Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   okay so.. (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/16954-okay-so.html)

kadinz 05-21-2010 03:14 AM

okay so..

cleaned the TB and got the bitch runnin, now i got another problem.. sounds like theres a knock, you can hear it more when inside the car, can barely notice it outside the car when its running..i'm not sure what to make of this

when my friends mustangs MAF went out it started to sound like it was knocking, could this be it??

-kadinz

sorry.......meant to make the title, got a knock now.

batmmannn 05-21-2010 03:41 AM

Knocks

Could be bad crank bearings. Usually is.

kadinz 05-21-2010 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmmannn (Post 83354)
Could be bad crank bearings. Usually is.

damnit! i just got this engine replaced!!!!! how long do you think i have?

batmmannn 05-21-2010 03:54 AM

Knock

Take a video of it and upload it to you tube so we can all check it out. Where did you get the motor? If its a dead knock like on wood and it is coming from your block it usually means bearings Is it coming from the head or the bottom? Is yours a stick or auto?

kadinz 05-21-2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmmannn (Post 83356)
Take a video of it and upload it to you tube so we can all check it out. Where did you get the motor? If its a dead knock like on wood and it is coming from your block it usually means bearings Is it coming from the head or the bottom? Is yours a stick or auto?

auto, the sound kinda aligns with the exhaust, do you know what i mean? like i kinda got an exhaust leak and it sounds like its circulating with the exhaust.

batmmannn 05-21-2010 04:06 AM

exhaust leak

Well if it is from the exhaust yes they can make noise but it is usually not a knock. Did you install the engine? Could be the manifold gaskets. Do you feel any air pushing where you hear the sound? Usually if it is so compressed that it could sound like a knock it would be a small leak in the gaskets or a hole in the header pipe. Check were the exhaust manifold meets the first pipe there is a gasket that goes in there. See if you have air escaping there. Have you looked all this over? Take a very large screwdriver put one end on the place you hear it from and the other against your ear and see if you can trace it as being in the manifold or in the block. If it doesn't sound like a woodblock then it's probably exhaust.

kadinz 05-21-2010 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmmannn (Post 83358)
Well if it is from the exhaust yes they can make noise but it is usually not a knock. Did you install the engine? Could be the manifold gaskets. Do you feel any air pushing where you hear the sound? Usually if it is so compressed that it could sound like a knock it would be a small leak in the gaskets or a hole in the header pipe. Check were the exhaust manifold meets the first pipe there is a gasket that goes in there. See if you have air escaping there. Have you looked all this over? Take a very large screwdriver put one end on the place you hear it from and the other against your ear and see if you can trace it as being in the manifold or in the block. If it doesn't sound like a woodblock then it's probably exhaust.

idk, it sounds bad..the engine runs good and everything, it just...sounds bad, i dont wanna run it or drive it! ill check the exhaust tomorrow..see if it's that, maybe it spring a leak from all the gas being pushed through there when it started efffffing up!

batmmannn 05-21-2010 04:19 AM

Ok

Hope for an exhaust leak. Bad Bearings means total tear down or replace. If it is a knock from the crank bearings you don't want to drive it if you want to repair the motor. The sooner you stop running it the less damage will be on the crank.

kadinz 05-21-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmmannn (Post 83360)
Hope for an exhaust leak. Bad Bearings means total tear down or replace. If it is a knock from the crank bearings you don't want to drive it if you want to repair the motor. The sooner you stop running it the less damage will be on the crank.

the transmission is slipping sometimes, like it has completely just like fell out of gear, went into neutral! idk what this is..

kadinz 05-21-2010 01:41 PM

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...inz/th_car.jpg

kadinz 05-21-2010 03:24 PM

not a knock?

okay so i have come to the conclusion that the noise is no knock, it is a loose torque converter bolt, maybe one fell out, hopefully not.. but all i know is the noise is coming from the back of the engine and you can hear it clearly in the car but outside the car looking at the engine from above you cant tell.. gonna check that asap.

