Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

supra_rulz is on a distinguished road
Default Installing BOV

ok, so i know SOMEONE has asked this question before but when i looked it up i didnt find any thread that was really specific to that. just one thread that touched on it but then talked about something else. i'm guessing its not that hard, just remove the black plastic hose and put the BOV thats on the flange where the hose used to go. but my question is if i should resurculate the air because of the MAF and which vacume hose goes where.
if threre's a thread for this, please just give me the link.
supra_rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You've pretty much got it all right. You have a KVAFM (AFM for short) not a MAF though... they are quite different types of device. The vacuum line merely needs to a vacuum reference AFTER the throttle plate. Tapping the vacuum line running to the cruise control is a popular choice, but there's no reason not to use the same vac line as the stock valve used.

Yes, recirculating is preferred. Not doing so can cause excessive richness when the valve opens and for some seriously irritating stalling and loss of power when trying to lean back in on the gas. Not everyone has a problem and I suspect it's largely due to the effectiveness of the valve to purge and do so quickly and the amount of boost, etc.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

ok, so i just read the difference between the MAF and the KVAMF. i guess we have the little bit older model. lol

anyways, so when installing the new BOV does the old one need to be removed? or can it just stay there as a secondary? and i really like the whosh sound that it makes, but if its going to mess up my car or significantly decrease throttle response, than i'm willing to do the recirculating. how difficult is that? and will the whosh noise basically be gone?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra_rulz View Post

anyways, so when installing the new BOV does the old one need to be removed? or can it just stay there as a secondary? and i really like the whosh sound that it makes, but if its going to mess up my car or significantly decrease throttle response, than i'm willing to do the recirculating. how difficult is that? and will the whosh noise basically be gone?
as of right now you have a bpv.. a recirculating bov. I heard about doing something in succession but don't have info on the subject. Don't even know if its possible..

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
as of right now you have a bpv.. a recirculating bov. I heard about doing something in succession but don't have info on the subject. Don't even know if its possible..
yeah, i was talking about the succession thing too. i think i read about it somewhere? but not too sure. would it be redundant?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

well w/o reading up on it... sounds like it, yes.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

ok. So I guess I can take it off.
But either way I'm guessing there isn't a thread that goes in detail about this?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
bryanf89
3" Exhaust

bryanf89 is on a distinguished road

try supraforums
bryanf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can run them in sequence. You'll need to check the opening spring rates so you know which will open first, you definitely want one to open a bit before the other to ensure that (if they're sharing the same vac source) there is no latency introduced.

You say you like the Woosh,... so why are you looking to change? And yes, you can run two OEM style or Bosh style BPV too... supply them with vacuum from different location is my recommendation there.

Unless you're running VERY high boot and having issues with compressor surge there's really no reason to run dual unless you're running a BPV and a BOV so you can get that uber cool, ricer x-treme chirping going on... but the woosh will be significantly less too.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:11 AM   #10
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Yes, you can run them in sequence. You'll need to check the opening spring rates so you know which will open first, you definitely want one to open a bit before the other to ensure that (if they're sharing the same vac source) there is no latency introduced.

You say you like the Woosh,... so why are you looking to change? And yes, you can run two OEM style or Bosh style BPV too... supply them with vacuum from different location is my recommendation there.

Unless you're running VERY high boot and having issues with compressor surge there's really no reason to run dual unless you're running a BPV and a BOV so you can get that uber cool, ricer x-treme chirping going on... but the woosh will be significantly less too.
ok. i donno, i cant make up my mind. now it sounds like i should just remove the old one just to make sure that there is no delay between the two.

and....i'm kind of confused. i'm adding one because i only have a stock one and it doesnt make the whosh noise as loud as i'd like it to.

and no, since i'm just starting to build it up, i'm running stock boost even though the previous owner was running like...12-14psi with almost stock everything