Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Wastegate? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/7235-wastegate.html)

drmmr15 01-12-2007 07:36 AM

FYI - Its a good idea to drain SOME coolant. I pullant the coolant lines off the turbo, and one of them spewed about a quart of coolant through the engine onto the garage floor. :) Should have the turbo off tomorrow.

IHateHacks 01-12-2007 02:53 PM

FYI- I know coolant was going to come out (and so should you). And I said it wouldnt hurt anything, did it?

What did you THINK was going to come out of that hose?

Cooling systems are under pressure at all times running or not running, (unless you have a external leak, BHG, or the radiator cap is off. Even then the force of gravity is acting upon the coolant meaning whatever coolant is above the point of which you are screwing with is exerting pressure).

What's more important your supra or a garage floor?

That's what they make speedy dry/cat litter for.

drmmr15 01-12-2007 07:34 PM

Welp, Imma newb, didn't know. But its all good, not my garage ;) . All I have left is 2 oil lines, and the turbo should be off today. Ill take some pics and try to get them posted tonight or tomorrow. Im pretty sure its the wastegate acutator holding the wastegate open, so once Im sure, Imma order a new one, get new gaskets, clean everything, and put that sucker back on. I just really hope its not a crack in the turbine housing :x:

IHateHacks 01-12-2007 08:10 PM

Good job. We might make a mechanic outta you yet.

Yeah those nuts holding the oil pipe to the block are hell to get at.

Have fun dealing with the parts department at your local toyota dealership.

drmmr15 01-14-2007 02:33 AM

Welp, pulled the turbo out. No pics yet. But I believe the wastegate is actually closed. And there are no noticable cracks in the turbine housing. Im going to take some pics soon, and also may take the turbo into a shop to have 'em look at it. SO, either a) The turbine housing is cracked and leaking, so no boost b) the turbo is fine, but there is a boost leak somewhere in the intercooler and/or intercooler piping c) my exhaust manifold is cracked. Could be other issues, but I am not sure. Ill get the pics on soon, and hopefully solve this problem. I WANT BOOST! :offwall:

IHateHacks 01-14-2007 03:42 AM

You might as well pull the exhaust manifold off and replace that gasket. It's only 7 nuts and 2 bolts holding the "stay" on the bottom. Exhaust manifold gasket is like $13 anyways. You should check to make sure the manifold isn't warped or like you said cracked, the only way will be to pull it off. I bought my car with a horrible exhaust manifold to head leak. Reason was the dope who put it on before I bought the car, stripped the threads on one of the manifold stud holes (the threads in the soft aluminum head). My car only made 3-4 psi of boost with that leak.

I hope you find the problem.

drmmr15 01-15-2007 02:19 AM

Thanks. Yea, Im definitely going to pull the exhuast manifold off and inspect it. I will also definitely replace the gasket. Thanks for all the advice. I hope to find the problem soon. Pics soon. Just need to find a camera :)

drmmr15 01-16-2007 05:59 AM

Still no pics. After inspecting the exhaust manifold and gasket, there doesnt seem to be any problems with it. This leads me to believe that I might have a plugged cat, causing too much backpressure, causing the exhaust to come out somewhere else, and making no boost. Since the dope I bought the car from put on a huge exhaust and welded in the Cat, I cant pull it out to check it. So, Im going to replace all gaskets and bolts, clean everything, and put it back together properly. I am then going to use a plumbers snake to push through the Cat and see if that solves it. Also, how much would a stock exhaust + Cat and downpipe costs to replace that crappy exhaust that I have on? Also, would it hurt to cut off the Cat, weld flanges on it, and bolt it back in like normal, assuming I get a new Cat? The exhaust piping seems fine, but I want to NOT have the Cat welded on. Thanks.

IHateHacks 01-16-2007 03:25 PM

"causing the exhaust to come out somewhere else, and making no boost"

The only thing causing exhaust to come out "somewhere else" and not make boost is an exhaust leak BEFORE the turbo. Would have NOTHING to do with the cat. Plugged cats don't cause exhaust leaks.

Let's review what we know (or what you said). You said you felt and heard an exhaust leak near the turbo, correct? Start there first before you go ripping apart the rest of the exhaust.

Wow that sucks about what that guy did to that exhaust. Did he weld the cat-back onto the cat also? If the cat back is still bolted to the cat (like it should be from the factory) then I would buy a test pipe and aftermarket downpipe. The dealer will rob you blind for a stock cat and downpipe. Would probably run you $700 if not more. If the cat back is welded to the cat then guess you have alot of work to do, buying flanges, cutting, welding, finding gaskets that fit. So much for a direct bolt on exhaust for your car.

drmmr15 01-16-2007 07:07 PM

Yea, the moron welded both sides on. I have heard of a clogged cat stopping boost though, because the backpressure is preventing the turbo from spooling up. I am still concerned with the exhaust leak somewhere too. I think it might be coming out of the crappy weld job the guy did welding the downpipe onto the exhaust pipe. It just shows that cutting corners screws you in the long run. I am also going to take my turbo into an expert to check it out.