batmmannn 05-21-2010 03:55 PM

Knock Knock

OK, Check that out let us know what you find. You can get clues by running searches on Google for knocking transmission or keywords like that.

kadinz 05-21-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmmannn (Post 83382)
OK, Check that out let us know what you find. You can get clues by running searches on Google for knocking transmission or keywords like that.

alright. guess what i got? :D trans fluid puddle! yay! now i gotta find a jack and stands to tighten the converter, hopefully no bolts fell out.

kadinz 05-21-2010 04:14 PM

what color is the trans fluid supposed to be cuz this fluid looks almost the same color as the oil, slightly different tone but definately different smell, the trans fluid smells sweeeeeter

kadinz 05-21-2010 04:18 PM

god...im sorry, so many questions i keep forgetting, WHERE IS THE TRANNY DIPSTICK! if there isn't one, how do i fill the trans with fluid after tightening the bolts?

kadinz 05-21-2010 04:33 PM

dipstick tube isnt there....... i'm going to kill someone

kadinz 05-21-2010 07:40 PM

cool. so my car is fucked, once again i have an engine knock..

kadinz 05-21-2010 08:25 PM

guess what?

cars gotta knock...

guess what?

im going to beat the fuck out of someone if i dont get a refund.

batmmannn 05-21-2010 11:07 PM

Knock Knock

Not sure on this car if it shares the power steering fluid with the trans fluid. On my 325is Beemer they shared the same fluid so you would fill it up with the power steering reservoir. It might be that you fill it it up at the dipstick, I don't see in the manual where they point out a filler location for the transmission fluid. I could look it up in the manual. How can you not have a dipstick? Is it just missing? If you have no tube then that explains your trans fluid puddle. Sounds like you got totally screwed on this motor. The dipstick is located next to and under the master cylinder coming off the block at the back of your motor on the drivers side and should run down into the trans. Even if you have to pull the motor now and get a refund you are still royally screwed by the days of work you have already put in it. Might be time for small claims court! Who put in the motor? I'm so sorry for your trouble. Life has a way for throwing turds at us!

Remember if the car becomes too much trouble to fix you can still make about 2 grand parting it out on ebay.

ps if you curse on this forum you might get banned...

turbonicsperformance 05-22-2010 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadinz (Post 83395)
guess what?

cars gotta knock...

guess what?

im going to beat the fuck out of someone if i dont get a refund.

just drop the oil pan and replace the rod bearings there like 35 bucks at discount auto should take about 3 hours in a driveway just buy oil a filter bearings oil pan gasket and have a good torque wrench

it should cost a total of about 100 bucks at the absolute most and you'll have an engine that you know the rod bearings are good for a long time if you do the job correctly

kadinz 05-22-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullthrottlesrqsupra (Post 83416)
just drop the oil pan and replace the rod bearings there like 35 bucks at discount auto should take about 3 hours in a driveway just buy oil a filter bearings oil pan gasket and have a good torque wrench

it should cost a total of about 100 bucks at the absolute most and you'll have an engine that you know the rod bearings are good for a long time if you do the job correctly

i was told you have to take it all out to replace the bearings??

is this not true?!?!?! i could definately do this!!

try to give me an answer by saturday mid-day, ill be lookin to buy the bearings asap so i can get this bitch runnin again! :)

edit:::::::: http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/p...atgirlpoop.jpg

batmmannn 05-22-2010 01:00 PM

Bearings from below

I have heard of that being done... As long as your crank is OK that should work, but if you have wear on the crank would not you have to make sure you had correct tolerances on the crank bearings?

turbonicsperformance 05-22-2010 01:55 PM

yes but if the noise hasnt been going on very long it will be fine and yes you could do this just like i said before make sure you torque the rods with a good torque wrench and make sure to lube the rod bolts and bearings when installing if you plan on doing the main bearings they are difficult in car but they are honestly more than likely perfectly fine main bearings rarely fail