Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Still overheating ?1100 later! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/80-still-overheating-1100-later.html)

the dog 10-14-2004 01:59 PM

Im having an absolute nightmare trying to repair my supra 1991. The car was overheating and after changing the head gasket, the thermostat and a cooked piston it is still overheating! Im not a mechanic so I dont know but they are saying that the block must be cracked! Which is fantastic after paying out all the money for the HEAD! The only thing not been changed is the Water Pump but they are adamant that is not the problem. Can anyone help please Im at my wits and financial end with it!! :blink:

THANKS

Rollin mk3 10-14-2004 11:37 PM

Hi, I m sorry to hear that. You know that overheating can be caused by numerous things.
-faulty water pump
-low oil or no oil
-low coolant or old coolant
-bad hoses
-non operating radiator fan
-non working a/c fan (if you use a/c)
The list can go on for a while... My best advise for you is learn about your car, learn about engines, and maybe find a mechanic that you can be friends with!

suprra_girl 10-15-2004 10:14 AM

hey :) welcome to the boards

real bummer on ur engine.. know how you feel... been thru a few things like this too

check to make sure that your clutch fan is working properly... while the car is off spin the fan clockwise... if it turns real easy and does say a full revolution without any resistance i suggest you get another cupling for the fan.. also if the fan has a bit of play in it could also mean the cupling is going

what degree thermostat have you got in it?
what went wrong with the piston?
did you get a toyota head gasket?
what was the head gasket torqued to?
when the car was first run was the heater put on full blat till it warmed up?
does the dash gurgle when you start the car?
is your radiator blocked.. have you had it flushed by a radiator company?
did the mechanic take your engine block & head to the reconditioner and get them both prepped for a new head gasket?
it is very important that both surfaces been absolutely clean and also check that your head is not warped
it is very likely that if your engine had gone to a engine shop they would have found a crack in your block so i think it is safe to assume that your mechanic didn't do this (which they should have)
when we rebuild engines we send the head and block to the reconditioner every time without fail
also it is a good idea to replace your water pump at the same time
does the water bubble out the overflow bottle?
how do you know it is overheating? what are the symptoms?

well there's a start for you... let me know all of these and i shall continue

MA70-1JZ 10-16-2004 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by suprra_girl@Oct 15 2004, 10:14 AM
hey :) welcome to the boards

real bummer on ur engine.. know how you feel... been thru a few things like this too

check to make sure that your clutch fan is working properly... while the car is off spin the fan clockwise... if it turns real easy and does say a full revolution without any resistance i suggest you get another cupling for the fan.. also if the fan has a bit of play in it could also mean the cupling is going

what degree thermostat have you got in it?
what went wrong with the piston?
did you get a toyota head gasket?
what was the head gasket torqued to?
when the car was first run was the heater put on full blat till it warmed up?
does the dash gurgle when you start the car?
is your radiator blocked.. have you had it flushed by a radiator company?
did the mechanic take your engine block & head to the reconditioner and get them both prepped for a new head gasket?
it is very important that both surfaces been absolutely clean and also check that your head is not warped
it is very likely that if your engine had gone to a engine shop they would have found a crack in your block so i think it is safe to assume that your mechanic didn't do this (which they should have)
when we rebuild engines we send the head and block to the reconditioner every time without fail
also it is a good idea to replace your water pump at the same time
does the water bubble out the overflow bottle?
how do you know it is overheating? what are the symptoms?

well there's a start for you... let me know all of these and i shall continue

thats pretty much it.... :D

Kohkelxon 10-16-2004 10:20 AM

I bet supra girl has wheels instead of feet...

GOGS 10-26-2004 10:15 PM

hi
by the sounds of it you havent enough grounds to disagree with someone who says they do?
Blaming a cracked block is ok if they can prove it with the head on.
when ive a head off
1 check for where fault was ie gasket visual fault,if not
2 visual fault on block or head face .
3 straight edge all over head/block using feelers ,
4any doubt get engineering firm to press test head.[more likely to be porus than block]
5 any or all of the above can be caused by circulation probs.
6 to say specific block infers hydro carbons in water ,ie exhaust gasses picked up through coolant emmiting hc reading when you put garage gass tester near resevoir.
7 A good test is to break the inside porceline +electrode out of a plug ,weld an airline end onto it +ensure no 1 cyl both valves shut +connect airline.If a cyl/or head prob exists then this will put air into water :blink:

suprra_girl 10-27-2004 12:52 AM

well i got grounds now LOL
i've been speaking to them over the phone with the mechanics the last week helping them thru the problem... i still maintain it hasn't got a cracked block but nonetheless i have told them to do a block check and a compression check to make sure before we do anything futher... most unfortunately i think the head may have warped again due to the amount they keep overheating it to...

but hopefully i will be hearing from the mechanics soon and we will know for sure ;)