Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
Eamon
Stock

Eamon is on a distinguished road
Default Hey, I'm looking to buy a Mk III

Hey everyone. So I just got $2000 in cash for Christmas and I think I can use this to help purchase a Supra Mk III. It'll probably have to be NA and not Turbo as I'm only 17 and need to avoid high insurance costs. Do you think me buying one will be smart? I don't know much about them now but I am willing to learn. Also do these cars perform well in the winter? I live in PA and we get quite a bit of snow and the car will be a DD. Sorry if these are all noob questions.

Last edited by Eamon; 12-25-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Misspelled "buy" in title.
Eamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

One thing you'll need to keep in mind while looking is that these cars are all about 20 years old, and not all have been taken good care of. $2000 will get you a Supra, but you're going to have to be careful when buying one, as it's very easy to get one and then shell out nearly as much or more than you paid for it just fixing the problems it's already got. It all depends on how diligent the previous owner was about doing required maintenance, and whether or not you have a regular amount of disposable income coming in to do the inevitable repairs and maintenance that goes along with buying an older vehicle.

MkIII's can be great cars, but they do tend to be something of money pits if you're not careful. Be prepared, do your homework on any car before you hand the money over.

GL to you in your hunt.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Eamon
Stock

Thanks alot.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
BlueTuner
Intake

BlueTuner is on a distinguished road

Hey, im 16 and have a 89 turbo. my suggestion is to hold on and buy a supra later on. Just because these mk3 are soo old, most of them will have small little problems, so unless you know alot about cars, you might be ending up spending alot of money for little fixes. Also these cars are not really good in winter. I fishtail crazy when i drive, even at really slow speeds, good thing if you like fishtailing. If i were you go buy a good daily driver, like a civic and buy a supra for side project.
BlueTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I have any trouble with mine in the snow is when I wait too long to swap on my winter tires. My car handles great in the snow.

I agree with the others though; These cars may be cheap to buy, but they're not cheap to own. If you can't do your own work and can't afford to be without the car from time to time (like while you're replacing the head gasket) then forget it. I love these cars but I really don't think they're a good first car, they're not a low maintenance vehicle if for no other reason than age and they're not a cheap car.

Now, if you still decide to get one, we'll be ready to help however we can.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Eamon
Stock

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Eamon
Stock

Looks like I won't be getting a MkIII for awhile after talking it over with my parents. They don't think it is a very practical car for me (especially in the winter) and they think maintenance will be a problem as it is difficult to find parts. D:
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
mirage83
12psi boost

mirage83 is on a distinguished road

Well, your parents are probably right in this case. They aren't really a practical car for someone just starting out, especially if you don't have the means (read: disposable income) to spend on the car to fix whatever problems it's got once you've bought it. And those problems will be there, without a doubt.

Put a MkIII down on your to-do list, right alongside that cute red-head in your lit class. Once you're in a better position to burn money regularly, then go for the Supra. Trust us, they're more jealous of your time and money than the most high-maintenance girlfriend you can possibly imagine.
mirage83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #9
brad88supra
Intake

brad88supra is on a distinguished road

im 16 and my 1988 N/A is my first car, the previous owners brother in law who is said to be a good mechanic rebuilt the motor. It had 6,000 on the rebuild when i aquired it, the only problems i have had are bullshit electrical problems. i can barely gat into the damn thing without setting of the alarm. With that said its a very reliable car. i paid 1400 for it because the paint and seats are for shit. the only regret i have in buying it is that i didnt get a turbo. but that will come this summer, the na is still fast enough to beat v6 camaros and firebirds and mustangs that are way newer than my car. If you can find one in good shape for the right price i would suggest gettin it.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #10
Eamon
Stock

Ok so I still don't have a car but a dealership in my area is selling an 87 Turbo for $2700. My neighbor knows the owner so that's a plus.

Here's the Craigslist ad:
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/1574582350.html

What does everyone think?