Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

supra_rulz is on a distinguished road
Question Almost BHG

so basically i took my car to the car shop i go to, and had them test the coolant for hydrocarbons. came back positive.....kinda. they smelled the gasoline but the tester didnt really register. so basically since i dont know if the HG's been replaced, i'm going to just go ahead and replace it. so my first question is kinda a list of all the parts i'm going to need and if i should go with the 1.2mm or 2mm. and studs, heads ect. second question is since i'll have the car apart and stuff, what engine mods i should put on. anything will be helpfull. i think. lol thanks
supra_rulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You should get the oil tested by an oil analysis lab for fuel contamination and do a leak down test to see if new rings are merited.... Now's the time to do a rebuild if the engine needs it.

NEVER run a 1.2mm HG unless you are positive you want a sizeable increase in compression ratio... especially on a turbo equipped car and especially since you're going to have to have material shaved off the head and most likely the block deck to get everything smooth enough for a metal HG. The stock HG is 1.37mmm when compressed. Look at other manufacturers for more options in thickness. If you're completely sold on HKG Stopper HGs then remember that the head and block decks MUST be smoother than glass!!!
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed this is posted in the completely wrong section... if you're unsure of the purpose of a forum please read it (at the top of any given forum's main window) before creating a thread.

Thread moved.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-04-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
jdmsoup
3" Exhaust

jdmsoup is on a distinguished road

whatever you do get arp studs if you dont already have them. they are life savers on this car.
xs sport manual boost control.
hks ssq bov.
greddy front mount.
3"downpipe with 3" straight through piping back to tip
kyb shocks.

"In life its not what you know, its who you know"
jdmsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsoup View Post
whatever you do get arp studs if you dont already have them. they are life savers on this car.
i kinda got that from all the posts i've been reading lol
is there a difference between the studs and bolts? i think. it seems like people talk about them as two different things
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
jdmsoup
3" Exhaust

jdmsoup is on a distinguished road

haha yeah i figured i got the part haha its not hard to pick up haha but just get studs i got mine from driftmotion.com its the cheapest i could find them.
xs sport manual boost control.
hks ssq bov.
greddy front mount.
3"downpipe with 3" straight through piping back to tip
kyb shocks.

"In life its not what you know, its who you know"
jdmsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

ok. sounds good.
is there any easy way to tell if i have the studs, or even if my HG has been replaced? cuz when i bought the car, i looked in the engine bay and it has the ARP sticker.....
Old 06-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The HG is only obvious if the engine is pristine and spotless and you know well what a MHG looks like in profile... if it was replaced with a composite HG, there's no way to tell that's practical.

The OEM headbolts are hex head (allen) bolts, they require an allen key to remove them. ARP fasteners are all 12 point nuts. Some off brand aftermarket fasteners I've seen were six point bolts.... Oh, and then there's the TINY print which says ARP, IIRC.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
supra_rulz
3" Exhaust

ok. that makes sense. guess i'm just gonna have to suck it up and get a new HG and studs.

whats the main difference between getting a composite and metal HG? and seems like alot of people get the metal one, how does the thickness affect.......whatever it affects. the compression ratio?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
wstanek
3" Exhaust

wstanek is on a distinguished road

i gotta do this eventually~ D=
wstanek is offline   Reply With Quote