Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Overheating (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/17244-overheating.html)

theresthatguy 06-24-2010 05:35 PM

Overheating

Recently bought car in sig. Had the head gasket replaced because previous owner said he had taken the head off and messed with it and put it back on with the old gasket.

After doing some reading here and elsewhere: The radiator fluid is milky, I assuming from some type of BHG sealer? When I spin the fan clutch cold or hot it always spins about one blade over; does this mean it's bad? The car can only make it about 10 blocks before it's overheated. I hope that's enough info for you guys to help.

One last question I was looking for the drain cock on the radiator after seeing the radiator fluid color but couldn't find it? Am I that blind?

CanadianBak'inSupra 06-25-2010 12:20 AM

in my opinion if you already have went through the trouble of removing the head, you would have to be a total moron to not buy a new one...

and that milky stuff that was in your radiator was oil...
its because some ass hat put a used gasket back into an engine...

theresthatguy 06-25-2010 06:05 AM

also what about my observations of the fan clutch? did some more googling but everyone's wording is different. from what i gather, I should not be able to spin the fan at all when the engine has heated/overheated?

Grandavi 06-25-2010 08:37 AM

Check the Supra FAQ area in the front of the forums (its stickied). Read that area.. a lot of very important info.
I have never played with the fan, but I thought it would spin even when hot (just never thought about the clutch... )

The drain cock should be on the inside lower portion of the rad (almost always is.. but I have never looked at an MKIII rad for it yet) There is a TSRM (Toyota Service Repair Manual) link that if I wasnt going to bed, I would link for you. If it isnt linked tomorrow, I will.

I have never heard of anyone stupid enough to take off a head and use the old gasket. Are you sure he didnt mean replaced it with an OEM one?
they arent THAT expensive...

theresthatguy 06-27-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandavi (Post 85056)
Check the Supra FAQ area in the front of the forums (its stickied). Read that area.. a lot of very important info.
I have never played with the fan, but I thought it would spin even when hot (just never thought about the clutch... )

The drain cock should be on the inside lower portion of the rad (almost always is.. but I have never looked at an MKIII rad for it yet) There is a TSRM (Toyota Service Repair Manual) link that if I wasnt going to bed, I would link for you. If it isnt linked tomorrow, I will.

I have never heard of anyone stupid enough to take off a head and use the old gasket. Are you sure he didnt mean replaced it with an OEM one?
they arent THAT expensive...

I have been reading posts in the FAQ but none of them are clear on fan clutch operation.

TSRM linked in the FAQ has really small pictures but I did manage to find a PDF with better ones and it would seem my drain cock has been broken off.

You've heard of someone stupid enough now.

Grandavi 06-27-2010 04:28 PM

Well.. after looking over the 90 that I bought in closer detail.. I can say that not everyone does what we think they should with these cars.. lol.

Would you let your car sit with a baseball sized hole in the rad hose? and then try to sell it without replacing it? (cost him over 1000.00 for that snafu) Or, simply ignore a transmission problem because "you dont understand whats wrong with it" Or take a car worth about 3500 and let it sit because of a BHG that would cost under 500 to fix? Doesnt make sense to me..

Sometimes I wonder about people who start things and done finish. Or do them so completely wrong you wonder what they were thinking.. lol. Ah well.. the more they screw up, the more I save. I am thinking of buying 1-2 more MKIII's. 2 for donors, and 2 for drivers. One to go completely original and stock, the other for 400+ HP fun. The more I think about it, the more I think that doing the cars simultaneous wont be a whole lot more time (the second time is always faster). And the donor's make it a bit more cost effective.

theresthatguy 06-27-2010 04:36 PM

I guess since there was so much oil in the cooling system I'll flush it and replace the radiator and start from there. Will keep updated.

CanadianBak'inSupra 06-28-2010 06:54 AM

your radiator is more than likely fine. a good flush would be the best option.
also change out your thermostat and check your fan shroud and fan.

check for error codes...

theresthatguy 06-28-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianBak'inSupra (Post 85150)
your radiator is more than likely fine. a good flush would be the best option.
also change out your thermostat and check your fan shroud and fan.

check for error codes...

you're right the radiator is probably fine but the drain cock has been 'removed' somehow, making flushing seemingly messy ordeal as i'll now have to pull off bottom use to empty the thing.

fan and shroud are okay.

thanks for all the advice.