Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   88 supra ,shift lock computer (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/20426-88-supra-shift-lock-computer.html)

lynn hargroder 04-09-2012 05:43 PM

'88 MKIII Supra N/A, Starting issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellomynameis (Post 96021)
Hello, I have a 88 supra every time i open the trunk with the key the alarm goes off, the only way to shut it off is by opening driver side door or passenger with the key anybody know what may be cuasing the problem it?, btw this problem started when i removed the battery.

i also have an 88 supra with similar problems with the theft deturent computer malfunctioning....lynn hargroder. it will not let you start car periodically ,and then it will not reset properly

ok,88 supra 7mge, you guys have helped me ,....extract the Theft D Comp.,and grnd . it properly ....i drove car runs great.....same problem tho,sparatically will not allow you to crank car until you reset comp.... i,m now leaning towards it being SHIFT LOCK COMPUTER and its delay (reset)timmer.PLEASE help me to by pass it also. So i can make third trip to Florida Naval Base and p-up my son in our classic TOY.Thank you.........We have reciently dropped in a japan low milage mtr. (did wrk ourselves ,can,t trust so called mechanics that only want to work on new cars)AND i have no complaints runs like a champ.22mpg with your foot in it....Fun car just gotta get bug out,and we do not give up...WE PROTECT THIS HOUSE...USN. IT will be a great trip,after this he will be re-located....too far to drive:nuts::crazy2:Peace out,SPROCKET

in reference to my previous thread about ,supra sparaticaly disabiling starter relay ,having removed the TDC.....and grounding properly.as problem is still existing(car runs great when it,ll let u start it),...I am also wanting to relay info that brake lites LIGHT in dash comes on after u start engine and first tap of breaks....and then stays on.I have dealt with this for 11 yrs now and am ready to resolve problem and make a daily driver of car. Could be shift lock computer in console and now can we bypass it?:crazy2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn hargroder (Post 102159)
in reference to my previous thread about ,supra sparaticaly disabiling starter relay ,having removed the TDC.....and grounding properly.as problem is still existing(car runs great when it,ll let u start it),...I am also wanting to relay info that brake lites LIGHT in dash comes on after u start engine and first tap of breaks....and then stays on.I have dealt with this for 11 yrs now and am ready to resolve problem and make a daily driver of car. Could be shift lock computer in console ,schematic shows it having a timmer,......and now can we bypass it?:crazy2:

also i,m researching key inter lock mechanism,it says that it,ll reset after 1 hour

cre 04-09-2012 06:25 PM

Don't post the same thing in 3 different sub-forums and don't start a new thread to continue an old one unless the topic/situation has changed drastically.

Have you replace the ignition switch and the starter relay yet? Those, the clutch switch or NSW are the only other cut outs present. If the starter cranks but the engine doesn't start none of these are the issue.

The shift lock unit does not affect the starting of the engine in any way.

lynn hargroder 04-09-2012 07:52 PM

mk3

in reply to your responce ,when this occurs spiratically....you turn key switch and all you can hear is the relay at rt.side kick panel click once. I have new battery all terminals marine grade(brass) and starter is not dragging.When it does not act up .....starts without a hitch runs like a bat outta hell.I,m not pullin any codes at trans. or MTR.....Would starter relay click and not complete its circuit? and you are also suggesting replace key cyl.,but all accessories come on,it just won,t let starter engague.THANK YOU for your help,....SPROCKET ,,,YES sir ,is the relay i,m hearing at rt. side kick panel behind ect computer, THE circuit opening relay?And if so is it doing exactly that??IDK

cre 04-09-2012 08:25 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that you replace those components but test them. An ignition switch is a multiple position, multiple throw switch. Just because one circuit is closing doesn't mean they all are.

Just because a relay clicks it doesn't mean it's good... Not at all.

Any of these components may experience intermittent failure.... More often than not heat is a significant contributing factor but it's not an absolute.

MTR? Material Test Report? What does that mean?

lynn hargroder 04-09-2012 10:39 PM

mk3, any sugestions for aftermarket parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 102167)
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that you replace those components but test them. An ignition switch is a multiple position, multiple throw switch. Just because one circuit is closing doesn't mean they all are.

Just because a relay clicks it doesn't mean it's good... Not at all.

Any of these components may experience intermittent failure.... More often than not heat is a significant contributing factor but it's not an absolute.

MTR? Material Test Report? What does that mean?

any suggestions for aftermarket parts..sites....thanks much

lynn hargroder 04-09-2012 11:04 PM

mk3,click

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn hargroder (Post 102169)
any suggestions for aftermarket parts..sites....thanks much

i have accessed more info and it seems as tho starter relay and circuit opening relays are located at rt. side kick panel beside each other ...now how to pinpoint?Sprocket

lynn hargroder 04-09-2012 11:07 PM

mk3,click

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn hargroder (Post 102172)
i have accessed more info and it seems as tho starter relay and circuit opening relays are located at rt. side kick panel beside each other ...now how to pinpoint?Sprocket

at 95$$ ea. i,ll have to get closer to problem.....spent 3,000$$ on power stroke playing guessing games.