Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
kylej
Stock

kylej is on a distinguished road

If you go big single turbo your looking at 6000, the fuel system is about 2000 yeah, and exhaust can range alot between 800-1400, maybe even more. As for the rest its relatively cheap, besides an intercooler I guess you can get pretty expensive if your planning on running 1000+whp. Also I'd probably get a new clutch, I don't think the stock ones rated for that, haha.. I'm changing mine once I reach 600whp. And unless your planning on putting a stroker kit in it and spending 11000 your fine for dolla.
kylej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylej View Post
If you go big single turbo your looking at 6000, the fuel system is about 2000 yeah, and exhaust can range alot between 800-1400, maybe even more. As for the rest its relatively cheap, besides an intercooler I guess you can get pretty expensive if your planning on running 1000+whp. Also I'd probably get a new clutch, I don't think the stock ones rated for that, haha.. I'm changing mine once I reach 600whp. And unless your planning on putting a stroker kit in it and spending 11000 your fine for dolla.
Actually you can get a relatively large single setup for more like $4,500 (not $6K). "The rest" of it is actually not cheap at all - for example an aftermarket ecu setup will cost about $2500. You'll need wider-than-oem rear rims to handle a single turbo, which is another $3K-$6K. The list goes on and on.

Your stock clutch won't handle anywhere near 600whp. Plan on replacing it at the 400whp level. Above 600whp or so you'll need a dual-plate clutch. Above approximately 800whp you'll probably need a triple-plate clutch.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #13
jdmdriver
Stock

jdmdriver is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help!

ok I am new to supras I loved them ever since i got to ride in one. Im looking to get the 2jz engine this winter and build it up a little and put it in a car this spring. So i need help finding a motor and tranny first then i need help with the shell. and i also was wondering im seeing alot of people on here say swap the twin turbo system out and put a single turbo kit in i was wondering why and which set up is better?
jdmdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdriver View Post
ok I am new to supras I loved them ever since i got to ride in one. Im looking to get the 2jz engine this winter and build it up a little...
"Build it up a little"??? Whatever for? It'll handle 1000hp bone-stock. How much horsepower do you want to make???
Quote:
...and put it in a car this spring. So i need help finding a motor and tranny first then i need help with the shell. and i also was wondering im seeing alot of people on here say swap the twin turbo system out and put a single turbo kit in i was wondering why and which set up is better?
The oem twin turbo set up is sequential. Two smaller sequential turbos is "better" because it spools up quicker than one bigger turbo. HOWEVER, a single turbo setup is bigger because you have more choices of much larger turbos. There are aftermarket (large) twin setups, but they're mostly parallel (not sequential), so they don't spool up any faster than a single. Also, the aftermarket (large) twin turbo setup is more expensive than a large single turbo kit.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #15
jdmdriver
Stock

jdmdriver is on a distinguished road

I was just meaning like new pistons and little stuff like that do you know where i could get a 2jz engine and tranny?

Ok so when i get the motor I should look to get smaller turbos for the twin turbo setup? what brand or what kind of turbos are good for the smaller twin turbo setup?

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-30-2010 at 02:09 AM.
jdmdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I was just meaning like new pistons and little stuff like that do you know where i could get a 2jz engine and tranny?
ROFL pistons aren't "little stuff"! This is a 1000hp-capable 3L engine out of a $50K gt sportscar! Bearing tolerances are measured in hundred thousandths of an inch. Unfortunately, your neighbor's cousin bubba really doesn't have the machining tools or the skills needed to build a 2jz-gte.

If Toyota's oem 2jz-gte pistons aren't strong enough for you, just how much horsepower are you planning to make???

Regarding your question, Toyota sells 2jz-gte engines and v160 trannies.

Quote:
Ok so when i get the motor I should look to get smaller turbos for the twin turbo setup? what brand or what kind of turbos are good for the smaller twin turbo setup?
the oem twin turbo setup already comes with smaller turbos. The brand is Toyota.

Big and mid-sized single turbo kits have several other brands to choose from.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-30-2010 at 02:10 AM.