Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
TripleC
3" Exhaust

TripleC is on a distinguished road
Default 1jzgte Sputtering Backfireing, bogging down. Now it wont Start!

Hey fellas i have a 1jzgte motor with a PLX300 wideband stock twins, injectors and intake, 3 inch down, to 3 out. I have had issues with the car happen over the last 4 weeks.
I have not pulled codes. My buddy and I are going to do that tonight.
i ran out of gas 3 weeks ago. Filled it up with gas and The car started to sputter and loose power a few times the next day then went away .It sputtered a few times but it was typically right at the beginging of driving it and would go away. 2 fridays ago i almost ran out of gas again but found a station next to my office that only had 85 (dang) well it ran fine. then i let it sit over the weekend and didnt drive it. Well Monday morning last week i fill it up with 10 Gallons of 91 and less then a 100 yard driving after that my car begins to sputter and bog down.
well i make it to work with a minimal amount of this sputtering but it was similar to before when it sputered a week earlier. then i worked all day and drove it in the afternoon and it was bogging really bad and loosing power the AFC was reading 15 then 18 then 12 . then i could put it under load and it would leavel out then at about 4300 it would read at around 12 then jump to 15 when it would shutter bog or loose power.
satuday i swaped in a welded diff and tryed to run it in the gerage that night It backfired Sputtered and wouldnt stay on it would actually run at arounds 900 rpm then drop to about 75 prm then bounce back up. i think it would have stalled if i wasnt pushing down the pedal. I could ppush down and it would idle around 1500 then drop about to around 1300 and back fire about every 5 times it would reduce in RPM if i gassed it it wouldback fire.
so sunday morning i get it started and it ideling at 900 so i out some fuel injector cleaner in it and drive it to the Gas Station with minimal sputtering fill it up to the top with 91 so the Fuel injector cleanor has enough fuel to work properly and i dive it back and forth a few times on the road in front of my house it Sputters under load back fires , then hits perfect then i let off and then push back down and i loose power the AFC goes crazy and reads 12 then 15 then 12 then 15 so i nurse it home and in the gerage.
i put it on jack stands with the front lifted only and ran it for about 25 seconds while trying to hold my hand over the top intercooler pipe coming off the turbos to see if i had a boost leak, it didnt sound like i had one and there was plenty of suction but it still didnt stall out.
so i shut it off - hook back up the top pipe.
and try to start it again...................... nothing i tried 12 times and i have nothing it dosnt event read a single rpm on my tach.
Please help if you can. I have a drift event in exactly 13 days and i have ot get it ready. This is also my daily driver
1JZGTE ,R154, Hallman Boost Controller, HKS bov, HKS Mushroom top Air Filter, HKS Front Mount Intercooler, Greedy Turbo Timer, PLX300 AFC, Custom Divorced Y-pipe, Custom Intercooler Pipeing, RS-R Concept Exhaust, Optima Red Top Battery, Strut bar Brembo Rotors, A1 Traction arms, Megan Coilovers, Stern ST 2 wheels rear 265x30 r19 - front 245x35 r19, New Front Lip, 18 x 8 and 18 x 9 MRR HR2 with whatever for Drift treads
2 additional C12A turbo's(Extra)
TripleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm not familiar at all with 1JZ's, but what you describe sounds like when you ran out of gas some sediment in your gas tank got pumped into your fuel system and likely clogged your filter and/or fuel pump.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
TripleC
3" Exhaust

I am thinking the same way. It has to be associated to the fuel and runing it our then getting low and putting in the bad gas. I am going to check codes tonight after work and will post my results tomorrow with what it is.
1JZGTE ,R154, Hallman Boost Controller, HKS bov, HKS Mushroom top Air Filter, HKS Front Mount Intercooler, Greedy Turbo Timer, PLX300 AFC, Custom Divorced Y-pipe, Custom Intercooler Pipeing, RS-R Concept Exhaust, Optima Red Top Battery, Strut bar Brembo Rotors, A1 Traction arms, Megan Coilovers, Stern ST 2 wheels rear 265x30 r19 - front 245x35 r19, New Front Lip, 18 x 8 and 18 x 9 MRR HR2 with whatever for Drift treads
Old 05-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
AlexSchuSupra
Intake

AlexSchuSupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
I am thinking the same way. It has to be associated to the fuel and runing it our then getting low and putting in the bad gas. I am going to check codes tonight after work and will post my results tomorrow with what it is.
That is definately the problem if it occured the way you have explained it. I know you probably know this but it is a HUGE NO NO to run out of gas in a car. Especially in an older vehicle like yours and mine. These cars have had all kinds of crud and junk building up in the tank and when you run out of gas it tries to suck up everything and the crap is sucked into the lines and filter. I wouldn't worry much though, you probably will only have to change your fuel filter now. Let me know how it goes from there!
87' 1JZ-GTE Truck sized Spectre Air filter, Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump, GM Fuel Pressure Regulator, Welded Rear end gears, Targa Top, 3" Intercooler kit, aluminium intercooler, Ebay boost controller, Ebay Oil-Catch can, I HAVE POWER STEERING AND A/C :P K&N 2JZ Oil filter, Catrol Syntec 10w-40 Fully synthetic oil
AlexSchuSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Cameroonski
3" Exhaust

Cameroonski is on a distinguished road

I agree. Change the fuel filter, and put some sea foam in your tank... its kinda bad for your gaskets and stuff but if you have that much gunk in there i would say clean it as much as you can. When you do take the filter out, check how much gunk is in there. When i changed mine, i knew i had a problem. I dropped the tank and it was rather rusty :/ just give it a good clean and a REALLY good dry and put some Stabile or Sea foam or water removing agent in there with your next tank of gas. Good luck!
Cameroonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
TripleC
3" Exhaust

It runs. Last night we got to digging and found some fraied wire that was grounding out on the top of my engine. once we fixed the wire and secured the loom away from the motor it ran perfect. good boost all the way through and no problems. We also replaced the terminal ends on my battery connections in the trunk so the combo helped get enought juice to run the electric properly and without a short. I am just glad it has been fixed.