Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 02-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #1
twiztid
Stock

twiztid is on a distinguished road
Default HELP i think i fried something in my engine

My brother was jump starting the 1993 supra tt and put the positve on the negative side and vice versa. I blew everything. Now we cant figure what it damaged. Anybody ever heard of that happing and what did they damage. Its been down for awhile now. we havent got around in trying to figure it out. Please help
twiztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
supraman911
Stock

supraman911 is on a distinguished road

I dont have the answer but I just want to say I'm sorry for ya
4.Mazda RX-7
5.Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X Ralliart
LOVE these CARS
!
supraman911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztid View Post
My brother was jump starting the 1993 supra tt and put the positve on the negative side and vice versa. I blew everything. Now we cant figure what it damaged. Anybody ever heard of that happing and what did they damage. Its been down for awhile now. we havent got around in trying to figure it out. Please help
No biggie. The main fuse in your fuse box is blown. It's at the front corner, closest to the engine, with a clear cover. Toyota is the only place to get a new one, afaik.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-03-2009 at 11:54 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
twiztid
Stock

Default we check that fuse with clear cover and replaced it

We replaced that fuse but we still are not able to start the car. what other things could we check.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
We replaced that fuse but we still are not able to start the car. what other things could we check.
I've had this happen before, and replacing that fuse fixed the problem. If you can, please post a digital pic of the fuse you replaced. It should look just like this (edited) picture that I've attached...right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1825  

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
twiztid
Stock

Default ok I check that fuse and its not it

I switch that one out originally. Would it be possible that the igniter got fried. i believe its the little black box right above the fuse box.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I switch that one out originally. Would it be possible that the igniter got fried. i believe its the little black box right above the fuse box.
Extremely doubtful, but if you've already replaced the fuse I indicated and things still don't work, then I guess anything's possible at this point. Before you buy a new ignitor, I'd find another MKIV Supra TT in town with a firendly owner that will allow you to swap his in to try it. I'm telling you though, it's more likely to be something VERY basic, since that fuse is supposed to blow (and that's the only thing that's supposed to happen) when you put the battery cables on backwards. After you replaced that fuse, did anything at all happen differently? For example, do any lights come on now, even if it still doesn't start? If possible, post a video online (via youtube, etc.) with you trying to start your Mkiv in its current state - be sure to get a closeup of the engine bay and the dash. It's tough to diagnose & troubleshoot problems like this remotely, but I'm willing if you are.

Last edited by pwpanas; 02-06-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #8
twiztid
Stock

Default thanks for all your help

Well when we jump start it because the battery is dead the lights come on it cranks over and you can smell fuel. we did the self dianostic check awhile back and the code came up as fuel pump. i will run the code check again or i will have my brother do it on sunday. Its his car im just trying to help him out. I feel bad for the car because its sitting there collecting dust.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 AM   #9
twiztid
Stock

Default one more question

could and igniter from a non turbo mkIV work?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
could and igniter from a non turbo mkIV work?
Unfortunately, no.