Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road
Default safc1 installation

im finally ready to install my safc1 but I ran into acouple questions along the way. here is the link to the installation diagram http://www.alamomotorsports.com/apex..._safc_wire.pdf
trying to decide which I am suppose to use.
Im pretty positive I have the MA071. its a 1992 7mgte.
but anyway i was going with what fit me closest. would be the t5-a diagram. Now i know i seen posts about this before But cant find them for some reason. and supra mania new software is not yielding any results for my searching. lame.
second question is the diagram only states 7 wires. meaning I have 4 left over.. I can get that for other cars makes and models just wanted to double check.
any assistance would be helpful.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It all looks correct except for the connection directly to the right of the throttle line... according to the TSRM and the TEWD there is nothing there... It'd help if I could actually read what kind of pressure signal they're saying they're getting from there. The only thing I can think of would be the HAC signal except that in '89+ it was internalized.

Personally, I'd connect it the way they show in T5-b (What the hell's the difference between T5-b and c??? Man their diagrams suck.)... it's the same as the specified T5-a minus the mystery connection. The PDF appears to be incomplete as well.

The only lines you need are air pressure, throttle, RPM, power and ground.

SM is being upgraded.. THOROUGHLY, you may find it more effective to search the site with google for the time being.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

it looked incomplete to me also. very vague concerning wire colors and there corresponding location in the ecu. I know for a fact that there were posts on these. I seen them. just cant seem to re-locate them.
http://www.xspeed.com.au/manuals/Apexi_S-AFC_manual.pdf
that gives different wire colors but no locations. bah.

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The wire location in the diagram I said to use are correct. Yes, the PDF you first posted is incomplete as it is missing the Operation portion of the instructions (page 33 forward).

In case you're unaware the 7M-GTE uses a KVAFM (Karman Vortex AFM) and the 7M-GE uses a VAFM (Vane AFM); So, if you end up using different instructions make sure you use the correct instructions (KVAFM).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 02-05-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
so whats rpm signal 1 and signal 2?
I suspect IGt and IGf (trigger and fall off signals). IGt is used for determining RPM, I can't imagine why you'd need a signal from IGf.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 02-06-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

There are two different ways of communicating a signal (used by Toyota anyway), a frequency based signal (used on the 7M-GTE) or a scaled voltage signal (used in the 7M-GE). The pink is frequency and yellow is a voltage output.

Here's the manual from Apex'i: http://www.apexi-usa.com/content/pdf6135.pdf You want the diagram on page 44.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

very good so now I have my wires labeled. what about the points on the ecu itself. using the first link t5-b there are points for rpm signal 1 and 2. but i have only one rmp wire. and the karman diagram on one you provided don't specify 2 rpm signal wires. or a splice / cut. like the air in/out any thoughts?

it says regular connection rmp 1
plural connection rmp2. what the heck does that mean?

Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ

Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Already covered that... you just need a signal from IGt. Look it up in the TSRM (EFI section).

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Do you have a wideband and gauge installed? If not don't make ANY changes until you get one installed or can have a shop tune it.

IGf is only really needed with ignition control systems.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7mgte View Post
the safc allows you to monitor to an extent and adjust the value.
It may allow you to see what airflow signal the ECU is getting from the meter, but it doesn't tell you at all how much fuel the ECU is actually delivering or how your changes are affecting it. You could always monitor the Vf feedback, but it's pointless in any setup that's remotely close to stock as it only provides feedback for closed loop operations and under certain rare conditions at WOT.

Portable wideband is the way to go as it allows on-the-go tuning. Get it close and dyno for for fine tuning if needed thereafter.

Tip Jar --->