Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Project Restore :-D (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/18650-project-restore-d.html)

01010011 02-16-2011 02:42 AM

Project Restore :-D

5 Attachment(s)
:eek2: so i bought my second MKIII since i had to sadly sell the one all of you guys were so nice to help me with i know it sucks. But i was just about living in her and had no choice. So it has been almost 2 years or that have passed and i am starting project restore. ^_^ YAY!!! I went with an N/A Hard top for 500$ this time instead of targa top because i kinda grew tired of targa seal replacement and what not and getting the leaky roof syndrome. >_< So i will post pictures and what not of my general progress as time passes. Hopefully i will have the love and support of all my fellow MKIII owners to cheer me on along the way. I and i apologize for any improper punctuation and or capitalization..

01010011 02-20-2011 07:00 AM

Session 1 of project restore :-D part 1

5 Attachment(s)
:dunno: what a friggin day..for those who are wanting to convert early 80's MKIII tail light from the not to attractive onces to the smooth 3 piece onces i took some pictures of that as well as everything that i did today

01010011 02-20-2011 07:09 AM

Session 1 of project restore :-D part 2

4 Attachment(s)
ok so the picture of me holding the center piece of the 89+ tail lights is for anyone who has an 86-88 body with the non flush tail lights

the object that looks like this

PHP Code:

#                     #         #
===================================== 

there are 3 bolts which hold this to the middle part of the tail lights
for the late 85-88 body in order to make that part fit nicely you have to remove two of those lead screws this is how it should look

PHP Code:

#                       X         X
====================================== 

the x symbolizes the removal of those lead screws which means that little part is only held on by one screw i know it sucks.. but i am coming up with a work around to ensure it does not go any where perhaps gorilla glue..

let me know what you guys think so far ^_^

01010011 02-23-2011 07:22 AM

yay!!!

1 Attachment(s)
my 89+ turbo spoiler came in today :D

cre 02-23-2011 07:35 AM

So what are your plans with this one? Looks like you've got your hands full.... how's the interior?

01010011 02-23-2011 08:23 AM

every Toyota worth driving always deserve's life

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 92719)
So what are your plans with this one? Looks like you've got your hands full.... how's the interior?

its actually not as bad as it looks all Toyota's deserve second or even 1 millionth life.. lol the interior is pretty minty although i did forget to take pictures of it i will eventually some time this week hopefully

as far as the plan im taking out the NA and swapping the gte sanding it down painting it night hawk black and do the 89+ conversion all the way around just did the 3 piece tail lights have the three piece turbo spoiler and im saving to order the 89+ trim package and eventually put the greddy a70 kit on my car leaving the interior red so i have my two favorite color's contrasted black exterior and red interior :D

sad i have no help though lol but for the time being im going to fix the head gasket on the NA GE just to give it life till i have the money to do the swap at the end of my project i will be making it an un official

3.0GT SPEC A supra :-D

please add me and this posting to help encourage along the way

Louis

01010011 02-25-2011 10:58 PM

Session 1 of project restore :-D part 3

5 Attachment(s)
so yeah i finally got my car towed home yay! :D now i can roll out of bed and work on it all i need is a cherry picker engine stand and a GTE :D...
please ignore the spray paint i was testing a black color scheme out :-D

Crop 02-26-2011 01:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
nice project! seems were doing some similar mods to our cars. youve been fitting the 3 piece taillights and ive been removing and refinishing that same prior job, i removed the 3 piece spoiler and filled all the holes (the prior owner molded parts of the spoiler to the body) so i had to fill all those holes too. anyways, i just recently lined up my new bumper, installed the support bracket for it. now i think ill be needing a new intercooler (since it'll be exposed now) ill be painting her a charcoal gray metallic, with black features and carbon fiber thrown in. ill post a few pics.

01010011 03-05-2011 03:43 AM

Code name 'black mamba'

4 Attachment(s)
i would like to thank the krylon spray paint company for existing :-) and walmart for making there paint so cheap 20$ paint job was done today as a temp solution to make my shell look less crappy :-)

cre 03-05-2011 03:55 AM

Way to ruin a good pair of 89+ tails. :(

Did you paint the windows???

Looks good. The only color I like better on a MKIII is gunmetal.

01010011 03-05-2011 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 93080)
Way to ruin a good pair of 89+ tails. :(

Did you paint the windows???

Looks good. The only color I like better on a MKIII is gunmetal.

there not ruined there fully functional if you look at the kouki lights there similar but not solid black more like smoked i had them like this on my last supra alot of people including my self liked it instead of a circle like the popular ones i went with a square..

http://www.tunerzine.com/articles/17...s/_DSC7348.jpg

its commonly done. :-p and no i didnt paint the windows there just dirty

cre 03-05-2011 05:44 AM

Umm... no. JDM lenses are just a cherry red, they're not smoked or blackened. That car has an actual aftermarket COVER... but yes, the underlying lenses are tinted. And I merely think it's a waste.

There's a guy around here who painted his windows with black spray paint... tail lights, head lights and fog lights as well. He painted the side windows and all the lights with LOTS of (crooked) thin lines of black so some light could still get though . :roflwtf: It's a black RX7.

BTW, you mean they're, not there. They're (they are) not over there( a place); They're in their (they possessive) car. ;)

01010011 03-05-2011 05:47 AM

yeah then that lol but still i like the style of my tail lights and i apologize for the miss spelling

cre 03-05-2011 05:57 AM

It bugs me but whatever, you're not asking me for help with your car so spell and punctuate however you like I'll just ignore it if it bugs me. ;) It's your image after all; I mean you can be bothered to learn to spell Japanese slang but can't use a period, capital letter or the right English word? It just blows my mind. No wonder the Japanese and Europeans think we're all ignorant. I'll drop it now... been seeing a lot of this lately and I should just use my ignore list more.

