Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Noise Inside Lower Timing Cover (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/8295-noise-inside-lower-timing-cover.html)

mrnickleye 04-25-2007 04:56 AM

Noise Inside Lower Timing Cover

Soooo.....
If you hear a funny little sound (as I did) and you put your stethoscope (or long screwdriver) on there right above the crank pulley, and it is very loud.......

Then likely it is the timing belt crank gear washer that has popped off the gear.
See: Page EM22 in TSRM.

These washers (2) were press fitted at the factory.
The t-belt wants to ride up against the outer one.
Mine came loose, and allowed (for about 10 miles) the t-belt to rub against the timing cover. Since the washer was just 'dancing around', it just made a small worn spot.

I took off the gear, put the washer back in place on the gear, and then welded (wire fed arc) it back on at 4 little spots. Then touched it up with a bench grinder.

I also replaced the oil pump drive shaft seal, $11 at Toyota, #90080-31022, that was seeping.

Put it all back together. Whole job Only took 2 hrs, tops.

But of course I know every nut and bolt as I have had the t-belt off 2x last summer.

I have e;ectric fan, not factory, which makes for a whole bunch of room.

I did NOT have to drop the coolant, or remove the upper hose.

I strongly recommend that when you have the plastic t-belt cover off, you cut it in half across at the line below the 7MGE sign. Sure makes t-belt work easier.

j3pz 04-25-2007 01:41 PM

think you could make a pic of the said cut on the tbelt cover? i was curious about this and im sure it would help others

mrnickleye 04-25-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3pz
think you could make a pic of the said cut on the tbelt cover? i was curious about this and im sure it would help others

Its allback together now. But it was just a small scrape, as the free washer is loose in there, and just dances around lightly against the cover.

That is why it 'sounded' weird, and unlike any belt squeel or bearing I've ever heard.

IHateHacks 04-25-2007 03:16 PM

Mr. Nickleye, I see you are incognito. You are here but you don't show up in the who's online list. Must be one of those mod perks. :)

I think he meant a pic of the upper timing belt cover where you suggest cutting it in half. I personally wouldn't do that because of the fact that sand and crap will get in there and shorten the life of the timing belt tensioner. I'd rather just drop the coolant. But hey, to each his own.

I'm curious as to how the crank timing sprocket came apart like that. It's not really a washer, its a piece of the crank sprocket. Its a washer after it comes apart. I would have just gotten a new crank timing gear. I don't think this is a common problem, do you?

mrnickleye 04-25-2007 03:44 PM

I did order the gear, but it was a 3-4 day wait, and MY cost was $69. I didn't buy it. My whole gear was fine except the washer problem.

The gear is actually 3 pieces. The 2 washers, one on each end, are, during manufacturing, placed on the machined gear, and then a humungus press crimps the gear in about 10 places at the inner edge of the washers to lock them onto the gear.

Next time you have yours off, look really close, and you will see the tiny crimp marks.

It must 'normally' work fine forever, BUT...last summer when my belt broke, shredded actually, it knocked the outer side washer off the gear. I placed it back on and 'peened' it all around with a punch. This only lasted 8 months.

At the time, I did not know the t-belt rides against it so much. With out that washer, the belt wants to ride off the gear about 1/8th in.

On the plastic cover, there are several indented lines across the front. Using a hacksaw, I made the cut in the 3rd line down, immediately below the 7MGE lettering place.

I suppose, to prevent sand and dust getting in there, you could use a piece of vacuum hose slit long-wise and placed over the top edge of the bottom (now middle) cover.

The (now top) cover would be directly against the hose, preventing it from coming off, and sealing the crack.

Or/and you could use some black silicone gasket maker to glue the hose on.

supramacist 04-25-2007 04:28 PM

I hate posts like this. Why couldn't this be posted when I had all of this apart a few days ago. Now I have to wonder if I should take it off and check the nuts.

Or I can think this isn't a nut that is supposed to come off wich we all know is bunk.

I'm not dis'n the thread or anyones post. I'm thinking I should have checked those and I'm a bit upset I didn't. It's easy enough to do so no big deal.

IHateHacks 04-25-2007 04:59 PM

I hear ya supramacist, I didn't even look at my crank timing sprocket, I just took it off and cleaned it up. It slid right off, might I add, I remember that!

But we are talking about the factory crimps holding the "washers" in place. There are no nuts holding it together. It's a one piece assembly that does not, or should not, come apart.

I think Mr. Nickleye's came apart because his timing belt shredded last year and F'd the crank timing sprocket up. Just a thought.

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you unless your timing belt broke while driving it.

supramacist 04-25-2007 07:01 PM

I gotcha. I actually think the belt I replaced was replaced shortly ago it looks pretty damn new to me. I'm going to soak it in palmolive and clean it up and keep it as a spare. I got that you all were talking about the washers.

Who the hell would want to weld that nut on?? No one over an IQ of 85. LOL.

You guys are straight.

IHateHacks 04-26-2007 01:44 AM

Supramacist what is all this talk about nuts? Mr. Nickleye is talking about the crank timing sprocket, not the crank pulley. I think you know this, but I'm just making sure. The crank timing sprocket is cogged and the timing belt rides on it. The crank pulley, well, you know what THAT is. There are no nuts holding any of these on.

He just spot welded the "washer" back on the sprocket. Yes, not the best thing to do, but no need to insult his intelligence with that 85 IQ remark. I'm sure he did a quality job, he is a master ASC mechanic after all, or at least thats what he claims :). I would have just waited and bought a new one, but hey, thats me.

As far as soaking a timing belt in dish soap, thats a big NO NO. Nothing is suppost to get on a timing belt, not even pure water. I would just throw it away, they last a good 60-100K miles if no sand, oil or water gets on them and a new one is only $40 from the dealer anyway. I only pay $29 for new toyota timing belts :)

supramacist 04-26-2007 03:33 AM

Thank you for trying to same page with me. LOL.

I don't know the technical name but the sprocket down inside the timing belt vault that looks like a cam gear. This is the one I thought we were talking about.

I wasn't trying to insult mrnickleye either. If it was taken that way I apologize.

I was saying if some one would have welded a nut on down there.

Your'e messing with me aren't you.......... Were you in the military hack hater?