Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Cheapest Place For Repair Anyone!?!?!? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/9140-cheapest-place-for-repair-anyone.html)

88Supra86 07-24-2007 10:10 PM

Cheapest Place For Repair Anyone!?!?!?

hey everyone i live in victoria bc canada. anyone know of any cheap repair shops for clutch installation.

i called a couple places and the cheapest i found yet was $740.00 after installation. trying to find somewhere cheap. anyone have any good suggestions.

Supra2NR 07-24-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Supra86
hey everyone i live in victoria bc canada. anyone know of any cheap repair shops for clutch installation.

i called a couple places and the cheapest i found yet was $740.00 after installation. trying to find somewhere cheap. anyone have any good suggestions.

we do the labor for 300-350
too bad ur too far

88Supra86 07-24-2007 11:29 PM

im guessing on your pic there thats where your located... if so i would deffinitly say ya thats far... allthough i could do a road trip ... still drives alright slits from 2nd to 5th gets its not that bad but its not possible for me to roast on the dry pavement. not to menation i gotta do the bearings in the diffy. making weird noise.

ANYWAYS..... i was thinkin on doing the clutch myself.... but i wanna get some good info from you all.... what brand and type of clutch should i get for relatively cheap. and what is a general rough cost of getting the flywheel resurfaced. i want my tranny to be good..

any suggestions?

and what procedures should i do to do this. i been hearing rumours of clutch installing can be a BITCH on these cars.

Supra2NR 07-25-2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

im guessing on your pic there thats where your located... if so i would deffinitly say ya thats far... allthough i could do a road trip ... still drives alright slits from 2nd to 5th gets its not that bad but its not possible for me to roast on the dry pavement. not to menation i gotta do the bearings in the diffy. making weird noise.

ANYWAYS..... i was thinkin on doing the clutch myself.... but i wanna get some good info from you all.... what brand and type of clutch should i get for relatively cheap. and what is a general rough cost of getting the flywheel resurfaced. i want my tranny to be good..

any suggestions?

and what procedures should i do to do this. i been hearing rumours of clutch installing can be a BITCH on these cars.

well, with a good set of tools, like really long extensions for you rachet to reach the top bolts on the tranny, wiggle socket extensions, and a torque wrench, for when yout putting back the clutch on the flywheel,
i torqued all those bolts to avoid, a long cursing, and getting pissed at myself

and a lift , and a tranny jack would be really helpful

88Supra86 07-25-2007 05:00 AM

blah this is going to be very tedious... but i dont think it can be as much as a a problem then an 86 camaro. actually it probably is worse with my luck haha. ok well if im gonna do this i might as well spend some money on a better clutch then the stock clutch any suggestions on a clutch?

Supra2NR 07-25-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

blah this is going to be very tedious... but i dont think it can be as much as a a problem then an 86 camaro. actually it probably is worse with my luck haha. ok well if im gonna do this i might as well spend some money on a better clutch then the stock clutch any suggestions on a clutch?

it all depends on your application,
your still stock right?
a stage1 act clutch should hold you jus fine

but if it was me, i would use a exedy trible carbon clutch
with a heavy pressure plate
and lightweight flywheel

88Supra86 07-25-2007 08:14 PM

hmmm that sounds nice... but how much would that cost to get in canadia dollars lol. and for the tools i have is a mastercraft socket set. with half inch extentions and 1/4 inch not the longest extention bars tho. i also have a torque wrench but no breaker bar. which will cause me tons of problems. and for jackstands... i dont have any so i gotta find something lol. anyways yea... thats my problem at the moment.

but if you can give me a price on the clutch setup your talking about that would be great

supramacist 07-25-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOL
LMMFAO.

This is going to be interesting and I mean that in a positive way.
I'm just going to watch quietly for a moment.

You have all kids of clutch options. If money is no matter..., Kevlar.
If money is a matter. Anything stage 3 is the next stop and if it matters still.
You get the drift.

www.horsepowerfreaks.com

www.thesupraforums.com

Good Luck. I'm Looking forward to this.
Be prepared to be put through the paces and just assume that murphy's law is in full effect until you prove otherwise.

Seriously. FLuck a camaro.
You're in a different breed and a different class.
Enjoy.

Supra2NR 07-25-2007 09:39 PM

I agree with the fluck the camaro comment

But, the triple carbon with the flywheel
Last time I checkd was around 3500 dollars

They use kevlar now? I'm guessing around 5000 for that clutch?

And when I said, really long extension I meant what I said, like something 3ft or longer, cuz its pretty hard to get tools up there,
And u need a pretty big jack, and tall jackstands if your preparing to do this all in the ground, and a few sets of strong hands, cuz I could only imagine how hard it would be without power tools, power tools are your bestfriend when it comes to these type of jobs

Don't get me wrong, it can be done without it, but there's a reason why they invented them

supramacist 07-25-2007 09:53 PM

Good guess man.

5k is the way to the promise land and I can't afford to get there from here.

88Supra86 07-25-2007 11:41 PM

wow clutches can get pretty pricey. but i got about 350 to spend on a clutch. i was told to get a NDN series clutch from 1st stop auto. cuz there pretty reliable. so i heard. but im not to sure i would rather ask a bunch of supra fans what they think is good for 350 or less. and ya for my tools its gonna be a bitch hhaha... might just take it to my dads shop and use there shit there. if he can get me access to it. but i dont think boyd autobody has a car lift :S would have to find out.

but for a clutch i was thinkin something like this ?
http://shop.toyotapartstore.com/buy....t&make_code=TO

supramacist 07-26-2007 12:35 AM

Should be fine. ACT has been around for a minute.

88Supra86 07-27-2007 05:38 PM

uh ok.. good to know..

i also got a pricing for a clutch for 215.00 its called LUK i have never heard of them. are those any good?

i looked at the website says its a new technology or whatever.

www.lukcluth.com

Supra2NR 07-28-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supramacist
Good guess man.

5k is the way to the promise land and I can't afford to get there from here.

yeah cuz i was trying to buy a triple carbon clutch for my car
but i had to settle with a twin-disk clutch
and man oh man, they fight back

and thats one more thing to consider when getting a new clutch
getting high performance clutches like a twin disk or so
is pretty hard on the leg, and engagement point is pretty precise
so daily driving on clutch like that is doable but not preferred