With the tights you'll get little credit from the Supra purist crowd. I think blackouts are too common; I prefer either stock and polished to look like glass or a custom cover or paint/tint job. Did you leave the small retroreflectors unpainted though? That does look odd.

Have you ever seen the rare silver/clear tails which were available in Japan? They're VERY odd. I'll see if I can find a picture.

cre 03-05-2011 06:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a poor photo of the JDM Cherry colored lenses... It's a dark photo so they look a lot darker than they really are. I have a side by side I'm trying to find.

Attachment 3771

Gains taillight cover (painted to match the body).

Attachment 3772

Weird clear/silver JDM aftermarket tails (which make the car look like it backed up over a big fish).

Attachment 3773

Attachment 3774

Sonyps307 03-06-2011 09:42 PM

I love the way the JDM tail lights look. Do u know where to get the covers they look sick painted to match.

cre 03-07-2011 03:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The covers were made in a few different styles by a few different company, but I don't think any of them were sold outside of the Japanese market. Naturally, there have been some imported over time and originals do pop up for sale on the Supra sites and places like eBay. There was someone who had a replica set (the one in that photo I posted is one of those replicas) produced as a part of a group buy I'm not sure who it was but it too may have been KevinM; He's on SupraMania and SupraForums and SM is where the group buy was hosted, IIRC.

Also of note, most will work with pre89 taillights, they fill the indented center piece; Takes mounting with a couple standoffs but may save you the expense of upgrading the tails. There were also some covers made for the pre89 lights, specifically. They're uncommon and I wouldn't count on finding set.

Pretty sure these are a DIY job:
Attachment 3817

These ones look good on a pre89... I think it would look best if you pulled out the yellow turn lens and tinted the reverse light a very light red.
Attachment 3816

This is a style someone suggested in that former group buy... never produced.
Attachment 3815

I have more of others but I'd probably spend the rest of my weekend looking for them, so "that's all folks!" (tm)

01010011 04-09-2011 03:09 AM

Transplant phase 1

Got the replacement 7m today finally few things i've noticed off bad the motor mounts are completely different they look similar to the JZ brackets the harness came with grey plugs and cords cut in a lot of places so i replaced the brackets with the onces from my old 7m as well as a few other transplanted parts so far hopefully tomorrow turns out more successfully..

less than 48 hours to get this going..

btwilson86 04-09-2011 08:26 AM

How do the oil pans compare? Sounds like you may have a later model 7M

01010011 04-11-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btwilson86 (Post 94197)
How do the oil pans compare? Sounds like you may have a later model 7M

Well basically the harness had grey plugs with the green tipped injectors
Different injector connectors tails and few other slight differences with the
Sensors as far as the oil pan I found out last night that also is different
So yet another thing ill have to change before I can drop this motor in
Btw my 7M I received has two throttles in the main location that connects
To the Y pipe and a plate that says Toyota traction control or something to that
Effect slowly but surely getting closer to it being on the road thought.. I apologize
For any bad spelling it's eairly and I'm beat up lol

01010011 04-21-2011 02:51 PM

oki dokie WTF

changed the oil pan and oil pump from the donor 7M got the engine to go smoothly into the chassis and began hooking everything up top to bottom left to right filled all my fluids etc but regardless of how much i check and re check all the wiring and ground when i went to try and light it up the car gets no power to anything what so ever... i've checked the wires try arranging the grounded wires in several different locations but every time i attach the battery to the posi terminal the fuse box makes a clicking noise im assuming thats not a bad thing so i inspect the fuses and non appear to be blown i have no way of testing the head fuse nor the main fuse but when i do this i have a check engine light which is the only thing that comes on nothing else gets power so i put the key in the ignition and try to turn it and it just dings at me ive been working on this thing endlessly so i can have 1 running car please help >_<:eek2::eek2::eek2:

oh and i have 1 plug from the ecu side which is white with two a few cables cant figure out where that goes and engine side i have 2 plugs that i have no idea where those go either one is green with 4 ports inside and one is an orange color with 2 plugs inside here are some pics maybe this is part of my problem??:eek2::eek2::eek2:

Here are some pictures and video

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMAG0036.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMAG0038.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMAG0039.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMAG0040.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMAG0041.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/IMAG0042.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...=VIDEO0016.mp4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...=VIDEO0017.mp4

87hilux7mge 04-21-2011 10:00 PM

well...the clips you show look like a cold start injector clip (red) and a starter connection possibly (blue) :/. the two 7m motors i got had different connections, 1 from an 88 jdm supra and one from a 90 cressida.

u could try and go to sears auto center and see if they are nice enough to print you out a diagram of the ECU wiring from alldata. the full set at my house, but no computer there. if i get it back to town, i can upload them prolly.

basically u just have to trace your wires.. everyone should learn to label wires and tag and bag parts, saves alot of time. i never did for the longest time and was fine without it, until i got two projects goin at once for an extended period of time and then i really got lost.

b4 that tho, i took apart my whole 22r and rebuilt it, no manual, no parts baggies, no labeling, in about 2 weeks. no extra bolts or parts left over, except what i intentionally removed.

with my build, i have EVERYTHING in a well labeled bag and all my wires in the engine bay labeled correctly. as well as the supra and truck manuals always on my bench.

sorry went off on a rant there...neway, check you wiring, u couldve missed a starter connection or have a bad power/ground connection somewhere. make sure your batt is fully charged too.