Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
dlfred
3" Exhaust

dlfred is on a distinguished road
Default Intake Pipe Connector Question

What is the purpose of the inline cannister looking part between the MAF and the TP? Is it important to keep that on the car or can you eliminate it?
I don't want to do anything to hurt performance. I was considering a flex hose to replace the 90 at the TP and the piece I have will reach to the MAF.
Might look....tacky, I don't know.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/...es/MA8879C.gif

It is #17875
Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

Like on most cars I belive it is to keep the intake quite.So it can be removed like most people do. And you don't have a maf you have a afm(air flow meter). Don't use a flex pipe. The idea is to make the air flow as smooth as possible. I would recommend aluminum pipe and silicone connectors.

Last edited by 907mge; 05-14-2010 at 12:08 AM.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
dlfred
3" Exhaust

Good deal and thanks for the picture. Very nice.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's a helmholtz resonator... it doesn't just quiet the intake, it removes oscillations (turbulence). Removal due to ignorance is not an excuse... if you don't know, look it up... I know, hard to say as there's so much bad info on the net these days.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
dlfred
3" Exhaust

Figured there was something to it, so what you are saying CRE is that you should not remove it? What will removing it do to performance?

And by the way, this is looking it up for me.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
907mge
20psi boost

I never noticed a problem nor a decrease in preformance or mpg's. With so many people taking them out, wouldn't more people have said something. Unless there is some solid proof to keep it in i'd leave it out.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

people are idiots.... I don't claim to be the exception. do some research. there's a great article out there about why Yamaha spends MILLIONS on designing their resonators.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
907mge
20psi boost

Then why does my 2zzge designed by yamaha run better with the K&N Intake with just a curved open pipe.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

It most likely doesn't, you may just be imagining it in most places in the power curve. The resonator is a neutral device in some locations in the curve, like any musical instrument they're tuned for a very specific range... the weak spots.. that's where the most noise is made and as such where performance takes the biggest hit. In some systems this hit is minimal due a more efficient design of the rest of the system, staged throttle bodies and so on. There are also very different types of noise removal devices... some really are only for making things quieter and some do cause a small level of restriction... not the case here.

Here, read through the following link... last time I'm searching info for others. There is a TON of information about this topic by people far more qualified than garage motor heads who half drunkenly assume that added noise = more power.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ight=helmholtz

K&N makes VERY poor filters by the way (this too is available on the net )... let's also cut to the chase on a couple other things while we're at it: larger diameter intake AND exhaust piping are not always a good idea (ESPECIALLY on a N/A); and a larger air filter that's sitting in a hot engine bay, sucking up air that's 20 degrees or more above the outside air temp causes BIG losses in power. You don't see a huge change in mileage because you're actually getting LESS air.

I'm done. Find your answers and think what you like it's obvious I'm not going to convince you and you're definitely not convincing me.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
dlfred
3" Exhaust

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Here, read through the following link... last time I'm searching info for others. There is a TON of information about this topic by people far more qualified than garage motor heads who half drunkenly assume that added noise = more power.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ight=helmholtz

K&N makes VERY poor filters by the way (this too is available on the net )... let's also cut to the chase on a couple other things while we're at it: larger diameter intake AND exhaust piping are not always a good idea (ESPECIALLY on a N/A); and a larger air filter that's sitting in a hot engine bay, sucking up air that's 20 degrees or more above the outside air temp causes BIG losses in power. You don't see a huge change in mileage because you're actually getting LESS air.

I'm done. Find your answers and think what you like it's obvious I'm not going to convince you and you're definitely not convincing me.

Cre,
I thought that asking questions and discussing possibilities was one of the benefits of a forum. I did some research but since I consider this site a research spot. I don't mind looking around for answers but what I found here was a concentrated source of info. I am new but without this forum I would have struggled much more. I don't adhere to every opinion posted, it is my responsibility to determine if the info I get is usable. The value of what each person has to say can be supported or dismissed all on the same page.
You have a huge impact on the site when it comes to solid tech help. I appreciate it. If this has become a burden or thorn in your flesh, I get it. I have similar experiences in the motorcycle industry, stupid people are out there.

If I am using the forum incorrectly I would prefer you tell me.