Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Engine swap to a V-8 (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/257-engine-swap-to-a-v-8-a.html)

Travis89Turbo 08-27-2010 08:47 PM

If u want reliable go jz. There's no question that the 7mgte has some reliabltiy problems which is why I went jz series. U might make it to the low 12s but its gonna take a lot more HP then the jz based on the 300 pound difference in the motors. And its gonna sacrifice an import not a muscle car..there are plenty of cars for u guys to ruin. But why ruin one that has a Toyota engine capable of 900hp with stock internals. Let's see a v8 top that.... now if u were putting in in LS motor then maybe is keep My mouth shut. But u guys are talkin about some of the oldest technology on the road and u dare to call it reliable?? And like I said before A SPORTS CAR IS NOT A POOR MAN'S RIDE.. A jz would run a v8 to the ground at any competition. Especially reliability . Do your research before u start claiming a 60 s design is more reliable then a 90s

Vacationtime247 08-30-2010 09:15 AM

The Supra was sitting in the woods on the Indiana / Kentucky border for 8 years before I got it. Had a 7MGE non turbo with a 5 speed. The previous owner had attempted to dissasemble the 7M in hopes of repairing it. Obviously he never did and sold it to me for $600. Amazingly, there was no rust on it at all and had 86k on the odo when it blew the head gasket. $600 for a cool sports coupe with independent rear suspension, back seats, 16 inch factory rims, 4 wheel disk brakes. Made for the perfect donor car. Can't think of to many other cars out there you can get all those features for that price. Swapping in a 2JZGTE sure would have been nice, but even that requires extensive modifications. Such as the computer, wiring, instal the new motor, tune it, plumb it, etc. Working on the 7M's or 2JZ's is not fun at all IMO.
VT247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo (Post 87303)
If u want reliable go jz. There's no question that the 7mgte has some reliabltiy problems which is why I went jz series. U might make it to the low 12s but its gonna take a lot more HP then the jz based on the 300 pound difference in the motors. And its gonna sacrifice an import not a muscle car..there are plenty of cars for u guys to ruin. But why ruin one that has a Toyota engine capable of 900hp with stock internals. Let's see a v8 top that.... now if u were putting in in LS motor then maybe is keep My mouth shut. But u guys are talkin about some of the oldest technology on the road and u dare to call it reliable?? And like I said before A SPORTS CAR IS NOT A POOR MAN'S RIDE.. A jz would run a v8 to the ground at any competition. Especially reliability . Do your research before u start claiming a 60 s design is more reliable then a 90s

Ranma 08-30-2010 05:52 PM

愚か

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo (Post 87303)

Ick putting a GM engine into a Toyota just sounds WRONG. I am not a big fan of anything made by the Heartbreak of America, today's Government Motors. The head gasket blew probably because it was torqued incorrectly. You will save yourself a world of headaches by putting in a replacement engine or rebuilding the old engine. Nothing on the drive train will work right and there will be weight and balance troubles. So you are looking at a new transmission and probably rear end. The electrical system will not work right, the suspension is wrong. I would not trust a car with a very different engine. The builders went through a lot of effort when they designed theses cars. There will be those things the backyard designer will forget.
Yea you could put a small block Chevy engine into her but the car will not be the same. If you want a GM pony car go out and get an old Camero or Firebird. You can have that "great GM feeling" and it will not bankrupt you.

Vacationtime247 08-30-2010 09:55 PM

It's actually balanced really well. Sure feels tight and not sloppy when I'm driving it. There are no vibrational issues and the 350 Chevy actually weighs LESS than a 7M. The tranny is a 700R4 GM overdrive. I'm using the same suspension set up that came with it originally. Only thing I did change was the 4.33 rear open differential to a more user friendly 3.73 LSD. As far as the electrical. Your right, most of the dash I didn't bother to splice into. But the dash and running lights work. Also have my own set of gauges to monitor the engines vitals (temp, oil, volts). It's really an easy swap to do, I'd like to see more.
VT247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma (Post 87373)
Ick putting a GM engine into a Toyota just sounds WRONG. I am not a big fan of anything made by the Heartbreak of America, today's Government Motors. The head gasket blew probably because it was torqued incorrectly. You will save yourself a world of headaches by putting in a replacement engine or rebuilding the old engine. Nothing on the drive train will work right and there will be weight and balance troubles. So you are looking at a new transmission and probably rear end. The electrical system will not work right, the suspension is wrong. I would not trust a car with a very different engine. The builders went through a lot of effort when they designed theses cars. There will be those things the backyard designer will forget.
Yea you could put a small block Chevy engine into her but the car will not be the same. If you want a GM pony car go out and get an old Camero or Firebird. You can have that "great GM feeling" and it will not bankrupt you.

Ranma 08-30-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 (Post 87383)
It's actually balanced really well. Sure feels tight and not sloppy when I'm driving it. There are no vibrational issues and the 350 Chevy actually weighs LESS than a 7M. The tranny is a 700R4 GM overdrive. I'm using the same suspension set up that came with it originally. Only thing I did change was the 4.33 rear open differential to a more user friendly 3.73 LSD. As far as the electrical. Your right, most of the dash I didn't bother to splice into. But the dash and running lights work. Also have my own set of gauges to monitor the engines vitals (temp, oil, volts). It's really an easy swap to do, I'd like to see more.
VT247

Suppose if it would work at all it would be a small block Chevy V-8. The 350 has to be the most made engine in the world. Before my disappointing 85 Camero and 89 Firebird, I had a 71 Camero with a 350 engine. It was always a joy and ease to work on unlike the newer cars.
What about the other systems? do you have heat and ac? In Oklahoma ac is a requirement unless one is a lizard.
Good Luck with your project and please be careful.

Travis89Turbo 08-31-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vacationtime247 (Post 87383)
VT247

Although I completely disagree with what u did to your car 150% I checked out your video and it looks damn good for basically rapeing the supra. U should wire up the gauges to your dash it would be very simple and make it more complete rather then a hurried look u could use the sensors from the 7m with some adapters. I could get u the plug and probably wire color to do so. but you have to admit a 1jz or a 2jz would run it down with simple bolt ons.. although the swap itself is spendy more so with 2jz cuz it never came in the mkiii the JZ takes very little money to make them CRAZY FAST.

Vacationtime247 08-31-2010 02:40 AM

No A/C. Made to be a racer. Does have heat though. The items that do work are: The gas gauge, the volt gauge, door lights, dash lights, brakes, headlights. Maybe one day I'll wire in the other dash sensors.
VT247

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranma (Post 87384)
Suppose if it would work at all it would be a small block Chevy V-8. The 350 has to be the most made engine in the world. Before my disappointing 85 Camero and 89 Firebird, I had a 71 Camero with a 350 engine. It was always a joy and ease to work on unlike the newer cars.
What about the other systems? do you have heat and ac? In Oklahoma ac is a requirement unless one is a lizard.
Good Luck with your project and please be careful.