Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Manual VS Auto for Boost Power??? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/16297-manual-vs-auto-for-boost-power.html)

DemonCrest 03-10-2010 09:30 AM

Manual VS Auto for Boost Power???

I had a long discussion with my coworker from work who is into MKIII Supras as well, and he made a comment to me which I never thought about before but maybe you would all know. He said that Auto MKIII's are be better than Manual MKIII's at building boost.

I dont remember exactly to what extent he meant that or if this was totally a fact proven statement, but I remember he mentioned something to do with when idling Auto MKIII's build up a lot more boost than a Manual does.

Reason I asked him about it was when I was thinking of getting a Turbo model, or else making a turbo on my own, and he was saying go for the Manual one if it doesn't have a turbo, and go for the Auto if it does.

Any thoughts or contributions to this? I dunno how correct down to the facts he is or really how much of a difference, if any there is between the two situations.

Green7mgte 03-10-2010 12:54 PM

it's nice to see someone actually promoting the automatics.. everyone I know trashes me for having an auto.

Cyto 03-10-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green7mgte (Post 79887)
it's nice to see someone actually promoting the automatics.. everyone I know trashes me for having an auto.

EVERYONE! lol they all make fun of autos. Every single person. "You have an automatic Supra!?"

But when it comes to race time, they stop hatin'.

Automatic builds CONSTANT boost. Through all 4 gears. It never quits boosting, so it is better for turbocharged vehicles.
Manual is better for certain things, like acceleration, but that's IF you know how to shift.

I usually just shift my auto manually if I wanna show off, but then again the ECT button does the exact same thing as me pushing more rpms and shifting from L-2-D(O/D OFF)-D(O/D ON)

I like manuals because they are fun to drive, and you can hear the boost let out, which is intimidating.

In conclusion, hating on automatic cars can have repercussions..

Automatic builds constant boost, and doesn't let it go until you let off the accelerator, manuals have to re-build boost ever shift.

Hope this helped.

TripleC 03-10-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyto (Post 79893)
EVERYONE! lol they all make fun of autos. Every single person. "You have an automatic Supra!?"

But when it comes to race time, they stop hatin'.

Automatic builds CONSTANT boost. Through all 4 gears. It never quits boosting, so it is better for turbocharged vehicles.
Manual is better for certain things, like acceleration, but that's IF you know how to shift.

I usually just shift my auto manually if I wanna show off, but then again the ECT button does the exact same thing as me pushing more rpms and shifting from L-2-D(O/D OFF)-D(O/D ON)

I like manuals because they are fun to drive, and you can hear the boost let out, which is intimidating.

In conclusion, hating on automatic cars can have repercussions..

Automatic builds constant boost, and doesn't let it go until you let off the accelerator, manuals have to re-build boost ever shift.

Hope this helped.

Completly accurate - SHifting takes time no matter how quick you are. I have a manual and would have to concure with the statement above.

Green7mgte 03-10-2010 09:06 PM

a big WHOOT to automatic supra owners everywhere..

TripleC 03-10-2010 09:29 PM

would i ever change my manual out NO. would i take an automatic out yes.
Most of us have lower power needs 300-450 i think in this range you have more power with a Manual but with over 450-++++ Auto will just plan drive. no messing around!

cre 03-11-2010 06:14 AM

I like both. The manual transmission is a bit lighter and more...well... raw. The auto is great as you don't really lose boost when shifting from one gear to the next.

In a high HP build I prefer auto actually; lower power turbos, either; in N/As... manual... gotta have something to do while you're waiting for the car to get some speed going. :rofl:

Supra Saiyan 03-11-2010 07:30 AM

Man transmission

...Man. Transmission.. All the way.. You can't be seriously thinking auto is more fun.. Sure there are advantages and yes yes I know about Nascar and stuff.. That's more like the newer m3 transmission though.. Really, I feel like Man transmission is just MORE FUN!

I mean seriously.. It's like 7 against 1.. Only one person fan boyed out the Man. Transmission. I gotta back my brotha up..

Man. Transmission.. I mean.. Just look at this --> "MAN TRANSMISSION"

Autos can :gtfo:

MA70-3.0GT 03-11-2010 05:11 PM

Sorry but i'm gonna side with the "slushbox"! After all the supra, even by its own designation is a GT car not out n out sportster, and a grand tourer should be easy on the driver. That means no clutch workout and having the choice (which it is on these boxes) not to shift.

Ok a manual box is always gonna be more involving for the driver, and no doubt better on the n/a motor, but you gotta ask yourself what youre in a supra for. Personally i like having the comfort and gadgets while still being able to lay waste to anything upto and including M3s and cossies of the same era, and to this end the auto suits me down to the ground...

bioskyline 10-13-2010 03:36 AM

the autos are great till the need work, but i found my car lost speed going from auto to manual.