Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
newbsupra
3" Exhaust

newbsupra is on a distinguished road
Default Racing.. and stuff.

I have an 87 n/a. Well i was racing the other night, and im fairly new to a standard.. i dont stall or grind gears and such but anyways, i was just wondering what kind of RPM you guys start out at in first before you release the clutch, and how fast do you let it out? then, what kind of rpm do you rev it to before you shift into 2nd, 3rd, etc? i really think im just to worried about reving the car to high. and then i was thinking about installing a short shifter..which im sure you can get? like the one race i tried shifting at about 4500rpm, im not sure what i started off at but the rear tires broke loose and the rear end started sliding into the left lane a bit. it was against sum v6 mustang, i had about 3 car lengths when i started slowing down.

what kind of bolt on parts do you reccomend? Air intake, exhaust.. and what else?

also just curious about removing the A/C.. because the A/C in my car doesnt work anyways, and i can just crank the windows down. how hard is it to do this? and how much weight do you think it drops?
newbsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
suprasforlife
3" Exhaust

suprasforlife is on a distinguished road

If you where 3 lengths in front, I'd say what you did will work, just keep on driving and you'll get better. The red line on your tach is there for a reason, go over it and you've over reved, stay below or at it and your fine. How high you rev when taking off, how fast you let out the clutch, etc all depends on how well your getting the power to the ground. Got good tires and is the suspension good? Clutch and tranny strong? The key is of course not to break the tires loose, when I take off I don't watch the tach at all, just drive and you'll get to know the car and you'll know it by sound what rpm you should be at, it will feel natural like breathing, walking etc. Once you get it, it will be one continuous movement, the clutch release and acceleration will be as smooth as an automatic tranny with at most a little chrip of your tires. I have not put anything on my car yet as I just got it, so I can't recommend anything, just do your research and know what you want it to be and you'll get the right stuff. Personally, and I know it's gonna be a long and costly project with several mods, I'm gonna put a 2jz-gte and a 6 speed in my mk3. Where there is a will there is a way.
As for your AC, depends on if you remove the entire system or just the pump, haven't ever weighed an AC system but I'm guessing the entire system might weigh 40-60 lbs. if that much??? Removing the pump will give you a few more horsepower as it puts less drag on the motor because your not turning the clutch on the pump via the belt. Even when the AC is not on the clutch is still putting drag on the motor.
suprasforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

If you plan on keeping the car forever, and you dont care about EVER having A/C you can take it out. But if you think your ever gonna sell the car I would recommend leaving it in. If you remove it you will be taking away some of the cars value and saleablility, and for what? at best a 1/10th at the track? Nor worth it in my opinion.

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

taking off the a/c is one of the many steps lightening up your car, true

but you only do this like weezl said if your planning to keep your car to yourself

2) if you have another car to drive with

i know a lot of pple that have taken the a/c off thier car, and other stuff , but they all have another set of wheel to get them around on hot summer days

then again it is your car, you know how u use it, do what you think you need, or anything that can improved your car's ability

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #5
newbsupra
3" Exhaust

hmm well, any idea how to fix my A/C.. i guess it would be kind of nice but i really dont mind opening the windows. i also tinted my front signal lights today a 20% black tint so you can still see the signal light day or night. i think it looks great! any of you know of where i can buy a short shifter for my car?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #6
marc
12psi boost

marc is on a distinguished road

ebay..i got a sick short shifter for 90$ took about 20 mins to put in. u remove ur dash assembly and throw that baby on. my shifter now is maybe 3 inches or 4 inches above the boot surround. throw is rediculously reduced. i can shift quick as lightning with it.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
newbsupra
3" Exhaust

sounds sweet does it come with a sweet knob or anything? lol and if you would be able to find the seller for me that would be awesome !
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

you drive an mk3 right??

buy a momo shift knob or any shift knib witouth the tread, take off you center panel,

grab a vice grip plier

twist that black stick that you call a shifter

and poof , put the shift knob in that small stick thats gonna be left behind and you got yourself a shortshifter, costs you about what? 30 bucks for the shiftknob?

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #9
theWeezL
12psi boost

I forgot all about that short shift mod, I think Im gonna try it today.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:29 AM   #10
theWeezL
12psi boost

Did the short shifter mod today and all I gotta say is........SICK! I love the feel of it...its just sick!