Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

suprabahamut is on a distinguished road
Default replacement engine

I wanted to know if any one has bought a engine of ebay I saw some really good prices and heard both good and bad experiances I figure if I have pay pal if there is a problem I can get my money back with there insurance part of pay pal so if any one with a good or bad experiance please reply
suprabahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

You would be better off. Buying a new block from toyota and building it from the ground up and building it right, than trying to un-fubar some ones pos thrashed engine.

You really have no idea of what you are buying from e bay. Find a reputable dealer or a salvage yard anything other than an e bay engine.

Just buy a .45 and blow your brains out now and leave your wife the cheese.
Find a cressida engine and go that route.

You're buying someones old pita if you buy from e bay.
Check out: www.jasperengines.com

I hope this helps. Spend your money wisely, and do your research to the MAX, 1st.

Someone in this forum actually has a jasper engine. when my na goes out. I may go gte.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
suprabahamut
3" Exhaust

suprabahamut is on a distinguished road

thanks for the web site, do you know any other places I have seen the web site for jazzproparts and osakamotors have you heard about them, and have you ever bought from jasper motors? are they pretty good with getting stuff sent out right and quick
suprabahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

I've heard of osaka but I've never dealt with them. They have good prices though.

You are even better off rebuilding what you have right now. Unless you blew a hole in your block or severely warped your head or block surface, it is the best choice.

Every 7M has the head gasket problem no matter where in the world it was made, Japan, europe, new zealand, they all have the shitty 58 ft/lbs head bolt torque that fails.

So go ahead and buy a JDM 7M or one from Ebay. Just be prepared to overhaul it because there is no such thing as a mint stock 7M, they don't exsist.

Everyone thinks they can just buy another used 7M and bolt it in, which is not the case. When mine finally goes, I will be building the shit out of it with all forged internals. I won't be looking for a JDM or an Ebay motor.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
twerb089
3" Exhaust

twerb089 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks
Every 7M has the head gasket problem no matter where in the world it was made, Japan, europe, new zealand, they all have the shitty 58 ft/lbs head bolt torque that fails.

So go ahead and buy a JDM 7M or one from Ebay. Just be prepared to overhaul it because there is no such thing as a mint stock 7M, they don't exsist.
yea, i bought mine right after the guy before me got it rebuilt. and as soon as i got it i retorqued the head, hopefully that solves that problem
no A/C or P/S, therefore no ac condensor, compressor and no ps pump or resivior.
gutted interior, 4 tweeters, 2 kicker 12"s powered by an MTX 400W 350rms and an audiobahn 400W 300rms
twerb089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

I'll admit it. I have surfed osaka. But only back when I didn't know better.

You just look at there crap and know that it's cheap for all the wrong reasons.
Jdm alone leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
tone loc
20psi boost

tone loc is on a distinguished road

ya i just bought one off ebay and im in the process of taking the engine apart to get it machined. so far everything looks good except the power steering coponents were just bent out of place. other than that everything looks good.
tone loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Kuban
3" Exhaust

Kuban is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprabahamut
thanks for the web site, do you know any other places I have seen the web site for jazzproparts and osakamotors have you heard about them, and have you ever bought from jasper motors? are they pretty good with getting stuff sent out right and quick
I have a jasper engine. Love it. And the warrenty makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Even if you do blow it, they dont even check the engine to see if it was operator error. They will send you a new engine no questions asked and all they want in return is the core. On top of that your 3yr 75k mile warrenty is renewed. . The rep. said if i didnt call them to give them the core, they would just charge me 500$ for the core.
-greddy type S
-greddy profec b
-apexi ride high 7 way adjustables
-eibach springs
-slotted rotors
-mkIV TT rims (front)245/45/17 (rear)285/40/17
-targa
-greddy turbo timer
-egr eliminated
-3" turbo back, no cat, no resonator, Apexi N1 back.
-n/a cams

Theres others ill think of later.
Kuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #9
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Well, I'd have to disagree (for now anyway)... I haven't gotten everything running smoothly yet (my error in connecting vacuum lines, now have a vacuum leak causing some mild revving and stalling), so it's still possible to have problems, but I bought a JDM engine off of eBay. When I finally got it started, the engine itself sounded great. No knocking or anything else, tt just purred.... So I'm kinda stoked about it. The engine cost me $450 bucks, and I picked it up from the warehouse in LA, so I didn't have to ship anything. Also haven't found any fluid leaks from the engine. Only downside is you have to install all of your emissions components and engine accesories (i.e. alternator, power steering pump, water pump, distributor, etc.), so it can be a headache.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #10
plaaya69
12psi boost

plaaya69 is on a distinguished road

I had bought a JDM turbo motor from ebaymotors and I had paid $990 for it shipped and I did and did not like the motor. They said that they do a compression and leak down test but I think that was BS.

The good about my motor-everything looked new, cylinder head had pretty much no wear, you can tell that it had very low miles, sensors was in good condition.

The bad about my motor- motor had a BHG, pitting around the coolant passages and I had to switch some sensors, install the EGR and stuff, switch the throttle body's

but over all I did part out my old turbo motor and I made all of my money back+ some more and now im in the process of rebuilding my JDM motor.