Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Syris
3" Exhaust

Syris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedoff00
From what I have research, na cams in your 7m-gte are good for a few ft/lbs and even some horse power, but they wont withstand the abuse if you are running alot of boost or are aiming to hit high numbers, ie. over 300-350 horse. So if you are pretty much stock, then you will probably notice a nice increase, if you are looking for a reliable high horse power build stay away. Also make sure the cams are in good shape or you might risk jacking your valves as well as you guides, that could get pricey...
Cams dont add air, or fuel, so please tell how you are going gain few a ft/lbs or HP?.They adjust as to the amount of air and fuel to allow the power to be increased within the powerband, but with that lost in another area of that same exact powerband.

Basically in Lamens terms: Turbo cams allow more top end power, NA cams are more for the Low end to make up for not having a turbo.....Now with that in mind, you take the Intake cam from the NA that is the going to make the powerband in the lower RPMS, and put that in the Turbo.

What is your result?
You are sacrificing some of the Top end power that you had originally from the turbo intake cam but you will get the difference of the NA cam to come into play in the Lower RPMs of the powerband.
Syris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
supraman121
12psi boost

supraman121 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syris
Cams dont add air, or fuel, so please tell how you are going gain few a ft/lbs or HP?.They adjust as to the amount of air and fuel to allow the power to be increased within the powerband, but with that lost in another area of that same exact powerband.

Basically in Lamens terms: Turbo cams allow more top end power, NA cams are more for the Low end to make up for not having a turbo.....Now with that in mind, you take the Intake cam from the NA that is the going to make the powerband in the lower RPMS, and put that in the Turbo.

What is your result?
You are sacrificing some of the Top end power that you had originally from the turbo intake cam but you will get the difference of the NA cam to come into play in the Lower RPMs of the powerband.
When the vavles stay open longer they should let more fuel/air in causing a greater explosion creating more hp/toruqe

Quote:
From what I have research, na cams in your 7m-gte are good for a few ft/lbs and even some horse power, but they wont withstand the abuse if you are running alot of boost or are aiming to hit high numbers, ie. over 300-350 horse. So if you are pretty much stock, then you will probably notice a nice increase, if you are looking for a reliable high horse power build stay away. Also make sure the cams are in good shape or you might risk jacking your valves as well as you guides, that could get pricey...
Why wouldnt they? There not forged or anything like that, there made out of the same exact thing as the turbo cams.

But if i was going to replace my cams, i would do it with some racing cams instead of the na cams, Like from here http://www.suprastore.com/brcr7mca.html
Probly alot better then the na cams.

www.myspace.com/coreyjstevens

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1536317037 <------ this one should work check out the accident one aswell ya i might be a "fat kid" but i sure can move fast!~
supraman121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
the ghoul
3" Exhaust

the ghoul is on a distinguished road

Well obviously if you would have said what you meant in the first place, instead of trying to be a condescending asshole (I quoted the original post) you wouldn’t have had to edit your post to clarify your position.

Quote:
Well ovbiously if you wouldve read my posts earlier in this thread I already stated what it does on the turbo engine....
the ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
the ghoul
3" Exhaust

Quote:
the Low end to make up for not having a turbo.....
LOL

do tell how turbo lag adds low end power!!!!

Low end power is usually accomplished by higher compression…

The reason turbo engines have little to no lower end is because they are specifically made to keep compression low so you do not get pinging (pre-mature cylinder gas detonation).
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #15
the ghoul
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Thank you very much this is exactly what I was looking for.
It makes sence that the 7mgte and 7mge cams wont hold up to the abuse that an after market cam built specifically for race applacations would.

I was just looking for some thing cheap and easy I could bolt in while doing my head gasket and this looks like just the thing...

Now that the question has been answered, and there is some totaly mindless off-topic banter that adds nothing to the topic....

MODS PLEASE LOCK!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #16
carfanatic89
3" Exhaust

carfanatic89 is on a distinguished road

Another thing you have to think of is if you use different cams you need to make sure the gaps and clearances are the same. I talked to my neighbor who was a toyota master mechanic and he told me that when you buy cams you will have to do alot of work grinding valves and changing the valve caps with shims and measuring with a feeler guage to make the it worth your while. He told me on a overhead cam its alot more difficult than the regular motor because you dont have the hydraulic lifters to make up for the imperfections in the valve length.

carfanatic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #17
the ghoul
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic89
Another thing you have to think of is if you use different cams you need to make sure the gaps and clearances are the same. I talked to my neighbor who was a toyota master mechanic and he told me that when you buy cams you will have to do alot of work grinding valves and changing the valve caps with shims and measuring with a feeler guage to make the it worth your while. He told me on a overhead cam its alot more difficult than the regular motor because you dont have the hydraulic lifters to make up for the imperfections in the valve length.
Thats if the over-all cam profile is larger than the stock one.
The lifter clearences are measured under slack
but yes he is right you do need to re-adjust your clearences to make sure they close properly. In this minor of a profile change it will most likely be within spec.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 AM   #18
Syris
3" Exhaust

Syris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ghoul
LOL

do tell how turbo lag adds low end power!!!!

Low end power is usually accomplished by higher compression…

The reason turbo engines have little to no lower end is because they are specifically made to keep compression low so you do not get pinging (pre-mature cylinder gas detonation).
You answered your own question. I wasnt trying to go into detail as to how an engine works with or without a turbo. I was merely stating the biggest difference between the two 7m's for general clarification as to why there is such the power difference.

Yay!! you understand that having different amounts of compression will result in how an engine will react.

If you can show me how I said Turbo Lag will result in low end power send me a pm otherwise stop being a troll, I was stating information for the cams and you come at me about compression and turbo's.

Last edited by Syris; 09-28-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Syris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 AM   #19
the ghoul
3" Exhaust

No, you were taking a helpful topic and pulling it off track.

Question: Will N/A 7m cams in a turbo engine yield power increase

your answer: cams move around the power band...

I’ve checked your other posts and they are almost all completely useless...

stop posting with irrelevant information just to get your post count up, and jerking it when some one disagrees with you and you sucker them into a flame war..

you are a perfect example of why the whole forum system is breaking down...

I never asked how cams work

or if it is possible to get HP or torque gains from cams.

the only way you could have been less productive here is if you had just said 'search'..

LOL

BTW, I had no Idea being a troll was trying to get legitimate information and not taking any shit from thread jacking little bitches…. Guess I learned something.

Mods please lock this flaming turd of a thread!!

Quote:
You answered your own question. I wasnt trying to go into detail as to how an engine works with or without a turbo. I was merely stating the biggest difference between the two 7m's for general clarification as to why there is such the power difference.

Yay!! you understand that having different amounts of compression will result in how an engine will react.

If you can show me how I said Turbo Lag will result in low end power send me a pm otherwise stop being a troll, I was stating information for the cams and you come at me about compression and turbo's.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:58 AM   #20
Dejvid1785
3" Exhaust

Dejvid1785 is on a distinguished road

I have a set of NA cams in goodshape if anyone is interested. Thanx