Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #11
supraboy8809
Intake

supraboy8809 is on a distinguished road
Default i was not saying

i was not saying that i wanted to go out onto the road and hold it wide open that is just kind of stupid there is no way that i will hold it out that long o the road but there is only one problem with the dyno thing the closest dyno to my ouse that i know of is about 5 hours away from my house and i do not feel like driving that far to get it dynoed
supraboy8809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #12
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

NO, he didn't mean dips as in speed traps, he meant as in getting airborn. Watch the NASCAR guys. Their cars weigh similar to ours and it takes quite a bit to get them airborn at speeds approaching 180 to 190mph. The biggest problem is traffic and suspension. The car just isn't designed to gothat fast stock. With stiffer springs and shocks, better swaybars and high speed rated tires it will help. My problem is that most guys I see racing, I wouldn't trust to go more than 50 without wondering if they are still under control.

I have been racing dirt track cars for 15 years and autocrossing for almost as many. If you get out of control at either of these places you can correct it and learn how far to push. Anything that upsets the car at highway speeds is going to wreck you at twice that speed if you don't have any skills in knowing how to handle that type of a situation. Plus most of the time when you hear of teenagers getting killed it is because of one thing mainly, not using seatbelts!

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Wink watch out for the other guy

^^^^quote a part....
My problem is that most guys I see racing, I wouldn't trust to go more than 50 without wondering if they are still under control.

LMAO.....yep, been there, done that.

I look at cars everyday (at the shop), and unless the guy has a ton of $$$ invested, these little ricer cars are just pieced together.

So you are gonna pull up beside some fool out on the street, and race him. His car hasn't been inspected, so maybe HE will kill you because of his crappy car, and the fact that he's got no experience racing.

You know, the one that needs a wheel bearing, but it costs too much to fix, so he's saving up, and gonna wait till it breaks all the way.

At least at the track, everybody's car has to meet some safety standards.
AND...there's an ambulance waiting to take you to the hospital.

And...what I mean by 'dips' is the ones in the road that you suddenly come upon, acting like a ramp, sending you airborne.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #14
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

im not trying to prove anyone wrong or nothing. im not saying its not possible, cause anything is possible. i can see a car goin fast, hit a dip, the driver swerving over the road, overcorrect the car and flip over its side. its just difficult to see a car like ours flip nose over ass.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #15
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road

... yea thought it'd take quite a ramp to launch a supra even at close to its top speeds. 140mph just seems a little low to flip through the air even on stock suspension. although i can deffinately see a stock supra ( well anything really ) going sideways at that speed

i'm no pro, so i'll stop correcting ppl. srry.

ps - fyi i did fix my wheel bearing as soon as i noticed it. trying to top out my supra isn't something i do on the way home for kicks or beside a similar fool at 1am. some ppl are just ->

pps - anybody know of a club car going cheap-ish in SI NZealand ?

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #16
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

Unhappy

No, its not gonna catch air and flip backwards. But on a dip, if it gets airborne, the wind will play a role in tipping it sideways, then when it finally hits the ground, the wheels will likely not be lined up straight, then it will cause it to do some flipping and rolling and ...well...you get the picture.

Then, another supra get crushed for scrap.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #17
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

oh all right i see now. if you put in roll instead of flip id not made any noise ok back to the point before i took the thread in another direction, dont do drugs... no that wasnt it...
Old 02-22-2006, 02:25 AM   #18
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

^^^^ not while driving, for sure. Here in Calif, if you get stopped by cops, tested for alcohol or drugs, that's DUI. First offense is some jailtime and $1500. If you are in an accident (even when its not your fault, like they ran the stop sign) and you go to hospital, and they take blood, they will test it, and if there's drugs (like that vicodin you were prescribed for that pain), you will get sited for DUI.

Ops...me bad...I drifted away from topic.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:31 AM   #19
WiseAssJester
3" Exhaust

WiseAssJester is on a distinguished road

A turbo, manual Supra of this generation is quick enough to be fun. Can take most hondas, even some modded(in my stock 7mgte at 190k miles). Though I guess thats not all togather so impressive.

Traction issues are minor, on decent tires. Don't pull up on an STI or SRT4 and expect to walk him, though.
WiseAssJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road

hah ! i smoked a stock honda. by the time he crossed the finish line, i was standing on it. but my legs were pretty tired afterwoods ...
*bud-dom-bom pssssshh*

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote