Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Bubbling Noise (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/1576-bubbling-noise.html)

Makavelli 08-18-2005 02:41 PM

Hey experts, here's one for ya

This mornin when I fired up the Sup, as I backed outta the garage I heard a sound that resembled water bubbling under the hood. Don't know if this is related, but when I first got in the car I thought it smelled funky, like mildew or wet carpet. I figured maybe I was imagining it, but then I hear the water noise, so I dunno.

Yesterday I had 2 temp spikes. One after getting gas, when I turned on the engine. Though it didn't reach HOT, the temp guage went to about 3 quarters to the top. On the way home yesterday, for no reason while driving in bumper to bumper traffic, the temp guage went to just over halfway. (It normally sits at a bout a quarter) then went back to normal.

Is my car possesed by gremlins?

Skyer 08-18-2005 04:23 PM

my car also sounds like rushing bubbles under the dash, but no mildew odor nor heat spikes. I was told that it has something to do with the hoses for the heater or something like that. there's two pipes at the back of the engine, one on the left, and another on the right, one has to be plugged can't remember which one.

I do have another problem with the cooling system, I sometimes build up pressure inside the water system? but the head gasket seems to be in mint condition.....

Who knows..... old cars gotta love them

Makavelli 08-18-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Skyer@Aug 18 2005, 04:23 PM
my car also sounds like rushing bubbles under the dash, but no mildew odor nor heat spikes. I was told that it has something to do with the hoses for the heater or something like that. there's two pipes at the back of the engine, one on the left, and another on the right, one has to be plugged can't remember which one.

I do have another problem with the cooling system, I sometimes build up pressure inside the water system? but the head gasket seems to be in mint condition.....

Some have suggested BHG, but hell I just had it checked 2 weeks ago and it came out sqeeky clean...

Intenseneal 08-18-2005 04:56 PM

The sound you are hearing might be the start of a blown head gasket my car make the same sound

SuperSupra86 08-18-2005 05:08 PM

well my first guess would be seepy head gastket....my second would be replacing hoses in the cooling system...air has got to be coming from somewhere...their maybe a leak...maybe get some dye that shows leaks

daiagaru2 08-18-2005 07:39 PM

could be,bad thermostat,bad hg,bad rad,bad heater core lines,if gremlins existed they'd probly do alot more damage than that.good luck

supra887mgte 08-18-2005 07:54 PM

those stoupid ggremlins hey u need to put mayonase in ur intake tube itll definetally solve the gremlins

Poodles 08-18-2005 10:48 PM

If you smelled something, you probably have a heater core with a leak, or a heater core hose leaking. If it's draining while sitting, then getting filled again while running, you're also going to go low on coolant. Could be a BHG, as they are known to go quick too...

suprra_girl 08-19-2005 12:07 PM

^ thankyou hehee

yeps.. low on water for bubbling in the dash (you need to top up and burp)

bubbling and smelly inside sounds like heater core leaking

Makavelli 08-19-2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by suprra_girl@Aug 19 2005, 12:07 PM
^ thankyou hehee

yeps.. low on water for bubbling in the dash (you need to top up and burp)

bubbling and smelly inside sounds like heater core leaking

Would that make it run hot? Yesterday, it started to run hotter again. Not OVERHEAT, so much as just hotter than normal. Normally she runs in the 1/4 mark, yesterday she got as high as 3/4 at one point. When it's moving, the temp goes back to normal, but when its sitting, it rises (albeit very slowy).

I've never heard a fan kick on, does this thing have one?

suprra_girl 08-20-2005 08:19 AM

TOP UP WATER!!!

LOL

isn't your bhg light on telling you ur low on water?

ddmcse 08-20-2005 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by suprra_girl@Aug 20 2005, 04:19 AM
TOP UP WATER!!!

LOL

i think she means your reserve water bottle light aka BHG light .
this warning light must have gone off by now . on the left side . indicates low water level in the reserve water bottle up front .
could be a crappy fan huh ? isn't that something the other one you looked at had a crappy fan too . how odd that 2 supras have crappy fans causing over heating .. NOT

it's amazing that so many "highly trained people" have looked at your car before you bought it and gave you a complete clean bill of health .
and then what 1 week later you're singing the BHG blues . Toyota told me i didn't have a BHG once too , and then they hosed me down with the price of a new radiator .. who can you trust

i suppose you could try and re-torque the head bolts , but it's prolly too late to do much good .

you can fight it for a long time ..
keep an eye on water levels
keep an eye on temp gauge
keep your finger on the heater on button

i'd say it's time to break out your warranty

it's a good thing you have that warranty right ?
...course you're gonna find out the limitations of the warranty .

