-air system.

Tnak you, I will try to diganostic by my self.

another problem is, I started the car at afternoon, everything are nonrmal, no engine light, boost and rev are fine...this is completey doesn't make sense:confused:

does the car like to stay under sunshine????

pwpanas 12-27-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 90962)
Tnak you, I will try to diganostic by my self.

another problem is, I started the car at afternoon, everything are nonrmal, no engine light, boost and rev are fine...this is completey doesn't make sense:confused:

does the car like to stay under sunshine????

Until we find out your codes, it's all guesswork. It's possible that in cold weather, your IAC valve could be sticking. It's also possible that the IAC has nothing to do with the problem. See what I mean?

Please post the codes when you find them out.

2JZDU 01-11-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 90994)
Until we find out your codes, it's all guesswork. It's possible that in cold weather, your IAC valve could be sticking. It's also possible that the IAC has nothing to do with the problem. See what I mean?

Please post the codes when you find them out.

finally found the problem, it was caused by the cam sensor.

now the car was fixed, great day:bouncy:.
thanks for all the help.

pwpanas 01-11-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91392)
finally found the problem, it was caused by the cam sensor.
now the car was fixed, great day:bouncy:.
thanks for all the help.

Congratulations.

Just curious - weren't codes 12 and/or 13 stored in your ecu?

2JZDU 01-11-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91394)
Congratulations.

Just curious - weren't codes 12 and/or 13 stored in your ecu?

it was code 13

pwpanas 01-11-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91395)
it was code 13

Did you fix it yourself? Also, did you (or the mechanic) determine why the cam sensors were failing when it was cold?

2JZDU 01-12-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91404)
Did you fix it yourself? Also, did you (or the mechanic) determine why the cam sensors were failing when it was cold?

I tool it to mechanic, cause I couldn't find any diagnosis tool around.

they didn't tell me when you found the code, but I guess the code which they found should be stored in ECU. casue They did they in the morning, and it's not cold.

but I srtill don't understand, what relation between cam sensor and cold weather....

pwpanas 01-12-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91414)
I tool it to mechanic, cause I couldn't find any diagnosis tool around....

"Diagnosis tool"??? What on earth are you talking about? Where did you get the idea that you had to obtain a "diagnosis tool"?

All you need is a paper clip to "Connect terminal between TE1 and E1 of data link connector 1 or 2". Didn't you read the link I posted???
That tech article does NOT mention a "diagnosis tool", in any way, shape or form.
:squint:

If you don't mind me saying so, if you'd have fixed this yourself instead of taking it to a mechanic, you would have learned "relation between cam sensor and cold weather".

2JZDU 01-12-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91442)
"Diagnosis tool"??? What on earth are you talking about?

All you need is a paper clip to "Connect terminal between TE1 and E1 of data link connector 1 or 2". Didn't you read the link I posted???
That tech article does NOT mention a "diagnosis tool", in any way, shape or form.
:squint:

If you don't mind me saying so, if you'd have fixed this yourself instead of taking it to a mechanic, you would have learned "relation between cam sensor and cold weather".

yes I read that, but I just don't understand where can I found the codes after I connect those connector, cause I throught I will need a computer thing to plug in the connector, then code will be shown on the screen.

pwpanas 01-12-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91443)
yes I read that, but I just don't understand where can I found the codes after I connect those connector, cause I throught I will need a computer thing to plug in the connector, then code will be shown on the screen.

With a paper clip in the connector, how could you plug anything else into it?

If you read the tech article, and maybe didn't understand part of it, why didn't you ask?

Your "check engine light" is really called a "malfunction indicator lamp" by Toyota. This from the very first paragraphs of the tech article:
"The ECM contains a built-in self-diagnosis system by which troubles with the engine signal network are detected and a malfunction indicator lamp on the instrument panel lights up...
The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected."
Again, this tech article does NOT mention a "diagnosis tool", in any way, shape or form.

2JZDU 01-12-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91444)
With a paper clip in the connector, how could you plug anything else into it?

