Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
suprakillz
Stock

suprakillz is on a distinguished road
Default Auto parts stores

So i went to O'reilly to buy a fuel filter and a set of spark plugs right.. well i go home and get on my computer, i have replaced fuel filters before, no big deal. well i had to look all over the internet to find out where the filter is located on my supra. i looked under the car, by the gas tank, then i found it. Or so i thought. The thing is though, the filter i got from O'reilly did not look like the filter on my supra.. But the filter on the supra was mounted on a spot were i had not seen one mounted before.. So now i feel like a jack ass since i don't know anything about supras. and i think:"well, maybe it's not a filter" i mean, it is a supra,maybe it's something else. So i decide to try and change my spark plugs instead (after looking on line on how to do it). i take one out, and it's tiny compared to the one i got from O'reilly. My first thought was "stupid previous owner". But the one from the store wouldn't fit... Well, i took a look at my invoice sheet, and there, in black and white, it says "89 Subaru 2.7" motha fuc#@$, i think to my self.. What if i would have bought oil and a filter, like i usually do. or something else,that once in my engine, it would have mess shit up... That's some bull shit there. i should have checked my invoice sheet, but come on. i said " 89 TOYOTA SUPRA. Toyota, i always start with "Toyota". and i said 3.0 not 2.7 That's something that shouldn't happen. We all make mistakes, but some mistakes are just uncalled for. I could have done a lot of damage to my car if i would have bought something else. I need to find a good Auto store.
suprakillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks for actually filling out your profile... well, the automotive details anyway... You should include that info in the actual post too or add it to your signature. (Might add the city and state, more likely to find someone willing to help you locally if needed. )

For the 7M-GE Toyota part numbers are:
Oil filter - 90915-YZZD1
Fuel Filter - 23300-49155 (This I would buy specifically from Toyota.)
Spark Plug - 90919-01121-83 (This is the NGK BCPR5EGP; Regular platinum with a .044" gap. Due to differences in sizing standards I recommend sticking with NGK's plugs, whatever model/type you use.)

Any decent parts store should be able to cross reference the part numbers.

Please post MKIII specific threads in the MKIII section. I think you may get better response and other may be more likely to find your info when they search for something.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
suprakillz
Stock

cool thanks.. not sure how to use the site yet. i just realized that there are categories for each car model. I'll keep playing around with the site to figure it out.
suprakillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
Busted Knuckles
12psi boost

Busted Knuckles is on a distinguished road

Also, the fuel filter is a canister type with banjo fittings on both ends. It is located just over the differential. I have a filter, but getting to it to replace it looks like a real bitch to get to. Since I'm getting ready to pull the transmission, I'll probably do it then with the car jacked up and half apart.
Busted Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

One side is a banjo, the other is a flare. You need to replace the washers on the banjo side when you replace the filter too.

And yes, this job sucks... great time to remove the fuel tank and replace the pump.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
suprakillz
Stock

so when i go and pick up my fuel filter (the right one this time, i hope) they should know what washers i need right?
i need to find a garage where i can work on my car.. the parking lot just is not going to cut it any more. especially now that is cold as hell, and it gets dark so fast.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The dealership should have the washers, if not take the old ones to some of the other local auto parts stores... shouldn't be difficult to find a couple the right size.

In a pinch you can improve your odds or reliably using the old ones if you anneal them with a torch and then make sure the two faces are perfectly smooth by buffing with some 600 grit sandpaper... I don't recommend this as I'm not accepting any liability if you do and you end up having to pull the damned thing back out because it leaks.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
suprakillz
Stock

Yeah.. i'll just look for them.. i don't have the tools to go trough all that, nor would i be willing to do it either.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
86.5 7MGE
3" Exhaust

86.5 7MGE is on a distinguished road
Default Check this place out!

A good place to look at when searching for automotive bolts, nuts, washers, and screws if you can't find them at the auto parts store is Ace Hardware if you have one you can go to. They carry more options than Home Depot or Lowes when it comes to Automotive Hardware.
NGK Wires and Plugs
Hi Flow CAT
MR Muffler
Super Coil
Techna Fit Brake lines
Clear Corner Turn Signal Lens
Projector Head Lights
Evo Fog Lights
Evo Body Kit
Soon ---> 3'' Exhaust
86.5 7MGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #10
suprakillz
Stock

yea. that place has all sorts of uncommon things.