Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
katoi
Stock

katoi is on a distinguished road
Default just got one

hi all i just got a mk3 with a gte block and a NA head. it was someones project but he gave up on it. 3000 miles ago he did this set up after doing some machine work done on the block and head and installed forged pistons and a cosmetic head gasket.
from what he told me i think he did put in some good work on it but having dealt with humans after a while i dont tend to believe every word that comes from their mouth
the car is pretty crappy because he started taking it a part (body wise) and all pieces are in the trunk but no worry ill enjoy putting them back with a new paint job
anyway has anybody run this setup? am asking coz i have searched every where but i have not seen anything about it
please excuse me coz am fairly new to the performance world and very eager to learn
thanks
katoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Jebus Cristus... PUNCTUATION and SPELLING, PLEASE! That's "apart", "Cometic" (note the capital, the misspelling is understandable), and " 'cause" or "because".... Hi, I'm CRE; Grammar Nazi and general dick. The Comma (,) is right next to the letter M; Just next to the Comma is the Period (.).

If it's a N/A head you'd be well advised to replace the intake cam with a GTE cam; The exhaust cams are the same. You should also inspect the cams and check the valve/shim clearances:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=EM&P=48
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar....aspx?S=EM&P=9

The valve/shim clearance is one of those things which most DIYers take for granted that can have a major impact on the efficiency of the engine.

EDIT: Here's a link to an online version of the Toyota Service and Repair Manual for the '91 Supra: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/ Most of it is accurate for all MKIII years; The wiring varies a bit between years.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
katoi
Stock

katoi is on a distinguished road

lol am sorry CRE i had a very very long day and my question was really bugging me.
so, do you think the setup is feasible if i do everything by the book? the guy who sold me the car, said that he did the setup because na heads flow better
the weather down here is crazy so ill be checking the valves pretty soon
how do i tell the difference between the two intake cams just in case he has already done it?
katoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Unless there is another way, I would say to measure the cam lobes to tell the difference.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=EM&P=48

And I don't think there is a difference between either head gte or ge other than the cam shaft.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

There is no difference in the heads... where's all this coming from I'm seeing it all over the place in the past couple days. There were casting revisions throughout the life of the 7M but the differences account for no measurable change in power. The only difference on the top are the intake cam and the shim/valve clearance specs.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote