Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
noa324
Stock

noa324 is on a distinguished road
Default thinkin about a 1jz

guys im thinkin about switchen to a 1jz. the 7mgte i love but its just to danm unreliable (unless u built the bottom end) i know the motor comes wit 280 hp to the crank. but i have been told its pretty much bullet proof. do u guys have anymore info on the 1jz?????? thanks
noa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noa324
the 7mgte i love but its just to danm unreliable (unless u built the bottom end)
Or just keep your oil filled...

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
tyron
Stock

tyron is on a distinguished road

What supra was the 1JZ in?
thnx
tyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

the 1jzgte 2.5 liter twin turbo came in the JZA70 Supras. Same body as the MkIII's here in America, but the engine was never put into any USDM Supra's, or any car sold in America for that matter. It also came in the Soarer (Lexus SC300 body in America) and a few others in Japan and maybe Europe and Australia too. The only way to get it here in America is to have it imported and installed into a USDM Supra. The best way is to import a front clip (pretty much the entire front half of the car) with the engine and wiring and all the extras needed to do the swap.

The engine is basically the little brother of the 2jzgte 3.0 liter twin turbo that came in the MkIV Supra and is just about as powerful or at least w/ just as much potential (800+HP on stock internals) it has less torque due to it's smaller displacement, but also revs better for the same reason. It will not however pass emissions checks in America due to the lack of much of the emissions control features required by the U.S. Govt.
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
tyron
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyota
the 1jzgte 2.5 liter twin turbo came in the JZA70 Supras. Same body as the MkIII's here in America, but the engine was never put into any USDM Supra's, or any car sold in America for that matter. It also came in the Soarer (Lexus SC300 body in America) and a few others in Japan and maybe Europe and Australia too. The only way to get it here in America is to have it imported and installed into a USDM Supra. The best way is to import a front clip (pretty much the entire front half of the car) with the engine and wiring and all the extras needed to do the swap.

The engine is basically the little brother of the 2jzgte 3.0 liter twin turbo that came in the MkIV Supra and is just about as powerful or at least w/ just as much potential (800+HP on stock internals) it has less torque due to it's smaller displacement, but also revs better for the same reason. It will not however pass emissions checks in America due to the lack of much of the emissions control features required by the U.S. Govt.
Thnx for the awesome right up. The thing is im not in the states im in canada, where we have that law, of a car over 15 years old doesnt have to pass emissions. And i've heard these engines go for around 3-5k? Thats pretty big money. I jus wish that the 7MGTE or GE didnt have that weak spot. How much do you think it would be to build that engine up? thnx very much

thnx
Old 02-24-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
WiseAssJester
3" Exhaust

WiseAssJester is on a distinguished road

By "weak spot" are you refering to the head gasket?

You can change it out for a metal one, in most cases, for a lot less then buying a whole other motor.

Keep it maintained and the motor'll last virtually forever.
WiseAssJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:13 AM   #7
tyron
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseAssJester
By "weak spot" are you refering to the head gasket?

You can change it out for a metal one, in most cases, for a lot less then buying a whole other motor.

Keep it maintained and the motor'll last virtually forever.
I did mean the head gasket problem...sry for not being more informative. Alright I'm still looking at this supra and still havent decided. For a whole new gasket kit do you know how much I am looking at? thnx
Old 03-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
supra_91
Lexus & 550's

supra_91 is on a distinguished road

about $100 to about $125 or so for a MHG

91 N/A automatic supra;K&N FIPK;2.5" custom exhaust;no cat;pacesetter header;eibach springs;tokico "blues";MKIV TT rims
supra_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default My 2 cents.

I am no expert, as a matter of fact, a total newbie to these Toyota engines, but I'm also trying to gather information because I'm N/A automatic, and I want to be turbo/manual.. and I wanna know what to spend money on.

From what I've read, the 7M-GTE has factory flaws, but once corrected, it's reliable. The headgasket seems to be the main problem, so a good one with ARP studs is the first thing to do. I will personally go with a Metal HG, which, to be installed, requires re-surfacing (?) the block and head. I mean, machining.. ya know, making the boarders "clean", with no imperfections, as the metal HG wouldn't seal as well as the stock ones, as it's not flexible. But any experienced shop could do this work and should not screw up. Some people do it themselves, but I wouldn't recommend that (it's a delicate matter darnit!), heh. After that, the engine is said to be very reliable. I asked about the engine's lubrication, as I've heard it's pretty low (the oil preassure), and I was told about some "oil filter relocation kits" that change the oil filter possition, and I _think_ some of the pipings or hoses or something, and then you have a higher PSI reading all the time, which is good. I will do this mod too, as I keep hearing all the time that the lubrication on this engine is poor.

After that, I think there's nothing to worry about. I've also hard that a new, stock HG can be used if you're not planning on going over 300 RWHP.

But if I were you, I'd do what I will do... these motors are OLD.. so, since you're already opening them up (to change HG), check the internals, and see what needs replacement. Yeah, you might spend something, from a couple of hundreds to a thousand, depending on how much of it you need to replace, but heck, a rebuilid (or kinda so) would guarantee even more miles on it without breaing, I believe... =)

As I said, I'm a n00b, so if any experienced person reads this and finds ANYTHING that's inaccurate or just not too smart, please correct me!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
supra_91
Lexus & 550's

supra_91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyron
... And i've heard these engines go for around 3-5k?...
you can get the 1jzgte motor with a manual tran and the ecu wiring harness for $1900 of this one website. i'm don't know how long it will run for though

91 N/A automatic supra;K&N FIPK;2.5" custom exhaust;no cat;pacesetter header;eibach springs;tokico "blues";MKIV TT rims
supra_91 is offline   Reply With Quote