Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Water in Oil???? HG??? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/8280-water-in-oil-hg.html)

Z'mnypit 04-23-2007 01:26 PM

Water in Oil???? HG???

I recently picked up two 87 tubro supras. One of them runs but supposedly had a blown headgasket. The previous owner said they HG blew and he paid a shop to replace it. He drove the car for a week then he said the HG blew again. So he just parked the car and havent touched it since. Well I bought them and satuday, I charged the battery, started it up and it had a rough idle for a sec then it would idle around 3000rpm. It was smoking white from the exhaust, and smelt like burnt coolant and oil so I assumed it was the HG. Pulled the head sat and the gasket nor the heads show signs of a BHG. Drained the oil and it looked like a yoohoo. It was real milky, so I know coolant was getting in the oil somehow. Which is what scares me. Now, when I went to reomve the head bolts only about two of them were some what tight to where I had to actually use a little effort to break them loose. The rest were really easy to loosin. Does this sound like the problem? Or should I be concerned about the block being cracked?

Also since the head was already worked and the car only lasted a week would ya'll have it rechecked?

Thanks!

OfnaRcR 04-23-2007 02:36 PM

If they were as easy to get off as you said and there are no signs of BHG on the head/gasket then i would just go ahead and buy a new HG and possibly bolts and give her another go.
If you wanted to play it safe just get the head milled and throw on a new gasket and ARP's.
How long did it sit with BHG?

Z'mnypit 04-23-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfnaRcR
If they were as easy to get off as you said and there are no signs of BHG on the head/gasket then i would just go ahead and buy a new HG and possibly bolts and give her another go.
If you wanted to play it safe just get the head milled and throw on a new gasket and ARP's.
How long did it sit with BHG?

Oh I promise you they were that loose. I wish I woulda thought about getting my TQ wrench out and seeing what they were. Where the turbo mounts to the manifold were twice as tight as the head bolt. I hate to have it milled down again if its already been done. The cams and all are still silver so its obvious it was cleaned and checked. I guess im going to check everything with a straight edge then clean the block and head real good and like you said give it another shot.

The car sat for almost a year with the BHG. Not moved, not started until last saturday.

IHateHacks 04-23-2007 04:49 PM

How do the head bolt threads in the block look? Lots of junk/grime? Nice and clean?

What kind of head gasket did you pull off that engine, a metal or stock one?

What kind of head bolts, stock 10mm allen head or 12point ARP's?

Your rod bearings took a beating with all that coolant in the crankcase, I hope it wasn't ran like that for very long.

Z'mnypit 04-23-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateHacks
How do the head bolt threads in the block look? Lots of junk/grime? Nice and clean?

What kind of head gasket did you pull off that engine, a metal or stock one?

What kind of head bolts, stock 10mm allen head or 12point ARP's?

Your rod bearings took a beating with all that coolant in the crankcase, I hope it wasn't ran like that for very long.

Bolt holes look clean, they do have some coolant in them from when I pulled the head. Im going to run a tap through them to clean all the debris out.

It was a stock gasket that was pulled off. I can post pics if needed. I looked and looked over it and I couldnt ever find where it would be messed up.

It was the stock 10mm allen head bolts. It kinda looked as if they were reused after the swap. Cant verify that though.

Yeah I knew the bearings had it rough, Im going to run some oil through it, change it then keep and eye on it. I think they will be fine. If not I already have a 7mgte motor with 84,000 on it I can swap out if needed. Gona run this one till it dies.

I ordered a headgasket kit, and arp studs today so hopefully this weekend I can get it back together and hope for the best. Im not even going to bother with having the head done. Ill clean it up with brake kleen then get all the gasket off of it then check it with a straight edge.

IHateHacks 04-24-2007 01:18 AM

You said in your first post that the previous owner had a shop replace the HG, so that means they torqued the bolts to 58ft/lbs. Even if they did use new dealer head bolts, at 58ft/lbs they will stretch. Because it happened so soon after the first gasket was replaced I'd bet they reused the head bolts. That head gasket didn't blow, it was undertorqued and allowed coolant to flow over/under the gasket. Thats why you can't find the defect in it. It happens to 99% of MK3 supras, head gasket didn't blow out, the head bolts were stretched and allowed coolant to flow over/under it. The other 1% have the actually blown out gasket.

By the way I love your avatar.

Z'mnypit 04-24-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateHacks
You said in your first post that the previous owner had a shop replace the HG, so that means they torqued the bolts to 58ft/lbs. Even if they did use new dealer head bolts, at 58ft/lbs they will stretch. Because it happened so soon after the first gasket was replaced I'd bet they reused the head bolts. That head gasket didn't blow, it was undertorqued and allowed coolant to flow over/under the gasket. Thats why you can't find the defect in it. It happens to 99% of MK3 supras, head gasket didn't blow out, the head bolts were stretched and allowed coolant to flow over/under it. The other 1% have the actually blown out gasket.

By the way I love your avatar.

Thats what Im thinking... Found lots of good news yesterday. The odometer says 199,XXXmi. Well the previous owner had the paperwork from everytime the car had been serviced all the way back to 97. In 1999 toyota rebuilt the entire motor, and the odometer reading on the form says 115,631. So that means this motor only has a little over 80,000mi on it.

Anyways back on subject new gasket kit and ARP studs should be here wed and Ill get back on it and have it back running by the weekend. Hopefully!

lol, at the avatar. My sig, avatar and all I have over on LS1tech so I just copied and pasted everything over here.

Z'mnypit 04-25-2007 04:10 PM

Block surfaced cleaned, head cleaned inside and out. Gaskets arrived yesterday. My arp bolts are suppose to be here today. The head and gasket are waiting for install this afternoon. Hope my new gasket will be alright, a small section on the driverside corner was bent. (Behind the last bolt on driverside) I straightned it back out with a pair of needle nose. It shouldnt leak its on the very edge. Should all be down hill after today. Hopefully fingers crossed!

Stupid question- If the #1 piston is all the way up then its TDC right? Ive been reading about the whole setting timing thing and this dual overhead cam stuff is really confusing.

supramacist 04-25-2007 04:30 PM

Ya I'm shooting for wed. or thurs. to put my head back on.

If your'e really worried about the hg send it back and get another one. But your'e right it sounds like it should be fine.

Good Luck.

Supra_87_mk3 04-25-2007 04:40 PM

if 1 and six or (front and back) are up flush w/ block then it is TDC