If you read the tech article, and maybe didn't understand part of it, why didn't you ask?

Your "check engine light" is really called a "malfunction indicator lamp" by Toyota. This from the very first paragraphs of the tech article:
"The ECM contains a built-in self-diagnosis system by which troubles with the engine signal network are detected and a malfunction indicator lamp on the instrument panel lights up...
The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected."

right, so that mean I just need to count how many time it flash then I can find the problem throug that table?

and what if the car has some another problems, after I read one do I need to re-connect again for next code?

thank you, learn a big thing today

pwpanas 01-12-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91445)
right, so that mean I just need to count how many time it flash then I can find the problem throug that table?...

Yes. Again, please read, and re-read, and re-read that tech article until you fully understand it.

Quote:

...and what if the car has some another problems, after I read one do I need to re-connect again for next code?...

No. Please read the tech article. The codes follow one another in a pattern of flashes. The tech article COMPLETELY explains ALL of this!!!

Quote:

...thank you, learn a big thing today

You're welcome. I only wish you would have asked more questions before you assumed that you needed some sort of fancy "diagnosis tool", and sent your car away to someone that may or may not have fixed the problem, and may or may not have charged you for parts that you did not need.

2JZDU 01-18-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91447)
Yes. Again, please read, and re-read, and re-read that tech article until you fully understand it.

No. Please read the tech article. The codes follow one another in a pattern of flashes. The tech article COMPLETELY explains ALL of this!!!

You're welcome. I only wish you would have asked more questions before you assumed that you needed some sort of fancy "diagnosis tool", and sent your car away to someone that may or may not have fixed the problem, and may or may not have charged you for parts that you did not need.

hey bro, I need your help again.
today the check engine light appeared again, then I diagnosised it myself.
here is the result I have got:

engine light flash once, after 1 sec, it keep flashed 4 time, then repeat form the beginning.

the over/drive light flashed twice first, then flashed 4 times, and repeat.

I just to find to the code from the table, but I dont quite understand the table, please help me, many thanks

engine light flash once, after 1 sec, it keep flashed 4 time, then repeat form the beginning.

I just to find to the code from the table, but I dont quite understand the table, please help me, many thanks

pwpanas 01-19-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91597)

The engine light flashes seem like code 14, from your description.

The OD light flashing seems like code 24, from your description.

2JZDU 01-19-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91621)
The engine light flashes seem like code 14, from your description.

The OD light flashing seems like code 24, from your description.

so now the problem is either igniter and ECM, any suggesttion how should I check it myself? any experiences?

pwpanas 01-20-2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 91645)
so now the problem is either igniter and ECM, any suggesttion how should I check it myself? any experiences?

The easiest way to check for an ignitor problem is to swap it with a known-good ignitor from another Mkiv Supra TT.

Other than that, the TSRM details all of the troubleshooting steps you need to accurately diagnose any problem (this one included).

2JZDU 03-05-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 91654)
The easiest way to check for an ignitor problem is to swap it with a known-good ignitor from another Mkiv Supra TT.

Other than that, the TSRM details all of the troubleshooting steps you need to accurately diagnose any problem (this one included).

hi mate, I need your help again. Today I found my check engine will on if I drive over 140Km/h, but if I shut it down and restart the engine, the light will go away, I think might be a false o2 sensor. Anyway I try to diagnostic what the problem really was, but the weird thing happen.

engine light flash once, after one second, it keeps flash 4 times quickly, after one second, it flash two times more quickly as well, then go back to beginning.

I looked up the table and I couldn't find any condition of 2,

do you have any ideas what that was? I am very appreciated.

pwpanas 03-06-2011 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 93100)
hi mate, I need your help again. Today I found my check engine will on if I drive over 140Km/h, but if I shut it down and restart the engine, the light will go away, I think might be a false o2 sensor. Anyway I try to diagnostic what the problem really was, but the weird thing happen.

engine light flash once, after one second, it keeps flash 4 times quickly, after one second, it flash two times more quickly as well, then go back to beginning.

