Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
mrgdm007
Intake

mrgdm007 is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrading Supra-Tips

Ok so I have a 94 stock supra tt 6speed red 107,000 miles, that was drivin by a 50 year old lady till the day I got it

So to start upgrades I will be doing this summer, Please give me your advice on any of the items that I have picked if you think somethings a bad choice or if you think something would be a better buy let me know. Thanks in advance!

Turbo- Stock tt till I either blow them or get outta college(max 18 psi used on high setting so hopefully they will last a while)
Engine-new cams- unorthodox, or greddy
-Greddy Bcc
-Greddy Boost controller or ecu tune(stock ecu)
Exhaust- HKS Hi-Power, Rod Millen downpipe, egr block off
Wheels-stock till next spring http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...bFolderId=2107
Intercooler-HKS Type S, Till I get a bigger turbo, then the Greddy 3 row(reason behind this is I will be using the car more as a daily driver till I get out of college, and I dont wanna spend 1500+ on a polished amazing fmic and have it get chips and dings, once outta college this will be in a garage every night, and I will have a new car as my dd, so as of now it sits in the college parking garage at night and in bad weather, where staff park)
Intake-stock http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...213&SearchYN=N (the max flow intake)
Blow off valve-hks ssqv
15% tint all around, except for front, no stripe.
Replace front seats- Sparco black, with red trim(probably summer 2011)

If you have any other bpu mods let me know or any ideas on what I could benefit from but that does not cost a fortune, so no block rebuilds or anything. I have about 5g to spend, and I will have another 10g next spring, so thats when I will get the new wheels. (Then stock market after that) No body kits, not my style, like to keep it relatively stock. Thanks again

Last edited by mrgdm007; 05-09-2010 at 10:50 PM.
mrgdm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgdm007 View Post
Ok so I have a 94 stock supra tt 6speed red 107,000 miles...
6spd or auto?
Quote:
...Turbo- Stock tt till I either blow them or get outta college(max 18 psi used on high setting so hopefully they will last a while)...
18psi? Hopefully you plan to run that much boost with some race fuel in your tank. Also, I'm not sure what you mean "so they last a while". If you want them to "last a while", keep them at stock boost levels. Seriously! You won't get 200,000 miles out of a set of oem twins if you're always running them at 18psi. In fact, with 100K on them already, you'll be lucky if they last a more than a year if you're always running them that hard.
Quote:
...Engine-new cams- unorthodox, or greddy...
"New cams"? Do you mean cam gears? ...and at what setting do you plan to run them?
Quote:
...-Greddy Bcc
-Greddy Boost controller or ecu tune(stock ecu)...
It's very expensive to tune the stock ecu (over $1000 to install the daughterboard).
Quote:
...Exhaust- HKS Hi-Power, Rod Millen downpipe, egr block off...
EGR block-off could impact your Supra's ability to pass emissions.
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend 19s on the rear. You want as much rubber as possible to hold the additional horsepower. A better setup is 19s (or whatever) on the fronts and 18s or 17s on the rear - and ensure the rear rim width is at least 11" so you can run 315s. That MVP rim setup you linked to is only good for an n/a or if you're keeping everything else bone-stock on your TT. To me it's a bit of a goofy setup because the front rims are wider than stock, but the rear rims are the same as stock. When you increase horsepower (i.e. 'bpu'), you need proportionally wider tires in the rear to hold the horsepower. Wider front rims help with cornering, but if you only increase the front rim width, you increase the tendancy to oversteer. *shrug* Oh, and note that with a 19" diameter rear wheel and enough sidewall to hold traction, you may have rubbing issues in your rear fenderwell. Do not run a low-profile rear tire or you'll just sit there and spin at bpu horsepower levels. I guess in summary I'm saying the rims at that link are a bad choice. If you're doing it just to make your Supra more pretty, then that's up to you. If you want raw function, check this out:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ned/index.html
Quote:
...Intercooler-HKS Type S, Till I get a bigger turbo, then the Greddy 3 row(reason behind this is I will be using the car more as a daily driver till I get out of college, and I dont wanna spend 1500+ on a polished amazing fmic and have it get chips and dings, once outta college this will be in a garage every night, and I will have a new car as my dd, so as of now it sits in the college parking garage at night and in bad weather, where staff park)
Intake-stock(maybe get custom CAI built)...
Please post a link to "custom CAI built"...
Quote:
...Blow off valve-hks ssqv
15% tint all around, except for front, no stripe.
Replace front seats- Sparco black, with red trim(probably summer 2011)

If you have any other bpu mods let me know or any ideas on what I could benefit from but that does not cost a fortune, so no block rebuilds or anything. I have about 5g to spend, and I will have another 10g next spring, so thats when I will get the new wheels. (Then stock market after that) No body kits, not my style, like to keep it relatively stock. Thanks again
You'll also need a boost gauge.

