Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
someguyk
Stock

someguyk is on a distinguished road
Talking New and wanting to buy!

First of all, im new to the forums and hope to soon be a owner of a 94 TT! I have been browsing the site and have found some info, but nothing that really answers my questions.

1. You all think this car is worth it?? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/1400399244.html

2. The cars is automatic and the guy selling it says its only pushing 420whp at the moment. I want alil more power..like 550whp. What amount of power can this tranny handle, till i need a th400/sp400? If i do pick the car up i wanna do the trans cooler w/ spal fan.

3. Did some research on insurance costs, i got quoted 150monthly or 750 for six months. This alot for this car? i didnt even include my minor traffic infractions.

Thanks in advance! Hope to own one of these beauty's!
someguyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
RZ-rix
Stock

RZ-rix is on a distinguished road
Default 94 Supra

Looks like a great Supra , but its hard to tell from pictures , make sure you read the info on how to buy a Supra , do as much research as you can, also make sure you can get some history on this Supra or any others, like accidents and such. Good Luck.
RZ-rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
someguyk
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ-rix View Post
Looks like a great Supra , but its hard to tell from pictures , make sure you read the info on how to buy a Supra , do as much research as you can, also make sure you can get some history on this Supra or any others, like accidents and such. Good Luck.
Thanks! I'm checking out the car this weekend, i plan on grabbing the vin and doing a carfax report. I'll do some more reading on the site about buying one.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyk View Post
First of all, im new to the forums and hope to soon be a owner of a 94 TT! I have been browsing the site and have found some info, but nothing that really answers my questions.

1. You all think this car is worth it?? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/1400399244.html

2. The cars is automatic and the guy selling it says its only pushing 420whp at the moment. I want alil more power..like 550whp. What amount of power can this tranny handle, till i need a th400/sp400? If i do pick the car up i wanna do the trans cooler w/ spal fan.

3. Did some research on insurance costs, i got quoted 150monthly or 750 for six months. This alot for this car? i didnt even include my minor traffic infractions.

Thanks in advance! Hope to own one of these beauty's!
With the AEM, you have to be careful - it might be tuned great, or it might be tuned horribly...you just never know.
He doesn't mention the size of the single turbo. 420whp is a terribly low figure for a single turbo Mkiv 2jz-gte.
The oem TT auto can handle about 500rwhp reliably, depending on a lot of factors like how hard you drive it and how wide your rear rims & tires are.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
86.5supra
3" Exhaust

86.5supra is on a distinguished road

First off that is an amazing price for that car especially for Hawaii (I cant imagine there are many over there on the island). Just check the service records and who tuned the AEM computer. Make sure to check the body gaps and panels to make sure they match. There are alot of MKIV out there that have been pieced together.
86.5supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
someguyk
Stock

Just want to let everyone know that upon close inspection of the vehicle that its DOODOO!! It's been repainted a dark blue, which is nice, but theres red streaks of the original paint all over the body, under the hood, and door handles. The fiberglass body kit is coming apart, leaking oil out of the rear main seal, seats and interior are nasty! PLUS the turbo is TINY, there's a boost controller, but its not hooked up, oil all over the timing belt and under the hood is filthy! So much for him saying thats it's in "excellent conditon" , i would at best place this in fair...and worst of all on the title it says something about not actual mileage. Guess ill just keep looking around, and hopefully find one and in 6mt!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Just want to let everyone know that upon close inspection of the vehicle that its DOODOO!! It's been repainted a dark blue, which is nice, but theres red streaks of the original paint all over the body, under the hood, and door handles. The fiberglass body kit is coming apart, leaking oil out of the rear main seal, seats and interior are nasty! PLUS the turbo is TINY, there's a boost controller, but its not hooked up, oil all over the timing belt and under the hood is filthy! So much for him saying thats it's in "excellent conditon" , i would at best place this in fair...and worst of all on the title it says something about not actual mileage. Guess ill just keep looking around, and hopefully find one and in 6mt!
Sorry to hear that.

If you don't mind me saying so, I knew something was up with the turbo when they only quoted 420rwhp...

Btw, if you're going to drag race it, you want an auto (not a tt). I'm not sure what you're planning to do with the car, so it's hard to advise you...

Lastly, note that the rear main seal is pretty easy to fix (relatively speaking).

Good luck with your search...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-25-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #8
someguyk
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Sorry to hear that.

If you don't mind me saying so, I knew something was up with the turbo when they only quoted 420rwhp...

Btw, if you're going to drag race it, you want an auto (not a tt). I'm not sure what you're planning to do with the car, so it's hard to advise you...

Lastly, note that the rear main seal is pretty easy to fix (relatively speaking).

Good luck with your search...

It's ok, ill find a better one. My plans for the car are up in the air at the moment, there's no track here anymore it got closed down, guess they prefer people racing on the streets. Second i am leaving soon for the military so im not sure where ill be at. But, I still want a supra for the reason's most people have them, their sexy, fast, rare, collectable, beautiful, and did i mention fast? lol. Regarding the rear main seal, i thought u had to drop the tranny to replace it, cuz its on the back of the motor at the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts up too. OR am i wrong??

But I am still searching for the Supra thats calling my name!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
It's ok, ill find a better one. My plans for the car are up in the air at the moment, there's no track here anymore it got closed down, guess they prefer people racing on the streets. Second i am leaving soon for the military so im not sure where ill be at. But, I still want a supra for the reason's most people have them, their sexy, fast, rare, collectable, beautiful, and did i mention fast? lol. Regarding the rear main seal, i thought u had to drop the tranny to replace it, cuz its on the back of the motor at the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts up too. OR am i wrong??

But I am still searching for the Supra thats calling my name!
Yep, you have to drop the tranny to change the rear main seal, but (relative to some other tough jobs in the engine - eg. valve stem seals) dropping the tranny isn't that hard. The whole job can be done in about four hours with a lift, two guys and the right tools. Changing the clutch was the first job I did myself on my MK4. Here's a tech article that tells you how, step-by-step:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/clutch/index.html

Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
someguyk
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Yep, you have to drop the tranny to change the rear main seal, but (relative to some other tough jobs in the engine - eg. valve stem seals) dropping the tranny isn't that hard. The whole job can be done in about four hours with a lift, two guys and the right tools. Changing the clutch was the first job I did myself on my MK4. Here's a tech article that tells you how, step-by-step:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/clutch/index.html
I appreciate the info, hopefully I can put it too use if and when I do get a Supra...one can only hope its soon..