I looked up the table and I couldn't find any condition of 2,

do you have any ideas what that was? I am very appreciated.

One of the two codes appears to be 14, right?. Let's start with that:

Ignition Signal

No IGF signal to ECM for 4~7 consecutive IGT signals with engine speed less than 3,000 rpm.
  • Open or short in IGF circuit from igniter to ECM
  • Igniter
  • ECM
ONn/a
Yes

It seems you may have a problem with your igniter. Did you ever get a TSRM for your Supra?

Also, please re-check those codes. I don't think it's possible for the ecm to give a single-digit code. Perhaps it's 22?

2JZDU 03-06-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 93118)
One of the two codes appears to be 14, right?. Let's start with that:

Ignition Signal

No IGF signal to ECM for 4~7 consecutive IGT signals with engine speed less than 3,000 rpm.
  • Open or short in IGF circuit from igniter to ECM
  • Igniter
  • ECM
ONn/a
Yes

It seems you may have a problem with your igniter. Did you ever get a TSRM for your Supra?

Also, please re-check those codes. I don't think it's possible for the ecm to give a single-digit code. Perhaps it's 22?

hi mate, but if it's code 22, should the time gap of those flash a bit longer? I did upload to youtube, would you mindhave a quick look for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7V4UdBdpZw

many thanks

pwpanas 03-06-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 93125)
hi mate, but if it's code 22, should the time gap of those flash a bit longer? I did upload to youtube, would you mindhave a quick look for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7V4UdBdpZw

many thanks

To me, it looks like codes 14, 21, and 42. Can you continue the video longer? There is a HUGE pause when the cycle of codes ends...

2JZDU 03-13-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 93154)
To me, it looks like codes 14, 21, and 42. Can you continue the video longer? There is a HUGE pause when the cycle of codes ends...

hi mate, I have replaced an good working igniter, but the code 14 is still there, and I have take a longer vedio this time but I got two code of 42, it almost drives me crazy ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5tlmKcrUZA

pwpanas 03-13-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 93376)
hi mate, I have replaced an good working igniter, but the code 14 is still there, and I have take a longer vedio this time but I got two code of 42, it almost drives me crazy ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5tlmKcrUZA

Yep it's codes 14 and 42 for sure. The TSRM will help you to diagnose each code. This isn't 'rocket science' or voodoo. Each code has a series of troubleshooting steps, detailed in the TSRM, that will always resolve the code. Think of it this way - even a high-school graduate Toyota mechanic has to be able to follow the instructions! :) No slam against high school grads at all - I often wish I had a job that let me get outdoors or get some exercise during the day instead of being stuck behind a desk.

14 is your "Ingition Signal" (not necessarily your igniter). It could also be an open or short in the circuit, or a problem with the ECM itself. You'll likely have to diagnose the problem with a multimeter.

...and 42 is a problem with your "No. 1 Vehicle Speed Sensor" (or the electrical connection to it from the ecu). Replace the sensor and/or troubleshoot the wiring with a multimeter.

Again, get the TSRM!!! It'll save you time and $$$. Really!

2JZDU 03-30-2011 12:37 PM

finally fixed the problem.
it casued by the starter...but the car give me a code 14..:werd:
anyway.. thank you everyone

pwpanas 03-31-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2JZDU (Post 93819)
finally fixed the problem.
it casued by the starter...but the car give me a code 14..:werd:
anyway.. thank you everyone

Thank you for posting back with your result, and congratulations on solving the problem!

nbbruch 09-14-2011 02:04 AM

Same thing on 1993 supra TT

Im getting codes 14 and 42 also. Car goes into safe mode and runs but with no power and misses awful if u step on the gas to much. You say you replaced the starter?????????????? and that fixed it? please confirm this for me as I can get to work on that. Thanks

pwpanas 09-19-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbbruch (Post 98075)
Im getting codes 14 and 42 also. Car goes into safe mode and runs but with no power and misses awful if u step on the gas to much. You say you replaced the starter?????????????? and that fixed it? please confirm this for me as I can get to work on that. Thanks

You probably have a boost leak.