Poodles 08-20-2005 10:58 PM

If it's the heater core, and it's leaking, the pressure escaping can cause you to run hot. The pressure in your cooling system is what keeps it under control, without pressure, you'll overheat.

ddmcse 08-21-2005 01:07 PM

if the heater is not being used , coolant is not being circulated through the heater core . there is a valve on the firewall that controls the flow(closes the loop).
you will find that when your temp starts to rise turning the heater on to 85 will cool the temp down , it's amazing that just this will lower the temp 10-15 degrees .
now since the heater loop is closed where is all that hot pressurized water going to go now ? kaplooey out the weakest point it can find .

there is a hose that connects from the very back of the head to the heater valve , this hose might look ok from the front but you might find cracks on the backside right next to the firewall . if it needs to be replaced the best bet is to get the replacement part from toyota because it has 2 formed right angles . this hose will go and then there is a very small hose right behind the water housing , a bit of a MF to get at , again a formed right angle (maybe it's a left angle for those down under (hehe)). i don't know if the n/a has the one blocked off / capped off coolant exit on the exhaust side of the block or not but it's a candidate for blowing.

here is some " been there done that" for you :

Posted on Aug 20 2005, 06:16 AM
QUOTE (suprra_girl @ Aug 20 2005, 04:19 AM)
TOP UP WATER!!!

LOL

ddmcse Posted on Aug 20 2005, 06:16 AM
i think she means your reserve water bottle light aka BHG light .
this warning light must have gone off by now . on the left side . indicates low water level in the reserve water bottle up front .

all i keep hearing in my head is ozzy osborne's "denial" you're in denial , you'll never believe it's you .

might wanna stop phuqn around and fix it , before you really cook the head

Poodles 08-22-2005 12:10 AM

Yeah, but jumping to the conclusion it's the HG is a bit hasty as he's smelling musty inside the car, which sounds like something else entirely. Also, from what I hear, the heater core is only turned off when your climate control is at 65.

ddmcse 08-22-2005 01:04 AM

i wouldn't wish a bhg on anyone .
my money is still on a bhg
the heater core prolly would have been leaking from the day he got the car ...what a couple of weeks ago
where the gasket can be brought on by seeing what the old girl has left in her .
when it's summer time most people would set it to 65 and turn on the a/c i would imagine .
i havent seen a post by this guy in a couple of days . we'll see what progress he has made

supeee 09-19-2005 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyer

my 88 turbo targa had the bubble sound to and i think it tis the heater hose on the back of the engine. My temp always spiked to and I presure test done and the car was loosing pressure. It did't act like a blown head gasket but when i took it apart the the top layer had a crack in it. I would pressure check.

mrnickleye 09-21-2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poodles
Yeah, but jumping to the conclusion it's the HG is a bit hasty as he's smelling musty inside the car, which sounds like something else entirely. Also, from what I hear, the heater core is only turned off when your climate control is at 65.

Ok....my $0.02 of personal "experience". True, the water flows thru the heater core all the time, except at 65* on the controls. The guy said he was having issues of a 'pressure' buildup in the system. That comes from a BHG, just starting probably. Have it tested with a block test, or an emmisions test at the radiator cap. I fought mine off for 3 winter months, then did the hg/valve job before summer came.

Our cars run with pressure in the system. So....
Leaking hoses (or loose clamps) are called that for a reason...they leak ! There will be signs of coolant at the leak.

The only place I've ever seen that will cause the coolant to NOT return from the bottle is the radiator cap, due to a bad gasket...and the hose to the bottle not sealed good or cracked. Then air will be sucked back in instead of coolant. This part of the system is NOT under pressure, so signs of a leak won't always be there.

interested! 04-15-2011 12:53 PM

Hi!
Had the same problem over a few months -- check the overflow bottle for extra water -the cap may be releasing due a VERY small head gasket leak -put the overflow tube from the radiator into water , run the engine and check for bubbles -get those bubbles checked for exhaust gas emissions , mine were positive -had to do a gasket change -then found the head was corroded and needed welding/skimming- seems to be a common problem !-7MGTE .

87hilux7mge 04-16-2011 09:37 AM

air in the cooling system will cause it to run hot, cuz air does not transfer heat as well as liquids. neway, you prolly have a pinhole somewhere in the system, be it heater core, hoses, or a HG. go to any reputable auto shop (sears auto center is good cuz they are a national store, not gunning them for business i just used to work there and they know their shit, plus i know they have the tools) and have them do a pressure test on your cooling system. it will tell you if you have any leaks. usually like 15 bux or free.