Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 PM   #71
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglatta
So you're saying that a 600hp could put the new corvette to shame? I would love to differ the suspension would have to change the chassis and 600 of hp from turbo is no where as nice as 500 from n/a pure displacement
At the very least 600hp, together with a lightweight hydro-formed chassis, would make the MKV Supra Turbo competitive with the C6 Z06. Imho, there's nothing wrong with the current structure/geometry of the jza80's double-wishbone suspension; add a set of Moton/Penske/Ohlin coilovers (perhaps as a factory option, like the fluid definition of a 'stock' Viper ACR), and it's more than sufficient. Niceties aside, and all else being equal/similar (weight, rubber, etc.), horsepower wins races...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-14-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 AM   #72
Greglatta
Intake

Greglatta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
At the very least 600hp, together with a lightweight hydro-formed chassis, would make the MKV Supra Turbo competitive with the C6 Z06. Imho, there's nothing wrong with the current structure/geometry of the jza80's double-wishbone suspension; add a set of Moton/Penske/Ohlin coilovers (perhaps as a factory option?), and it's more than sufficient. Niceties aside, and all else being equal/similar (weight, rubber, etc.), horsepower wins races...
N/A is better horsepower then turbo, no turbo lag
Old 02-14-2006, 02:36 AM   #73
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
N/A is better horsepower then turbo, no turbo lag
Yes, but who races in the lag portion of the rpm band? Answer: Nobody, ever.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:42 AM   #74
Greglatta
Intake

Quote:
Yes, but who races in the lag portion of the rpm band? Answer: Nobody, ever.
have fun always running your turbo engine at 7k goodluck with a long track and reliability.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:55 PM   #75
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
have fun always running your turbo engine at 7k goodluck with a long track and reliability.
  1. You don't need a turbo that spools at 7k to make 600hp.
  2. In an earlier post, I specified a bigger set of sequential twins...which means that boost would begin to hit by about 3k.
  3. 7k is a walk in the park for the 2jz-gte ... many apu mkiv owners (myself included) spin it past 8500 regularly (some as high as 10K), with no issues. You may already know that an I6 is inherently balanced (unlike a v8 configuration engine).
  4. Among all of the things the 2jz-gte has been criticized for (unjustly for the most part, imo), a lack of reliability has never been one of them.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-14-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #76
93VR4nPHILLY
Stock

93VR4nPHILLY is on a distinguished road

Hello! Newb here, to chime in... In stock form, i'd be inclined to give the edge to the SVT in the 1/4 mile, but it could also be a driver's race. Being RWD, both the Supra and the Cobra probably fall back to the VR4 from a dig, but the AWD drivetrain costs a VR4 about a 30% HP loss to the wheels from a substantial roll. This is why they tend to trap lower IMO, and I feel in stock form, the VR4 would be the slowest of the 3. (3,800 lbs doesn't help much)

I'd give the edge to the MKIV from a roll, and total top end, over the stock Cobra. Both the MKIV and the SVT take to mod's greedily. The SVT is prolly cheaper to mod though. It can go either way...add a big single and a few other goodies to an MKIV, and it may not win in the 1/4, (without a shot of NOS to spool it) but it will rape most SVT's from a roll, and way up top.

As for the new ZO6...that's a bad ass car. I believe the magz ran a mid 11 with it in stock form, with the WHP being like 459. Stock on stock, The Z06 wins. Modded, it depends. Unless the z06 has LF heads, and either a SC or turbo/s, I can't see it beating a big single MKIV up top. Keep in mind, the displacement factor too....Those who bitch about the Supra being a turbo, and the Z06 being NA, it SHOULDN'T be a legit gripe, being as the Supra has less displacement to start with.

I'll end by saying: They are all neat cars, and I am not biased. I like all fast cars, and to each indivdual owner, their car is unique for it's own reasons. Be safe, and keep the great posts/information coming!
Old 02-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #77
Greglatta
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VR4nPHILLY
Hello! Newb here, to chime in... In stock form, i'd be inclined to give the edge to the SVT in the 1/4 mile, but it could also be a driver's race. Being RWD, both the Supra and the Cobra probably fall back to the VR4 from a dig, but the AWD drivetrain costs a VR4 about a 30% HP loss to the wheels from a substantial roll. This is why they tend to trap lower IMO, and I feel in stock form, the VR4 would be the slowest of the 3. (3,800 lbs doesn't help much)

I'd give the edge to the MKIV from a roll, and total top end, over the stock Cobra. Both the MKIV and the SVT take to mod's greedily. The SVT is prolly cheaper to mod though. It can go either way...add a big single and a few other goodies to an MKIV, and it may not win in the 1/4, (without a shot of NOS to spool it) but it will rape most SVT's from a roll, and way up top.

As for the new ZO6...that's a bad ass car. I believe the magz ran a mid 11 with it in stock form, with the WHP being like 459. Stock on stock, The Z06 wins. Modded, it depends. Unless the z06 has LF heads, and either a SC or turbo/s, I can't see it beating a big single MKIV up top. Keep in mind, the displacement factor too....Those who bitch about the Supra being a turbo, and the Z06 being NA, it SHOULDN'T be a legit gripe, being as the Supra has less displacement to start with.

I'll end by saying: They are all neat cars, and I am not biased. I like all fast cars, and to each indivdual owner, their car is unique for it's own reasons. Be safe, and keep the great posts/information coming!
dont confuse mine and pw's convo about na to turbo power, we werent saying that cause the supra has a turbo its unfair to compare i mean look at displacement 3.0-7.0 obvious difference
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #78
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
dont confuse mine and pw's convo about na to turbo power, we werent saying that cause the supra has a turbo its unfair to compare i mean look at displacement 3.0-7.0 obvious difference
Yes, and when an APU MkIV Supra runs 29+psi of boost, it's a virtual 9.0+L. I agree the comparison is unfair.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-17-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #79
93VR4nPHILLY
Stock

93VR4nPHILLY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, and when an APU MkIV Supra runs 29+psi of boost, it's a virtual 9.0+L. I agree the comparison is unfair.
This is a valid point, I guess. But I often hear people complain (usually NA domestic guys) that forced induction or "power adders" are unfair advantages when comparing a NA & a blown car of lesser displacement. To me, fast is fast...period! Doesn't really matter how you get there, just how fast you get there.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #80
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
This is a valid point, I guess. But I often hear people complain (usually NA domestic guys) that forced induction or "power adders" are unfair advantages when comparing a NA & a blown car of lesser displacement...
Whiners...

Quote:
...To me, fast is fast...period! Doesn't really matter how you get there, just how fast you get there.
Agreed!

Closed Thread