Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
PNK SLP00
Stock

PNK SLP00 is on a distinguished road
Default hello-new to supras-i think mine blew up:(....help

hello all
im new here and i hope you dont flame to much on me lol. but need so help.

first off i bought a 1987 turbo supra. its not the nicest looking(needs paint, some body rust) but hey its a supra. first off it has around 190K on the body and around 80K on a newer/used moter, sadly the guy didnt have the paper but for it, so i bought it for 2K. Now when i bought the car it had a slight tick and the guy said it was valve tick, first off the coolant cap blew off and over heated i turned the car off and re-filled it and the temp lever was at normal range from here on out.

..but about 50 miles later, when i drove it on the highway..no WOT no boosting i was in traffic. driving the car from indy back to ohio, the car lost power and started making a very loud ticking sound and it got louder as i reved it. so i turned it off like right after that.

lucky my friend has a truck at home and we towed to my place.

please any help will be nice.

thank you all
--

p.s. the only thing the car has is a t3/t4 and a full 3inch exhaust running stock psi

Last edited by PNK SLP00; 05-09-2010 at 02:28 AM.
PNK SLP00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

was the loud ticking noise coming from the engine bay??
or was it a knock??
how loud..?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
PNK SLP00
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBak'inSupra View Post
was the loud ticking noise coming from the engine bay??
or was it a knock??
how loud..?
welll i guess its a bit hard to explain without a video, but it sounds like its coming from the top of the block. its just a ticking sound gets faster and louder as the car is reved. doesn't sound like a knocking or i guess the " its sounds like i have rocks in my motor" sounds. im going to take the head off tomorrow and hope its just a bad valve or something with the head. its not smokeing at all on idle either.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
nfa_automotive
Intake

nfa_automotive is on a distinguished road

Well how is the oil pressure? The noise from the motor could be, not saying it is but sounds like it is a spun bearing.

My black supra I bought with low oil pressure at idle and a bottom end noise. Well pulled the motor apart, wasn't a pretty sight, spun #3 rod bearing, destroyed both cams the head and the turbo.

Hopefully that's not whats going on but it's something you might need to check. I'd check the camshaft journals for any scaring or bearing material.

The Coolant blowing out more then likely the head gasket is bad.
1987 Supra Turbo Targa Blue 5spd 175K, 3" Exhaust from Turbo back, Lowered 1.5", 89 Steering Wheel and Climate Control, JDM Power Folding Mirrors, HKS Fan Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, HKS EVCIII Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Deleted Boost Gauge in Cluster for Volt, MKIV Non-Turbo wheels

1987 Supra N/A Coupe Blue Auto - Parts Car

1987 Supra Turbo Coupe Black 5spd - Bought with a spun bearing - RIP

1987 VW Jetta GTI Auto 89k
nfa_automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
PNK SLP00
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfa_automotive View Post
Well how is the oil pressure? The noise from the motor could be, not saying it is but sounds like it is a spun bearing.

My black supra I bought with low oil pressure at idle and a bottom end noise. Well pulled the motor apart, wasn't a pretty sight, spun #3 rod bearing, destroyed both cams the head and the turbo.

Hopefully that's not whats going on but it's something you might need to check. I'd check the camshaft journals for any scaring or bearing material.

The Coolant blowing out more then likely the head gasket is bad.

well the oil pressure gauge is not working so i really dont know. you think if the headgasket is bad the head might have warped also and thats why its ticking? ive never taken part a 7mgte or any motor other then a civic. so it will be a learn as i go kinda thing. ill def be pulling the rods out and checking the crank/sleeves and the pistons and see what happens... if i post pics of it all apart would that be help ??
Old 05-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
nfa_automotive
Intake

nfa_automotive is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK SLP00 View Post
well the oil pressure gauge is not working so i really dont know. you think if the headgasket is bad the head might have warped also and thats why its ticking? ive never taken part a 7mgte or any motor other then a civic. so it will be a learn as i go kinda thing. ill def be pulling the rods out and checking the crank/sleeves and the pistons and see what happens... if i post pics of it all apart would that be help ??

No the head gasket is just something that happens on a 7M.

And it might not be the oil pressure gauge. Sounds more and more like a spun bearing. Oil pump might be dead.

Do some more recon and let us know. Easiest way to check for a oiling problem, pull one of the cam caps off, if they look scared, if they are your going to have to pull the motor apart and see what failed.
1987 Supra Turbo Targa Blue 5spd 175K, 3" Exhaust from Turbo back, Lowered 1.5", 89 Steering Wheel and Climate Control, JDM Power Folding Mirrors, HKS Fan Controller, Greddy Turbo Timer, HKS EVCIII Boost Controller, Boost Gauge, Deleted Boost Gauge in Cluster for Volt, MKIV Non-Turbo wheels

1987 Supra N/A Coupe Blue Auto - Parts Car

1987 Supra Turbo Coupe Black 5spd - Bought with a spun bearing - RIP

1987 VW Jetta GTI Auto 89k
nfa_automotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
PNK SLP00
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfa_automotive View Post
No the head gasket is just something that happens on a 7M.

And it might not be the oil pressure gauge. Sounds more and more like a spun bearing. Oil pump might be dead.

Do some more recon and let us know. Easiest way to check for a oiling problem, pull one of the cam caps off, if they look scared, if they are your going to have to pull the motor apart and see what failed.

thanks for the info ill be rippin off the head in about an hour ill take pics of what i see.