Again, don't forget to run race fuel if you're going to be pushing 18psi.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-08-2010 at 05:35 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
mrgdm007
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
6spd or auto?
18psi? Hopefully you plan to run that much boost with some race fuel in your tank. Also, I'm not sure what you mean "so they last a while". If you want them to "last a while", keep them at stock boost levels. Seriously! You won't get 200,000 miles out of a set of oem twins if you're always running them at 18psi. In fact, with 100K on them already, you'll be lucky if they last a more than a year if you're always running them that hard.
"New cams"? Do you mean cam gears? ...and at what setting do you plan to run them?
It's very expensive to tune the stock ecu (over $1000 to install the daughterboard).
EGR block-off could impact your Supra's ability to pass emissions.
I wouldn't recommend 19s on the rear. You want as much rubber as possible to hold the additional horsepower. A better setup is 19s (or whatever) on the fronts and 18s or 17s on the rear - and ensure the rear rim width is at least 11" so you can run 315s. That MVP rim setup you linked to is only good for an n/a or if you're keeping everything else bone-stock on your TT. To me it's a bit of a goofy setup because the front rims are wider than stock, but the rear rims are the same as stock. When you increase horsepower (i.e. 'bpu'), you need proportionally wider tires in the rear to hold the horsepower. Wider front rims help with cornering, but if you only increase the front rim width, you increase the tendancy to oversteer. *shrug* Oh, and note that with a 19" diameter rear wheel and enough sidewall to hold traction, you may have rubbing issues in your rear fenderwell. Do not run a low-profile rear tire or you'll just sit there and spin at bpu horsepower levels. I guess in summary I'm saying the rims at that link are a bad choice. If you're doing it just to make your Supra more pretty, then that's up to you. If you want raw function, check this out:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ned/index.html
Please post a link to "custom CAI built"...
You'll also need a boost gauge.

Again, don't forget to run race fuel if you're going to be pushing 18psi.
Yea 18 psi race fuel only, thats why I would like a boost controller to have a low and high setting to adjust it, I was thinking about having 14 or 15 on low(good or bad)

Thank you very much on the wheel insight that helps alot

Cam Gears is what I meant, and on the degree, I would have a shop tune it

Dont have to worry about emissions here! I guess unless I get pulled over, im in oklahoma

For the CAI, I dont have a link, but from what Ive read, and I think it was from you, I want to stay way from sucking in the hot air from the engine bay, so either keep the stock intake or _______(what are your suggestions)

In general most of the time it would be kept max between 3000 and 3500 when shifting gears, The only time I would be pushing the turbos is when the boxer S or 370z pulls up next to me , so would you think 15 would be a good boost level on pump gas? And I will be replacing the turbos within 30,000 miles, next 4 years, I will have the money by the end of the year, but I like not spending it if I have to and just get what I can outta the stock tt
Old 05-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
mrgdm007
Intake

I also added a link to an aftermarket intake on the first post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I also added a link to an aftermarket intake on the first post
Ideal for the oem twins would be the max air box with this air filter: "K&N Extreme Filter for 1993-98 Supra Twin Turbo"

Quote:
...so would you think 15 would be a good boost level on pump gas?...
Can you get 93 octane in Oklahoma? If so, then imo yes 15psi should be 'safe'.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-10-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #6
mrgdm007
Intake

Ive been looking for 93 octane places around here and havent found any yet, but Il keep searching, what would be a good psi for 91 other wise il just go out to the race way ever two weeks and bring a 5 gallon can with me lol

And I was looking at more wheels and took your advice, Il probably just do 18's what would be a good wheel width and tire size and width
Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ive been looking for 93 octane places around here and havent found any yet, but Il keep searching, what would be a good psi for 91 other wise il just go out to the race way ever two weeks and bring a 5 gallon can with me lol

And I was looking at more wheels and took your advice, Il probably just do 18's what would be a good wheel width and tire size and width
I'd guess 14psi max with 91 octane.

With 18s I'd suggest you get rims 2" wider than stock, on both the front and the rear. That would give you 10" wide rims up front, and 11.5" wide rims in the rear. Before doing this however, be sure you can get either 305 or 315 width rubber in an 18" diameter for the rear...preferrably 35 profile. 245s or 255s up front would work fine.

Tags
bpu, mods, performance, stock, upgrades