Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   87 NA Lemons racer (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/17711-87-na-lemons-racer.html)

carl johansson 09-05-2010 03:16 AM

87 NA Lemons racer

So we took an 86.5 gutted it and turned it into a 24 hours of lemons racer. So far it's been in 6 races totaling over 75 hours of racing time - and we have done nothing other than change the oil, after originally putting in ARP rod bolts.

3 races ago we ended up 4th out of 125 cars in Houston, This time we won our class and were second overall in omaha. For you guys who really think you are the cats meow when it comes to driving/racing - why not prove it - come out to the track and prove just how good you are. It's cheap, and safe, and fun.

But I digress. We lost our LSD a few races back - I figure we need to rebuild it. where are you guys getting the clutch packs, and what are they running (cost wise)

Carl Johansson
JBR racing

btwilson86 09-05-2010 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl johansson (Post 87539)
where are you guys getting the clutch packs

I've been asking the same question... I've spent some time talking to the parts guys at the local Toyota dealer, but that led nowhere... I've looked through the catalogs at my work, no luck there...

I've tried describing to other parts stores what they are and where on the vehicle they're located, but that resulted in some blank stares sent my way...

Generally speaking, proper car knowledge here in MT is almost non-existent.

carl johansson 09-06-2010 03:59 PM

Always an issue with this forum

Yeah I know what you mean BT. For whatever reason ,this particular forum, and Supra forums in general, seem to have a real shortage of knowledgable contributors. I hang out in corvette forums, ford pickup forums, KTM and thumpertalk - all are loaded with guys who know their stuff and are incredibly helpfull, but for whatever reason with a few exceptions (Like cree) everyone here has the same answer to every question or request for help:
for instance:
Question
One head light stays up , how do I fix it?
Answer
Slap a turbo on it man - then it will go 185 miles per hour and the wind will force down the headlights!

Question:
Where do i find a good clutch master cylinder
Answer:
Slap a turbo on it man! I did that and now I go out at night and eat hondas for breakfast - I drive really fast on the streets - I'm so fast you can see the size of my "junk" through my tight jeans!

Question:
My sunroof is leaking - any one have a good source of weatherstripping?
Answer:
Slap a turbo on it man! and some cool stickers, that way everyone will think you are bad as$

You get my drift. I'm having a really hard time finding a good dependable knowledge base for these vehicles.
I contribute when I can, but since I'm not slapping on turbos - and my application requires removing all of the bling and aftermarket crap, I'm not much help here. sorry posers, you'll have to figure it out by yourselves!

Oh yah - If you want to flame me - go ahead - unlike most of you posers I have a real fire suit - and I use it - in my supras - on the track so essentially - show me - don't tell me!

Carl Johansson

CanadianBak'inSupra 09-08-2010 12:46 AM

well if you put a turbo on it...
it may fix itself...

cre 09-08-2010 04:34 AM

If you're having trouble sourcing them through Toyota's dealer network you may want to try contacting MarlinCrawler to see if they've got them.

I hear you on the knowledgeability thing... but don't give the domestic guys too much credit, I've been very active on some and they have just as many complete dumb asses.... they're just shut down quicker perhaps. I suppose another side to the coin is that cheap imports attract more idiots (that's what they can afford.... the idiot who can afford to blow up his '90 Vette often ends up with only enough $$$ to blow up the cheap Honda which replaced it... then there are the high school and college kids living with mom and dad and basing their car choices on the movies.... F&F anyone?).

btwilson86 09-08-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre (Post 87627)
then there are the high school and college kids living with mom and dad and basing their car choices on the movies.... F&F anyone?).

Dude! How'd you know that's why I bought a Supra in the first place?!?!?

No, seriously though... I've come to the conclusion that there are almost no "knowledgeable" people; only those that know about 20% and BS the other 80%.

I think I may harass the local Toyota parts guys again tomorrow, maybe I can get someone else who wants to help and post back with some pn's (<--- that's probably a big maybe)

cre 09-08-2010 01:08 PM

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...=1#post1362766

Haven't rebuilt a SUpra diff myself, so not certain about those part numbers, but they should all be in the EPC too...